#1 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 02:52 PM

A Cajun lady expert cook taught me this. Here is the Cajun method

1. Catch and fillet a channel cat (or any fish you like) and cut the fillets into small pieces

Ginnell Catfish.jpeg

2. Heat peanut oil to at least 350 deg.

3. In a small bowl, mix a big dollop of mustard into some milk. 

4. Add a heaping tablespoon of flour to your seasoning (I prefer "Louisiana" brand) and mix well

5. Assembly line, dip pieces into milk, roll in coating

6. Fry your fish. When they float they are done

IMG_8405.JPG

You will never need to add lemon juice to your fish again - all you need now is some wild brown rice  :sun_bespectacled:

• Cheater, Tim Neja, Peter Horvath and 3 others like this

Paul Wolcott

#2 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:01 PM

Some people think catfish is dirty. I think catfish is delicious. The recipe sounds like something my mother would and she was never anywhere near Louisiana!

• Rotorranch likes this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#3 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:12 PM

Looks great to me. We sold pre-packed farm-raised catfish in the early days of fresh fish in grocery stores,1975 or around then.That was some of the cleanest fish you could find. You never know about water quality of wild caught fish, but that is the same whether it's a cat or panfish. If your state tests water quality and it is good, the wild catfish is as good as it gets.    

I'd still prefer some rluegill or redear, but all fish is fine with me and even some of the shake and bake, fixed in the oven is not bad.

Matt Bishop

#4 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:01 PM

:D  I don't 100% agree with your "water quality" viewpoint. If a fish is confined to a particular waterway and forced to suffer consequences of poor water instead of migrating to a cleaner area, I'd go for the farm-raised in clean water choice every time. I'm with you on that.

But any fish that is able to avoid dirty, polluted, too hot or too cold water is going to head for better places.

The fish around here have the option of moving wherever they want, and they do.

As far as a farm-raised in tested water vs. "wild" fish in Uncle Bunky's one-acre pond with cattle and geese pooping on the shoreline, I concur 100%.   :good:  :crazy:

Paul Wolcott

#5 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:19 AM

Paul we have areas of the Ohio River where  it is/was reccomended to not eat wild caught fish.    The water quality in areas around Louisville and Cincinnati had higher levels or mercury/chemicals than the stretches of the river that were mostly rural.     People were routinely advised to not eat fish caught in those areas.    A lot of EPA restrictions have helped to clean up those areas some.    

The farm raised fish are from really clean ponds, there are no cattle or wild animals, the whole process is about like raising fish in a tank.

Off topic,,you guys ever see the videos of people netting Carp?    Carp jumping in boats etc?   They have a tournament at Kentucky lake to try and catch and remove them.   Winner routinely has several tons of fish!    They net the fish and still can't hardly make a dent in the population.    The fish are taken to a plant down south where they use them for some kind of pet food.     I think on our local  sportsman show, they said there was a plant opened in Ky where they fillet Carp and ship them to Japan.

It's amazing to see how many of them are in these watrways.

Matt Bishop

#6 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:00 AM

Crazy carp! I wouldn't feed that to my dog  :o

Later today I'll be trying my recipe on Ahi I caught at Walmart

Paul Wolcott

#7 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:40 PM

The local show by the Kentucky Fish and Game dept had one show where they filleted and fried carp.  They bragged about how good it was.    I still haven't heard anyone else brag abut it.     The meat is not very appealing!

Matt Bishop

#8 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:45 PM

Send me a PM for a good carp recipe  :D  Humor

Ahi is coming soon, stand by .......

Paul Wolcott

#9 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:03 PM

Living on the Missippi River near St. Louis, carp was eaten often. Every Friday night, a local church would have a fish fry, with your choice of carp or buffalo. Proper cleaning and preparation is important.

Rotor

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#10 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:53 PM

Jeff, was it pretty good.     

• Rotorranch likes this

Matt Bishop

#11 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:00 PM

You never know... this was at an Asian market in Gardena... ya know, English is a dangerous language because misplaced letters. (yes, this taken by my self not off the I-Net).

Crap for sale.JPG

• Pablo likes this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#12 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:21 PM

I spent about 8 years in one of our grocery stores in the west end of Louisville.   It was a minority area and we sold a lot of product that wasn't in our other stores. 

When I had the duty for the custom butcher shop  I would have to cut and set up that case every morning.     We sold lamb and hog nuts from this section.   I would do the signage  as the other guys could barely write.     They called the product "lamb fries" and "mountain oysters".   I would routinely label them as "lamb nuts" and "hog nuts".  Sometimes it could be a couple days before one of the boss's would see it and make me change it.    They always laughed about it.    We never had complaints from the customers.  

