#1 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,944 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

An e-mail letter to my son today:

When my grandson gets a little older, like maybe 3 or so, I'll build him a slot car. He would need to start out like I did back in the 1960’s – a slow car that stays in the slot – but fast enough to de-slot if he nails the curves too fast. This teaches driving skills for when he drives real cars – you must slow down for curves!

If he likes running a slot car I guarantee he will be the best teenage driver ever. He will already know the pain of crashing. When he overcooks a corner, he has to stop having fun, put down the controller, walk a hundred feet, put the car back in the slot, walk back to the drivers panel, and continue. Lesson learned  :sun_bespectacled:

Another thing about slot cars, the majority of “slot car people” you meet at a commercial track are good, honest, friendly people. Yes they are a few jerks, but they never last long.

Learning to drive a car before you reach driving age is priceless. Spending a few hundred dollars here could save you many thousands once he starts driving a Ford Escape filled with friends.

When he goes to get his first drivers license, it all comes naturally. Accelerate, coast, brake, smooth, watch out for the “other guy”, etc.

He may get a kick out of slot cars, or not. That’s up to him. But when the time comes to find out, I’m ready to build him his first car.

Love,

Pablo

• NSwanberg, cuda man, Peter Horvath and 9 others like this
Paul Wolcott

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 11,228 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:14 PM

Build him a Jim Honeycutt rental car (It's on here some place.) or something with a circuit board chassis. Keep him away from cell phones & hand-held game-boys, or at least limit his time with each. How old is your grandson currently? Mine are 13 & 11. 

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:03 PM

remember the circuit board eurosports Woody used to build? we called 'em Plastic Wood. 

Steve Lang

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 11,228 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:17 AM

Woody's chassis would have made a good drag car, the ones I saw were fast in a straight line. I like how he etched a custom chassis "circuit board", then did a little cutting. Rat Shack sold board making kits, but I don't know the board sizes they came with. 

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#5 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,944 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:07 PM

Keep him away from cell phones & hand-held game-boys, or at least limit his time with each. 

I won't micro-manage my adult son on how to raise my grandson.

I'm the grandpa, not the dad. My job is to support the fun, not enforce it  :D

I build the slot cars and fishing rods, that's the joy of being a grandpa  :sun_bespectacled:

• Tim Neja likes this
Paul Wolcott

Electric Dreams Online Shop