16 replies to this topic

#1 Bladerunner

Bladerunner

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:26 PM

Greetings fellow slot racing fanatics!

I fell upon Slot Blog merely by accident September 30, 2020, and I'm happy to say, glad I did!

Slot racing was a habit that just would not leave me alone in the mid 1960's. I was 13 years old when my Brother in Law at the time introduced me to the hobby. 

First car was a K&B ford GT sidewinder that was a durable model, but nowhere's near as fast as the others. didn't matter though for I was driving, and in full control.

This was Whittier Grand Prix in Whittier, CA located on Whittier Blvd. A two story building with tracks for beginners as well as pros. As I got better, so did the machines. The infamous Cox La Cucaracha, although a pre-assembled model, was state of the art in performance, and design. Aluminum chassis, ball bearing wheels, and super lightweight! Every car I mention in this post, are still in my box (well, most of them).

I grew up in Montebello, CA, and there were many tracks close by such as Ray Crawford's Raceway in Monterey Park on Atlantic Blvd, Pico Drag Strip, Don's Raceway in Downey, Bellflower Raceway, and Valley Raceway on Valley Blvd (Temple City?). Wow! Memory is still pretty good. Valley Raceway was 1981 when slot cars made their last and final comeback. The machines were virtually to fast to see, and you played the track on the rhythm of your index finger, and sound of the motor.

It was at that time at Valley Raceway I had an idea on developing a propeller powered car constructed from bits and pieces from the junk box, and eventually put one together that was safe enough to actually race on the track. Hence the name I was given "Bladerunner" was born. A rear mounted high performance balanced, and de-wound motor, ball bearings all around, and a model airplane propeller similar to those that powered the old Cox prop rod attached right to the armature by heating the pinion gear up, and pressing the prop directly on to it. A little balancing, and it was ready to go!

No one before that day ever saw anything like it. Then one afternoon, I got a call from the owner of the raceway, and said "Jeff, there's a guy down here from Las Vegas"  with a "Wind Car" bragging, and wants to race you. I about dropped to the floor. When I arrived, I saw the design, and said "pretty nice" to him. The powertrain was a series of gears and shafts that in my opinion drained a lot of power to the propeller whereas mine was straight drive. Needless to say, I smoked him!

Man-o-man, those were the days! I'm going to work on posting some photos for the future , and hope you enjoyed the story. I love vintage stuff, and even do a vintage radio show now based out of Laguna Beach, CA at KXFM 104.7. Low powered station, so if you'd like to tune in I'd say listen online at KXFMRADIO.ORG for the best vintage jazz  you'll ever hear!

Until then, Follow your passions, work hard, and stay humble.

Kind regards,

Jeff

• Tex, eshorer, NSwanberg and 5 others like this
Jeff Taylor

#2 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:41 PM

I posted this before but here is a list of several slot car raceways that were active in California in 1967.

Attached Images

• Scan0010-002 (2).jpg

• Alchemist and Roy Lievanos like this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,581 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:14 PM

Jeff, welcome to Slotblog. I'll look forward to reading more of your posts.  :)

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#4 Mbloes

Mbloes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:48 PM

I've said it before, soooooo many dudes originally from SoCal.

Mike Bloes

#5 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 04:20 PM

Greetings and welcome Jeff!

That's a great introduction and look forward to photos you wish to share with us.

Hence the name I was given "Bladerunner" was born.

So that's where the Harrison Ford movie "Bladerunner" got it's name?!

Jeff, I might suggest you contact the movie production studio for royalties!  LOL

Again, greetings and welcome.

Thank you.

Ernie

Ernie Layacan

#6 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,899 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 01 October 2020 - 05:15 PM

Welcome to the forum Jeff.

Thanks to your post I finally found out the full name and location of the first raceway I worked in as a teenager. I had forgotten and have been racking my brain trying to remember for years. All I remembered was the name Crawford. It was, "Ray Crawford's Raceway in Monterey Park on Atlantic Blvd." It was in an old supermarket complete with old full size race cars and even a grandstand. 

At opening time, as the youngest employee, they made me unlock the front door and risk being trampled by the stampeding throng of kids entering. I was sad to see it close........

Since you said you loved the vintage stuff please check out this sub-forum:

The DC-65X Diaries

Thanks again for the memories,

Rick

• Alchemist and boxerdog like this

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#7 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 05:22 PM

thanks Tim, 

would it be passible to also see the pages for New Jersey and Rhode Island? 

(i couldn't believe that there used to be a shop in tiny little satellite beach, florida!  where i still own my dad's old house) 

speed 

• Alchemist likes this

Steve Lang

#8 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:42 PM

thanks Tim, 

would it be passible to also see the pages for New Jersey and Rhode Island? 

(i couldn't believe that there used to be a shop in tiny little satellite beach, florida!  where i still own my dad's old house) 

speed 

Sure, just need a few days to unpack my old magazines........"T"

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#9 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

thanks man. no rush

Steve Lang

#10 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:20 PM

Nice post! The more you dig into here the more you'll find that slot car racing is alive and well, with two new raceways open this month! (Cunningham Raceway at Electric Dreams in El Segundo, and Piranha Speedway & Hobbies in Whittier). 

We may have crossed paths at one raceway or another back in the late 60s. My home tracks were Fast Wheels in Covina and Hacienda Family raceway in Hacienda Heights, but I learned the geography of SoCal as our Team Boola made the rounds at a lot of the raceways on that list that Tim posted above. 

Looking forward to your posts and pics.

Eddie

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#11 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:28 PM

My old home track was Miniature Freeways in Costa Mesa from 1962-1966.  Then High School sports interrupted my racing and then real race cars!  The car in my avatar is from 1968 - 1972 time frame.  The picture is at the Winternationals in 1970 I believe.

• Alchemist likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#12 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 12:11 AM

There was a track in Trona?? I guess it proves there were raceways literally everywhere!

(For those not familiar.... Trona, California is very remote...)

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#13 The Sawdust Man

The Sawdust Man

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:03 AM

Would love to see pictures of the BladeRunner!

Robert Manzitti

#14 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:26 AM

Having been in Cali many times back then, I couldn't believe how many slot tracks there were. Most of my mother's family moved to the LA area after WWII, specifically Wittier, Canoga Park, Fountain Valley, Panorama City, Covina (for a while) and Huntington Beach. In 1965, my hot rodder cousin tried to take me to as many slot tracks as we could during the three weeks I was out there. We didn't even make a dent. I recognize a few tracks on that list, but I don't see International Hobbies in Pasadena listed. I would call that our "home track". We also went to the one on Sherman Way in Canoga Park a few times. I couldn't remember the name until I saw this listing. Actually, Daytona doesn't sound right, but I remember the folded-over dogbone track. 

By the summer of 1966 I had graduated to real cars, but we would still do a slot car night if nothing else was going on. I was spending a lot more time with my surfer cousin who lived in Huntington Beach. Could never get a handle on surfing, but I still have the long board he gave me with our pictures on it.  

• Tim Neja likes this

#15 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:16 PM

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to upload those listings!

It sure is appreciated!

Thank you.

Ernie

Ernie Layacan

#16 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:08 PM

Some more Raceway listing from Car Model magazine September 1967 issue.  Sorry I can't enlarge the type any further.

Attached Images

• lst-2.jpg
  • list-2.jpg
  • Raceway list 1967.jpg

• Alchemist likes this

#17 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 01:24 PM

thanks Tim! found the ones i was looking for. 

Steve Lang

Electric Dreams Online Shop