Photo

What slot car do you wish you still had?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:42 PM

For those of us that did not "retain" their slot cars from their "younger" days, what "specific" slot car/s do you wish you still had?

I'm cognizant we would have (I would have) liked to have kept them all!  LOL

I had a 1/24 K&B Cobra Daytona Coupe I wish I kept.

I really don't know what happened to it - as well as the rest of my slot cars?!

My best guess is that it was "lost in transit" when we had moved from San Francisco.

How about you?

Thanks for sharing.

Ernie

Ernie Layacan

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,543 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

I wish I still had any of the RTR cars I had before I opened them  :)

• olescratch likes this

Paul Wolcott

#3 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,388 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

A 1/24 Revell Lotus GP car, painted purple metalflake with wide foam tires on the rear.  My first "good" slot car for running on commercial tracks  :D  

I managed to hold onto most of the stuff I had around 1973.  A couple of early production anglewinders circa 1971, and my best attempt at a "pro" car around 1973. Plus a Gorski controller with Dave Bloom handles

"Whatever..."

#4 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:18 PM

As I've mentioned before my uncle Henry did sub contracting for Aurora. He had a plastic factory in Brooklyn where he also made Lucite displays for Revlon and companies like that. Of course he also made trade displays for Aurora. Don't know how many he made but he brought a few home for my cousin Joe and I. They were full of cars. We would take turns picking the cars. One I chose was a purple Charger with white stripes. That's one I wish I still had. One time he brought home a couple hundred Indy racers new in boxes. Nobody liked them back then. We would cover them with Testors glue, light them on fire and drive very slowly around the track until they died :) My mother and Aunt would yell out "are you burning something down there?" :laugh2: Wish I had them today as some of the rarer colors go for some insane money.

Another time he brought home giant plastic bags full of Vibrator bodies. Jags, Mercedes, trucks etc. When they switched to T-Jets they just threw this stuff away. I am not lying when I say there had to be over a thousand bodies.

Alas,all gone but oh what memories :)

• edscars and Rich Joslin like this

Joe Lupo

#5 pn6

pn6

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:29 PM

I had a 1/32 Strombecker Ferrari Testa Rosa that I loved and wished I had back. Like everyone else I have no idea what happened to it. I also want my 1/32 Monogram Ford GT. It's the first kit I remember building myself. 

Paul Nadeau

#6 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

While we are at it,  I'd also like to inquire as to what other slot car stuff you had at that time you wish you still had?

I remember my "first and only" third place trophy I earned on my first and only race (circa1965-66) at the San Francisco Ocean Beach Model Car Raceway - now THAT too, is what I really wish I could have kept.

I raced on the Orange Track - my favorite track!

When my wife and I had to relocate from our home in 2004, to move in with my parents to care for my ailing father, we had to downsize our belongings (meaning throwing away a bunch of stuff).

I recall (unfortunately in vivid detail . . .arrrrgh!!) having to discard that trophy as well as giving away my Hoffman Slot Car Box, which of course I wish I kept! ! ! ! 

I never thought I would get back into the slot car hobby because all the tracks near me were gone.

I'm so pleased to have found Slotblog, and always appreciate the camaraderie, helpfulness and even the "playful" banter, I find being a privileged member.

Thank you all!

Be well and make this year "grrrrrrrrreat"!  LOL

Ernie

Ernie Layacan

#7 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,388 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:35 PM

At least we all have the memories...at some point the objects will be thrown away, but memories last forever.

• Phil Hackett, Tim Neja, Alchemist and 1 other like this
"Whatever..."

#8 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:12 PM

I concur with you John - thanks for the reminder!

it's appreciated!

Now with all this technology us currently have, it would be fantastic if we could get hooked up to a 3D printer and print up our slot car from "our memory" instead of a "memory card/USB!"  LOL

Ernie

Ernie Layacan

#9 edscars

edscars

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:57 PM

In the late '90s I acquired an International Piranha yellow slot car mint in the factory stapled clear dome box.  Traded it away for around 8 Aurora TJet '63 Fords.  At least I owned the Piranha for awhile, and didn't have much into it.  I wasn't that into large scale cars at the time.

Ed Kipen

#10 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,110 posts
  • Location:Was Silicon Beach Adjacent - Now the Playa District

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:19 PM

I have 2 cars: I had a 1/32 scale K&B 1965 Mustang and a Mike Stuebe (Checkpoint) built wing car that I won in a raffle that I'd like to have back.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#11 Dave Person

Dave Person

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:42 PM

I would say my Hoffman box & my car that I had my first win with in 1969 at 14 yrs old with a Champion chassis, Champion motor and a Dodge Charger body. In 1973 I joined the Army and sold my Hoffman box and everything in it to a guy in the service dept of my Dad's stereo shop. About 10 yrs later I started racing again and called that guy up and asked if he still had all of my slotcar stuff. He told me that was two divorces ago and had no clue what had happened to it.I can only imagine!!

#12 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:39 PM

my hair LOL...........

my 1995 usra int15 nats car, my 1975 HO pc board chassis AFX magna traction

Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#13 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:29 PM

My Dad and I built a Revell 1/24 Ferrari 250.  We set it up perfect, following the instructions to the letter,even lapped the gears in with tooth paste. 

We drove to the local raceway (big event) and in the first turn I rolled it and it hit the wall. The car was so top heavy.

Could not figure why other cars were going twice as fast in the same turns (I was 13) first time on the big track.

But it is one of 2 cars I do not have from my childhood, and it was my first.

