#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,274 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:48 AM

Adam Chaya made this terribly sad post at Facebook this morning:

"Very difficult to have to post this, but wanted you all to know my Dad passed away last night. He had become increasingly ill over the past couple weeks, as unfortunately we learned cancer had spread throughout his body. We were by his side last night, and he passed peacefully.

As most of you know, it's been a difficult past few years for him after suffering a stroke. He, as well as I, always appreciated everyone asking about him and wishing him well. Its been difficult not having him at the races with me, but I know how lucky I was to share the hobby and time together with him for so many years. I know the days and weeks ahead will be difficult, but it's the great memories that we shared together that I will always have."

Adam and Ed were one of the notable, and nicest, father-son teams in the 
Retro racing genre. And one of the best liked, based on the many wonderful comments posted by his fellow Retro East racers. There's no question he will be missed.

I only met Ed a couple of times at big Retro races but it was immediately clear that he was the source of Adam's kind personality and demeanor. As with so many who have passed away in recent months, I truly wish I had known him better.

My condolences to the entire Chaya family. 

RIP, Ed.

chaya2.jpg

• Steve Deiters likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 John Gorski

John Gorski

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:25 AM

Adam, your dad was the best. Great racing with him.

Thinking of you and your family in these sad times.

Peace & love...

John

John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#3 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:13 PM

Ed was a great man... I will miss him...

• Cheater likes this

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Known Slot Car Racing 
Celebrity

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

blog.jpg

#4 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 01:03 PM

A nice man and an excellent racer.

Condolences to Adam and family.

RIP, Ed.

• Cheater likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,274 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 06:58 PM

Ed's obituary:

Edward Chaya, 72, of Pen Argyl, passed away Wednesday, February 10, 2021, at St. Luke’s, Anderson Campus, Bethlehem. He was the husband of Joyce L. (Arico) Chaya; they celebrated 48 years of marriage, April 16, 2020.

Born in Somerville, NJ, July 22, 2928, he was the son of the late Edward and Jennie (Skawinski) Chaya.

He was a 1966 graduate of Immaculata High School, Somerville, NJ, and a graduate of Ryder University.

He was an avid R/C and slot car racer and enjoyed traveling with his family to various, Indy Car, NASCAR, and drag races.

In addition to his wife he is survived by three sons: Jason Chaya and his wife Jamie of Manville, NJ; Adam Chaya and his wife Sue of Pittstown, NJ; and Luke Chaya and his companion Jess of Pen Argyl; four grandchildren: Ashley, Logan, Austin, and Madelynn; two sisters, Mary Ed Cain of Leominster, MA, and Diane Chaya of Blakeslee, PA, and a brother, Michael Chaya of Somerville, NJ.

Funeral services will be private. The Ruggiero Funeral Home, LLC, Pen Argy,l is in charge of arrangements. Online condolences may be offered at www.ruggierofuneralhome.com.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be offered to the American Cancer Society, Lehigh Valley Unit, 3893 Adler Place, #170, Bethlehem, PA 18017.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#6 NJ Racer

NJ Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 07:16 PM

Very sad. I was fortunate to know Ed for many years in the racing community in NJ and PA.

My sincere condolences to Adam and family.
"Ya gotta be in it to win it"

Ray Carlisi

Electric Dreams Online Shop