• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FSCS BoD

FSCS BoD

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:45 AM

Use this thread to post any comments or questions regarding the FSCS 2021 rules or schedule.

#2 FSCS BoD

FSCS BoD

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:57 AM

Update:  Tires will be handout in all three classes.

#3 Ralph Josey

Ralph Josey

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:52 PM

Can drivers true the hand out tires that will be used in all thee races?

• Marcus P1 Raceway likes this

#4 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:53 PM

Can drivers true the hand out tires that will be used in all thee races?

You have to use a fingernail file while spinning the tire on a bent axle.  :)

Rollin Isbell

#5 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:40 PM

So a 1" rear bumper in the rear of NASCAR? The body will be dragging the track. Last year it was 1/2" and the body was nearly 1/4-3/8" of a inch from the track then.

Now you're all adding another 1/2" to the bottom of that? That must have been overlooked.

• Hot Slots likes this

Brian Ambrose

#6 Marcus P1 Raceway

Marcus P1 Raceway

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

Yes, Ralph, you can true the tires!

Marcus Ramos

P1 Slot Car Raceway
120 West Crown Pointe Rd, Suite 114
Winter Garden, FL 34787

#7 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:04 PM

Another issue with the track doing their own handout tires is the price and availability. We all know Mikes tire selection isnt the best. Also lets say Eddie choices the thunder tires, they sell for 18 and the chub hubs sell for 20,,, then we goto Marcuss place and he uses JK 4711 they sell for 13. The entry fee can/will change every week?

Brian Ambrose

#8 Marcus P1 Raceway

Marcus P1 Raceway

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:05 PM

Brian, the owner of the track must use a good sense to choose the tire that will have the best performance for the race. In races at my track I will choose the tire that is best between JK, Alpha, and Mid-America. I will try to leave the track in good condition so that a single type of tire can be used in all three classes. I will assemble my cars for 0.740" Nascar, 0.720" LMP, and 0.700" GTP.

Marcus Ramos

P1 Slot Car Raceway
Winter Garden, FL 34787

#9 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Posting Leader

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:00 PM

There are two replacement armatures for the JK Hawk 6 motor listed in the JK online catalog, both with the part number 303062.  One has a tie on the comm (M6A) and the other (M6A1) doesn't, are both legal replacements?

Can we use the JK Hawk 6 black plastic end bell (JK30304 / M6E0) or is the tan one the only legal one?

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors Member, 2007-2010 (non-voting advisor)

Team Slick 7 Member 1998-2001

Retro Racer & Flat Track Fanatic

#10 Hot Slots

Hot Slots

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:57 PM

These rules changes are pretty WOKE, everyone run the same gear ratio, everyone run the same tire. With limited pit space if your going to be competitive you'll need to bring your tire truer.

Kenneth Eden

#11 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Posting Leader

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:00 PM

Kenneth:

I can't speak officially for the FSCS BoD but as a former BoD member I believe that the intent of a specified gear ratio and handout tires is to reduce the amount of "thrashing" required to find the right combinations before the race.  This tends to level the playing field and helps the program to move along since so much testing (gear ratios and tire choices) is no longer required by the racers.  It is also intended to help some of the less experienced racers that may not have the best tuning skills be a bit more competitive, and thereby (hopefully) increase attendance.

As for your comment about bringing your tire truer, well I never come to a race without one.  But I can see if you are a new racer and don't have a tire truer it could be a disadvantage.  But generally speaking if you are a newbie a set of tires trued down to exactly the right size isn't usually your biggest issue.  On top of that I'm pretty sure at any race there will always be someone willing to true a set of tires for you, so again I don't see this as a big deal.

Now if someone on the FSCS BoD could just answer my question in post #9...

Jay Guard

#12 Marcus P1 Raceway

Marcus P1 Raceway

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:25 PM

Jay I believe that Ed is the most recommended person to answer your question, I never built a motor!😳
Marcus Ramos

P1 Slot Car Raceway
Winter Garden, FL 34787

#13 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

There are two replacement armatures for the JK Hawk 6 motor listed in the JK online catalog, both with the part number 303062.  One has a tie on the comm (M6A) and the other (M6A1) doesn't, are both legal replacements?

Can we use the JK Hawk 6 black plastic end bell (JK30304 / M6E0) or is the tan one the only legal one?

Jay I believe that Ed is the most recommended person to answer your question, I never built a motor!

@TwistedMetal

I've hesitated to reply simply because I'm not sure that I'll even be able to race in 2021.  However, I was asked for my opinion.

What we have been using is JK30306 (M6) Hawk 6.  That motor ships with a white endbell and the JK303062 (M6A1) unwrapped comm.  

IF ... the BOD wants to continue to use this motor, then the rules need to specify a white enbell and an unwrapped comm. And the only approved replacement armature should be the unwrapped version of JK303062 (M6A1.)  

The challenge is that JK makes two motors that are very similar in appearance

• JK's Hawk 6 (M6) - JK30306 - motor turns 48,000 RPMs.  This motor ships with a white endbell and an unwrapped comm. It retails for $16.95.  This is the motor that we originally allowed.
  • JK's Hawk (M3) - JK3031 - motor turns 58,000 RPMs.  This motor used to ship with a black endbell and a wrapped comm but may now ship with a white endbell.  It retails for $14.95.  This motor was never legal.

That's why, for many years, we required racers to use a white endbell and unwrapped comm in the Hawk 6 motor.  If I recall, there were/are MAYBE some very slight differences in the way the stacks look as well.  But looking at the two motors/armatures on JK's website today; I couldn't tell a difference.  (Johnny used to cause some headaches by dying his enbells red so he could tell if it was a motor he built.  I'd bet some are still in use.)

But now ..... Looking at JK's website ... it looks like they ship both the Hawk (M3) motor and the Hawk 6 (M6) motor with white endbells and offer wrapped comms for both armatures.   If both endbells are white and both comms are wrapped, it will be very difficult to tell the 48K motor from the 58K motor at the tech table. 

Just a thought.

Rollin Isbell

#14 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Posting Leader

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:22 PM

This is exactly why I think allowing the Hawk 6 into the mix is a disaster waiting to happen.

IMHO allowing only the sealed JK Hawk Retro and JK Hawk 7 is still the way to go. 

Jay Guard

#15 Terry Tawney

Terry Tawney

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:09 AM

No result? No one raced?

#16 Marcus P1 Raceway

Marcus P1 Raceway

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:44 AM

No result no one raced

Hi Terry, I just sent the photos to Dale and he will try to post this afternoon.
Marcus Ramos

P1 Slot Car Raceway
Winter Garden, FL 34787

Electric Dreams Online Shop