The next car I bought was the Dynamic Ferrari 330P3 kit. Way better and led me to scratch built cars. Maybe I traded them to buy brass, piano wire, and a Dyna rewind motor. I was off to the races. Happy I still have all my scratch built race cars.

Attached Images

• d120_1.JPG

• Pablo, boxerdog and MattD like this
Martin Windmill

#14 pn6

pn6

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

Martin That Dynamic is what I built to take on the Asp's and whatnot on our "Kit Car" night. It was a rocket and I was that hated little kid that was whoopin' on the old guys. I loved that car.That picture just flooded my tiny brain withold memories.

I messed up the Ferrari body and ran it only once then put a Lancer Ford MKII on it and cleaned up. After a few weeks I cut the top off ala "Big Ed" and broke the track record for Kit cars.....Yes the car is gone but the memories still survive!!!

Paul Nadeau

#15 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:35 PM

A metallic green, cut down Ford J-Car thingie.  Got one lap in on a track in Atlanta before I was told put back in my box - "We don't let them things in here!".

Don

• Pablo likes this

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#16 blue&orange

blue&orange

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

I have every car I owned, starting with my AMT kits and Astro V (is it Astro "Vee" or Astro "five"?) from the '60's, my scratch Group 7 car from the '70's, my first Womps and Flexi 1's, with one exception -- one of those Renwal modern revival cars that some relative bought me.  Except for the collectability, I don't miss it -- and for some reason I still have the green 36D that was in it, as well as some of the mint green axle spacers.  Like most kids, I hacked up those first cars, but thanks to eBay I have found a chassis here or a body there to restore them to like new.

• Pablo and Alchemist like this
Chris Matthy

#17 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:41 AM

I'm actually working on building a copy of my childhood Group 10 Junior car. Trinity Spyder chassis, Parma Ferrari 333SP body, Trinity based 16D. Just because I like driving those cars all over again. 

#18 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:45 AM

It would have to be my most successful scratchbuilt car: Lotus 40 over a brass strip chassis and my own rewind of a K&B Wildcat, with Versitec magnets (60 x 30)... It isn't only that I'd like to have it back, but I'd like to remember what the heck I did with all my cars from my teen years. I kept my HO car box and a few miscellaneous parts, including my most unsuccessful scratch chassis, but absolutely no memory of what I did with the 1/32 and 1/24 scale cars... 

Wouldn't mind having the cars I built and found in 74 when I started racing again in Seattle, but I know what happened to those: asked a work buddy if he wanted them when I set off on a European trip for the first time... He said yes! 

Don 

#19 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:57 AM

i did manage to keep most of my good scratchbuilts, which we all went to from the kit cars. 

but i do miss my old Russkit Chaparral 2.  got a rolling chassis and a couple other bodies (Lotus 40, McLaren) but can't find a decent affordable chappy for it. 

Steve Lang

#20 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 15,129 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:27 AM

Wish I had my car from the Cobra Mura race where I won the semi and made the main in my first pro race.

Also wish I kept my blue king single lap and total lap world record cars.

But back then we’d tear them apart to make new chassis or simply sold them off. They were disposable race
Cars, obsolete in a week or two. We never saw any reason to keep them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • MSwiss, Alchemist, elvis44102 and 1 other like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#21 stumbley

stumbley

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,337 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:47 AM

All the slot stuff my mom gave away while I was at college because "You'd never need those things anymore"

:dash2:

Stan Smith
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No one is completely useless - you can always serve as a bad example." -PartiStan

Democracies endure until the citizens care more for what the state can give them than for its ability to defend rich and poor alike; until they care more for their privileges than their responsibilities; until they learn they can vote largess from the public treasury and use the state as an instrument for plundering, first those who have wealth, then those who create it -- Jerry Pournelle.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

Things that are Too Big To Fail sooner or later become like Queen Bees, the Alpha and Omega of all activity, resulting in among other things, the inability to think of anything else but servicing them. - Richard Fernandez, The Belmont Club

#22 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:18 PM

I wish I had the Classic and Dynamic cars I had.

#23 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

This is long and rambling, like most of my posts.

This thread is enjoyable to read thru.    Chris is looking for bodies to restore the cars that he butchered up.    I still have my first scratch built car, but the body is really busted up after 55 years.   I have a new body detailed like that  first car.  I couldn't bring myself to change the body on that old car, so I built a similar chassis for the new body.  The new chassis a lot prettier than the build I did when I was 14, but is very close to the same style.   Something about having that car and busted body as I built in 65, makes it special.

My actual first car was a Cox 1/32 Ford GT.   About my dad's only trip to the slot track was probably buying that car.  One for me and one for my brother.  My dad did teach me about electric, soldering and many other skills I learned growing up.  Thanks dad.   That opened the door for building stuff all of my life.

Taking that 1/32 Ford GT to the local track showed me real quick it was a useless slot car.  I bought a few magazines and a motor and went home and built my successful scratch built car and I ran it for a full summer in the open class and won more feature races than I lost.

P10110002 (2).JPG

P1010028.JPG

P1010029.JPG

• Pablo, tonyp, Alchemist and 1 other like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#24 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:42 PM

None.
It's just stuff.
The fun is in the building, not collecting.

• NSwanberg likes this

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#25 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:58 PM

There are a lot of facets to the slot car hobby and building is one, as is collecting, restoring, racing, chassis building, home tracks, resin casting, painting and other parts of this enjoyable hobby.   One size does not fit all.  

• Alchemist, ajd350, Rotorranch and 1 other like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

Electric Dreams Online Shop