5 replies to this topic

#1 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:29 PM

Michigan Retro racer and all around great racer in all classes Rick Sloan has died from complications from lung surgery.

Rick was one of the best and he will be missed by all. For more info, contact Jerry Boogie Wyant at Boogie Speedway.

He was a friend and I will miss him.

Greg VanPeenen 

• Rob Voska likes this

#2 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,743 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:51 PM

Rick and I raced together in my early days of model car racing (70's) and attended events together such as the Bicentennial Race at Joel's Race Place held in 1976.

Rick and I were part of a group of wing racers based in and around the SW Michigan area that would regularly travel to Bob's Hobby and Bicycle shop in West Allis, WI, especially for their annual "Octoberfest" event. The same group of racers would go to Fantom Raceway to run on their King also.

I have had the pleasure of seeing many of the greats in Slot Car Racing and even had the privilege to drive on the same track with some of them, I feel that Rick certainly had the ability to be among the top racers in America if he had some backing. He was a self-funded racer and he made up for lack of sponsorship by working tirelessly on building and improving his racing cars. Unfortunately this affected his home life and out of respect that is all that I will say about that.

If I remember correctly, Rick was involved with a group of racers that bought a King and set it up for a few months in a shopping center in Battle Creek (MI)'s suburb of Lakeview. It was a real shame that the raceway didn't prosper in the way that was hoped.

Rick was a great builder and racer as well as an outstanding human being. I have some of Rick's 70's vintage hand built wing car chassis that I cherish.

I hung out a bit with Rick and his brother Phil at the 2011 USRA Div 2 Nats in Chicago. Rick finished 2nd in Expert 4" NASCAR (light blue shirt). It was the last time we spent any time together- I tried to contact him a few times after the Nats without success.

2011 USRA Nats Expert 4%22 NASCAR Podium.jpg

Rick also was TQ and finished 3rd in GTP at the 2011 USRA Div 2 "Nats"

Rick Sloan TQ GTP.jpg

Rick Sloan 3rd GTP.jpg

Rick was a heavy smoker back when I knew him and it is too bad that it probably contributed to his passing.
Godspeed Rick and sending our best regards to his brother Phil and his other family members.

That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#3 Bob Kolenda

Bob Kolenda

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:34 PM

I am very sorry to hear this. I raced with Rick many times and he was very much a  tough competitor.

Rick and Phil came to race regularly in Grand Rapids and were hard to beat.

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 01:16 PM

Here's Rick's obituary:

Richard L. Sloan, born Jan. 16, 1950, to Lawrence Sloan and Rosie (Tanner) Sloan, passed Nov 13, 2020.

Rick graduated from Battle Creek Central High School in 1968. He was a member of the State Championship football team.

Rick was preceded in death by his parents.

Rick is survived by his sons, Brian (Phoenix), Scott (Melissa)(Battle Creek), and Chris (Stephanie)(Grand Rapids); and a brother Phil (Ginny)(Battle Creek/Sebring FL).

Rick was a printer most of his life, working for Gage Printing Company. Late in his life he was employed at Hi-lex America which is a company who manufactures automotive components.

Rick brought up his boys playing baseball and racing slot cars. He was a very accomplished slot car racer and builder, racing nationally with his boys growing up and then in the tri-state area with his brother, Phil, in later years.

When Rick was 60 years old he discovered golf, which became his summer passion, playing with Ken and Phil. Rick also had a passion for astrology. He educated himself on what everything in the universe was about, and loved explaining it.

After Rick lost his own cat, he enjoyed stopping by the Battle Creek Humane Society on Watkins Road and playing with their cats.

Memorials in his name may be made to the Humane Society of South Cenral Michigan, 2500 Watkins Road, Battle Creek, MI 49015.

• Greg VanPeenen likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Rooster

Rooster

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 12:23 AM

I met him at the Bicentennial race in 1976. His friendly attitude was a nice fit in an atmosphere that was a bit tense.

Found out he came all the way from Michigan. I never forgot him though it was only a brief connection.

Wish we had lived closer. I suspect he had many friends and was a welcome racer.

I am sorry to hear about him. But he is my memory of a special time when so many from so far came together to share in the hobby.

Rudy Urban

#6 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,743 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 01:25 PM

This display has been set up at Boogie Raceway for the 2nd anniversary of Rick Sloan's passing.

P1.jpeg

P2.jpeg

P3.jpeg

• NSwanberg likes this
That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

Electric Dreams Online Shop