Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:34 AM

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 11.54.47 AM.png

• Pappy, MSwiss, David Reed and 3 others like this

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#2 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:15 AM

Wow! Everything is going up in price. I know that in the last few years it has been getting harder and harder to get wood.  :aggressive:

• Pappy, MSwiss, Phil Smith and 1 other like this

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 12:38 PM

My house is located on a 5 acre lot, mostly wooded. If prices remain high for long, it may be time to cull out a few pines. I was going to get a few additional woodworking tools, but use them on what?  :laugh2: I have some lumber stored, so I'll probably still get what I'm looking for.

• Jesse Gonzales likes this
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#4 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 01:03 PM

Time to transition away from lumber. Let the trees be used for seasonal decorations. Use bamboo and hemp for building material. 

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#5 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 02:27 PM

"Time to transition away from lumber."

Good luck with that one, not as big a business monetarily as oil/gas but even at 1/4 the size it's still pretty big and employs ten times as many people.

https://www.statista.com/topics/1316/forest-products-industry/#dossierSummary

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#6 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:09 PM

Easy money is better than hard earned money...You are correct. But hemp can make a comeback. Then the infrastructure will be built to make hemp building products grab market share. In 1965 no car had an airbag. In 1965 raceway had a waiting list for track time. We can change. But we need people willing to take risks. Some raceways now take hemp for entry fee.  

• NSwanberg likes this

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#7 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 04:25 PM

Hemp smokes better than pine. :good:

• Rotorranch likes this

#8 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 08:25 PM

Wow! Everything is going up in price. I know that in the last few years it has been getting harder and harder to get wood.  :aggressive:

Uhh... Dave....

They have medicine for that.

• Rotorranch and Jesse Gonzales like this

#9 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:50 PM

Easy money is better than hard earned money...You are correct. But hemp can make a comeback. Then the infrastructure will be built to make hemp building products grab market share. In 1965 no car had an airbag. In 1965 raceway had a waiting list for track time. We can change. But we need people willing to take risks. Some raceways now take hemp for entry fee.  

and around the end of the 19th century the #1 sellable product of oil refining was kerosene. Gasoline was a waste product...

• PCH Parts Express likes this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#10 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:08 AM

Time to transition away from lumber. Let the trees be used for seasonal decorations. Use bamboo and hemp for building material. 

This sounds great in theory,but has anyone ever tried to figure out how many acres we'd need to grow to keep pace with lumber? I mean we already have issues that stem from big ag as it is and our food supply..........It's a great idea and it surely has it's place,but there's no magic bullet and everything has it's drawbacks.

Before the current situation there was a company taking the wheat straw from my cousins farm and making cored doors from it. They had a better fire rating than wood,were stronger etc. But between politics and the pandemic they got the rug pulled out from under them just as it was about to become profitable. But even that wasnt perfect because harvesting the straw that most see as a byproduct the farm had a significant increase in input costs. They had to increase their fertilizer use quite a bit to compensate for what they were taking from the fields and that's what they were trying to figure out with the project. 

Robert Fothergill

#11 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:48 AM

Farmers that grow trees or corn for ethanol could also grow hemp. Hemp requires no pesticide, and needs less water. When we transitioned from lamp oil and candles...to electric lights...it was work. In 1994 most racers were using resistor controllers.  

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#12 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:04 PM

Scott, I wasnt saying it cant or wont work,I just wondered if anyone has looked at the whole picture.

People tend to be a bit short sighted these days like the company making the doors. They assumed the straw was a byproduct that farmers would practically give away. Now most wheat straw gets chopped and left in the fields because it allows farmers to use less fertilizer and retains moisture with todays no-till farming.

I was a big advocate for hemp and still think it is a viable bio fuel option for jet A. If they create a viable Jet A replacement from hemp seed oil then there'd be a lot of fiber available for other uses. The problem is it's similar to the issue with wheat straw whereas a lot of the time it's better for the farmers to leave the plant residue in the fields. The few people I know that have tried it have found it's not worth harvesting the fiber at this point but they're hopeful that's going to change soon.

All in all I am glad to see things progressing along in the right direction. But we need to look at the whole picture before we leap and cause bigger problems along the way. It's like my neighbor that sold his Escalade and bought a Tesla. He now preaches  how green he is even though most of our electric (85%coal,10%nuke3% gas turbine and the rest is solar/wind) comes from coal. He thinks he's greener and keeps telling me how I should get rid of my dirty VW diesel that still gets 50+mpg around town for a new Tesla. I know we'll get there,but the big rush to electrify in the near future is causing new environmental issues that will only get worse

• Rotorranch likes this
Robert Fothergill

#13 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:46 PM

In normal times wood is pretty affordable. And eventually it will  be again. Does it really need to be replaced?

• Pappy likes this
Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop