• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Lindewall

Paul Lindewall

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:17 PM

I designed and built this "Race Control" building for my 3 lane Viper track. It spans the track and the (non functional) 'pit lane' behind. 

It houses the IR emitters (receivers are in the track), and has two sets of 5 LEDs for a Formula One style start sequence (complete with randomized delay between the last light and green flag.) There is a set on both sides, because the track races in either direction, depending on race night. 

Three color coordinated LEDs (Blue, Yellow, and Red to match the lanes) indicate which lane is currently in the heat lead. 

A detailed interior has a computer workstation with multiple monitors, each with a tiny printed screenshot of the race control software screens. Race Coordinator is used. The lap counter itself is home made with an Arduino. 

20200926_194852.jpg

20200926_194906.jpg

20200926_194932.jpg

Click the Youtube link for a short video of the operation. Track call buttons on each driver station trigger a stoppage, and the Arduino recognizes which button was pushed. On restart, the driver that pressed the button is penalized 3 seconds, as each lane has it's own power relay. "Crash'n'Learn" racing means you get 2 track calls per heat. On #3, you are DQ'd from the rest of the heat (power to your lane is shut off.)

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

• Rich Joslin likes this

#2 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:23 PM

More pictures!!

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#3 Paul Lindewall

Paul Lindewall

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:35 PM

More pictures!!

Don, you're 1.5 hours away! Copperhead Motorsports Park is located in Boiling Springs, SC! Come on up and see it in person! Cars and controllers are available at no charge! 

Super Venom Track small.jpg

• Tim Neja likes this

#4 Paul Lindewall

Paul Lindewall

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:14 AM

Sadly, despite my best efforts trying to attract racers (FB ads, ads in a local magazine, flyers, posts on neighborhood bulletin boards), Copperhead Motorsports Park has been sold due to a lack of participation. The last scheduled race was all set, with a clean track surface, polished rails, free snacks and sodas, and trophies waiting, and had ONE entrant (myself. I won. :laugh2: ) It now resides in Georgia, purchased by a gentleman who wants to race with his kids. It will, however, retain the Copperhead Motorsports Park name.

Electric Dreams Online Shop