5 replies to this topic

#1 Shruska55

Shruska55

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:45 AM

Tyler Slot Cars held an impromptu event today, this last Thursday in July. Against the current odds, 5 hardy, old f&^ts, men at risk came together to shoot the breeze about many things around the club track. We put a variety of cars on the track, casually discussing current events.

About an hour into our gaslighting, we decided to get a little serious. We gave each other the nod and decided to put up the Pro-Track F1s profiled in the General Tech section, Yes, these are the same cars, and the pics look the same, but Hey! it's only been a week by crickey... At least this time there is some Trackmate info captured for posterity.

We launched 4 cars in 3 minute heats and once again Dave 'Chrome' Berry took the checkered flag. Scott "What Did I Say?" Hruska was 4 laps down with Moe "My Flag, My Flag" Calleson and Chris "The Shadow Knows!" Tanner were close behind.

Track conditions were a little tacky and we promised ourselves that we'd clean that up just before we all broke for a beverage in the insufferable humid heat of a Texas August. Hey! We knew it was technically July, but this had to get out before the weekend. It was hot. "How hot was it?" It was so hot... er. ah..Man... It's hot.

All fun aside, this was another shakedown for a class we are trying to develop for ourselves and perhaps other raceways looking to attract a new group of racers. We’re seeking new members once the COVID fades to black so are using the time to plan ahead.

We all agreed that it was good to be racing again. More to come as we flesh out this Pro-Track F1 Class

Care pic Left-Right: Chris, Moe, Dave, Scott

Attached Images

• PTF1Race2P1.jpg
  • PTF1Race2P2.jpg

• Dayble, Tex and cdtanner like this
Scott Hruska
East Texas

#2 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

Very cool! Just what you need in the Dog Days of July/August and September (Well Sept here in AZ anyways)  I built one a couple of years ago and I love it. Since I don't run it much I silicoated the rears so as not to have to worry about them drying out. What motor do you run?

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#3 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,029 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:28 AM

Congrats on a solid run, Scott.
  • Dayble and Shruska55 like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#4 Shruska55

Shruska55

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:37 PM

Very cool! Just what you need in the Dog Days of July/August and September (Well Sept here in AZ anyways)  I built one a couple of years ago and I love it. Since I don't run it much I silicoated the rears so as not to have to worry about them drying out. What motor do you run?

Dave,

We're also Scaleauto buffs and had a surplus of the SC-0026A motors. We're gear them 9/33 and it has seem to hit a sweet spot for us when the motor broke in. The F1s are turning about the same for slightly faster laps than, say, our SA Vipers. Dave's time is the F1 record to date. We're developing a compact set of rules around 4 tiers of mods from Stock Build to Open. The only basis will no structural changes to the chassis at all. I'll post those once the Club hashes them out.

• Dayble likes this
Scott Hruska
East Texas

#5 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:26 PM

We run the Scaleauto GTs also and we also take out the 0026 but it goes into old D3 Retros here. We run a H&R based Indycar series with the old yellow 0012 motor and this car has substituted there, but it's really too quick. I bought and built it as an Indycar hoping the other guys would also but I guess one Indycar series is enough!

• Shruska55 likes this
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#6 Shruska55

Shruska55

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:53 AM

We're having some fun trying to put together a class that will interest new racers and expand upward to keep creative interest while improving tech and driving skills. Our Club Prez bought one of the Pro-Track F1 rollers on a lark a couple of years ago and it sat in the dark. He brought it out one day and we went, Hmmmm. We're very pleased with how it's turning out.

If you take the Pro-Track roller chassis with the lexan body, add the SC-0026a, a decent guide and brushes you;ve got a great, complete starter car kit for new racers. It's quick enough for veterans too, but it's a teaching vehicle. Minor installation and setup, painting skills, body mounting and Bam! you're racing...

Heck! Put together the kit as a race handout and set the rule that the only thing that can been modified is how the body is mounted and weight addition and you've got a Stock Kit Car Class near RTR race waiting to happen.

• Dayble and Bill from NH like this
Scott Hruska
East Texas

Electric Dreams Online Shop