• Pablo and Tim Neja like this

Matt Bishop

#13 bradblohm

bradblohm

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:57 PM

There's a lot of stuff that we don't won't eat, but a whole bunch of stuff can be made to taste good. 

I have been in Italy several times for slot car races, and across the street in Soragna is the Oliver Twist, a British style pub, specializing in German and Belgian beer, serving American pub grub.  Busy EVERY night, and the owner liked to chat with us.  He always wanted to know the latest foods/beers/trends, and what we liked there.  We liked everything.  One night I was reading the Italian menu and saw a hamburger that mentioned what looked like caballero, so I assumed some kind of "Texican" cowboy burger; nope, it was horse, and it was awesome!  I asked when he brought it, and the guys watched as I chomped and loved it!  Would absolutely order again!

Had a long time friend of my aunt who was a butcher, and my parents knew him well.  After living in Texas I was back home and ran into him and asked if he could get me some good briskets.  He looked me dead in the in eye and asked why I would want that, that it was shoe leather!  I just smiled and said that I guess you have to cook it right.

• Pablo and MattD like this

Brad Blohm

#14 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:13 AM

The seafood industry has been label-tricking the consumers for many decades. I'm using my new recipe to make Sam's Club Yellowfin Tuna. Caught in Indonesia, immediately frozen and stays frozen until it reaches my kitchen. This fish has zero tolerance for anything other than perfect water conditions.

Assembly line ready - tuna cut into chunks, milk with a dollop of spicy mustard mixed in, and Louisiana seafood seasoning with a heaping tablespoon of flour mixed in

IMG_8451.JPG

Coated chunks ready, and peanut oil hotter than heck, which is at least 400 degrees. Cheater says if you don't use a cooking thermometer, you are just guessing  :D

IMG_8452.JPG

When they float, they are done

IMG_8454.JPG

You don't need any lemon  :D

• bradblohm and Tim Neja like this

Paul Wolcott

#15 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:56 AM

Jeff, was it pretty good.

Yes, at least I thought it was.

Rotor

• bradblohm likes this
Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#16 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:12 AM

Paul how does the tuna compare to a white fish or catfish when it is deep fried.     .   

It's hard to find a good fresh brisket in the grocery stores.   Mostly all they get is the full brisket in a cryovac bag.   They are not trimmed up and are nearly half fat.   If I remember right the last time I saw them at Kroger they were 8-10 pounds and probably half was fat.     I do buy  a corned beef brisket a couple times a year.    New Years and St Patricks day are time when the stores have big displays and cheap prices.    Seasoned as they are, they will last a month or two in the fridge.   If you look thru them, you will find a nice lean one and it is great to throw in the crock pot with a little water.   Good as hot roast beef or to make sandwiches with.    

• bradblohm and Jesse Gonzales like this

Matt Bishop

#17 bradblohm

bradblohm

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:00 AM

Hey Matt, exactly what my mom does now.

Hey Paul, I'm gonna try that!  When living in Houston I had to do some teaching in Baton Rouge and Lafayette.  May dey do dat gumbo good yeah!

Brad Blohm

#18 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:54 AM

Matt, tuna fries up fine. Only thing better than deep fried tuna is deep fried Swordfish right off the boat  :D

Paul Wolcott

#19 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:14 PM

We'll try that sometime Paul.  Never heard of anybody frying tuna before.      It is 60 today, but rainy.   all this fish talk is making want to get out to the farm pond an catch a few Bluegill!!!

• Jesse Gonzales likes this

Matt Bishop

#20 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:37 PM

Ya know what, I'll bet if you take a mess of bluegill, scale 'em, dehead and gut them, then use my method, it would be wonderful.

The skin on any fish is very flavorful, and done this way fried whole, even the fins and tail are delicious, like a great tasting potato chip.

I just tried my new method on Sam's Club Mahi Mahi fillets and it was awesome. Even better than the Ahi  :)

• MattD and Jesse Gonzales like this

Paul Wolcott

#21 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:45 AM

I do like scaling and leaving skin on panfish.   Milk and egg bath, seasoned flour and  let 'em swim in the hot oil.   

• Pablo likes this

Matt Bishop

#22 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:41 AM

Add a squirt of mustard to your milk and try it Matt

Paul Wolcott

#23 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:39 PM

I did another batch of Ahi tonight using this recipe. The smaller the chunks, the quicker they cook.

You want the chunks to be cooked evenly and float up as quickly as possible. Safety is paramount, be careful  :heat:

Paul Wolcott

Electric Dreams Online Shop