• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BigFan

BigFan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:11 PM

Intermediate size Orange footprint 26 x 14 ft. Located in Jesup Ga. up and running in excellent condition, comes with power supply and SRT race management computer w/ two monitors. Also includes enough inventory to open store. $4500. Track w/power and SRT computer can be purchased for $3500.514CF770-2C04-498C-89BC-4E12B9EC7F81.jpeg A719EBE1-0411-409A-9B74-62F5B5A4F584.jpeg 9ACFB10D-0887-4330-ADD6-A82176B399AC.jpeg 955CD8D3-CAB3-4DE4-ADE8-936679E27D9D.jpeg 3F67EB92-2DCC-448D-AA3D-A1B290C3201E.jpeg
  • Tim Neja, Chris Ippolito, NSwanberg and 4 others like this
Keith Jeffers

#2 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 11:09 PM

Looks good. Who built it?

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#3 BigFan

BigFan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 03:50 AM

We are trying to identify builder. There are no identification on any sections underneath. The previous owner, who never set it up, had it on Marketplace as a “Girling”. I asked him if he meant Gerding but he did not respond. I later saw on OWH tracks for sale the post for this same track by tommyboy, who gave his phone number, since disconnected. I emailed Gerding Fast Tracks but did not get an answer. If I find out who built it I will add it to post.
Keith Jeffers

#4 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 09:58 AM

The track was built by Mike Leach in Newark, Ohio. It was built as a "proof of concept" design, meaning it was designed to test the limits of MDF in terms of turn radius and banking, i.e., how tight and how steep can you bend MDF before it breaks. The "bridge" section for the donut to the lead-on was the most problematic.

The track was also completely CAD-CAM in design and execution. Mike is a mechanical engineer by trade, and the whole track (roadbed, sidewalls and legs) was all done on a CNC router. Here's a few pics of its construction:

Track1.jpg

FTW-1.jpg

FTW-3.jpg

FT-Y-1.jpg

And here's the finished track in Mike's shop:

FasTrack-1.jpg

And Mike referred to the track as a "Windsor", not a "Monarch".

• Steve Deiters, NSwanberg, PCH Parts Express and 6 others like this

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#5 BigFan

BigFan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Mike! It is great to know the origins of this track. And to have photos of it's construction is an added bonus. It is lightweight but strong and has held up very well. I called it an orange because of its layout is similiar to an American Orange. The size makes it suitable for smaller floor plans also. Our venture into running a commercial slot car track encountered too many obstacles such as covid, location, help, sports,etc.  As of right now this Mike Leach Windsor is still together and operational in a warm dry building and can be tried out by anyone interested.  Oh by the way do you happen to know build date or any history.

Keith Jeffers

#6 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 03:22 PM

It was built in 2008. Mike was thinking of building home tracks as a business, and this track was built to see how much banking he could get away with on tight radius turns. He kept it about 6 months and nothing blew out on it, so he sold it. AFAIK, this was the last track he built.

• PCH Parts Express and BigFan like this

#7 Paul Menkens

Paul Menkens

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:40 AM

How practical would it be to extend that and add a finger on the back side to make a miniature backwards king?

#8 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:54 AM

I think with the short run from the bank to the deadman you would be better off bying a king or having one built. 

• Tim Neja and Paul Menkens like this
Eddie Fleming

#9 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:09 AM

How practical would it be to extend that and add a finger on the back side to make a miniature backwards king?

Not very practical. Extending the straights would change the angle going in to the bank and it would make the width unworkable. You would end up just keeping the donut end and most of the main straight and making new from those points. Easier to just design and build a miniature reverse king than modifying this track. I think this track is nice and useful as it stands.

• Tim Neja, old & gray, Eddie Fleming and 2 others like this

#10 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:21 AM

What is the lane spacing on this track?

Eddie Fleming

#11 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:38 AM

IIRC, the spacing is 4", 4-1/4" max.

#12 Paul Menkens

Paul Menkens

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 10:24 AM

Not very practical. Extending the straights would change the angle going in to the bank and it would make the width unworkable. You would end up just keeping the donut end and most of the main straight and making new from those points. Easier to just design and build a miniature reverse king than modifying this track. I think this track is nice and useful as it stands.

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know, besides, as it is it would fit (just barely) in my cellar

#13 Mr Nobody

Mr Nobody

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 08:38 PM

Do you have a list of what the inventory consists of? Would you sell it separately from he track?
Trent Kifer

#14 BigFan

BigFan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 01:33 PM

BigFan checking in. Thanks to everyone who has viewed this post and responded with comments and information.  As of today the track is still up and running and used from time to time. We have had several requests to price and sell the inventory separate from the track, but owner wants to sell it as a package deal. There was quite a bit of interesting extras that came with the track when purchased two years ago from a man in Fla. Multiple used cars, flexi 2's , parma flexi cars, homemade chassis,  clear nascar 4" wb bodies, several new painted bodies, 10 used controllers, both economy and adjustable, in  various conditions, tire truer, chassis jig,motor cooling fan,  multiple D can motors new and used, misc gears 3/32 and 1/8, and some vintage parts. I know i have probably left  something out, We then ordered $1600 of new cars, controllers, tires bodies motors(hawk 7) tools,etc. and have pretty much all of that left. Really thought we were going to be able to place a track in an area void of this hobby, but the expected obstacles and not so expected problems has put us in a holding pattern with a uncertain future,  Our plan is to offer this layout for sale in case someone out there is planning a raceway business venture. I will add this, since owner decided to sell, i believe he may be having second thoughts.  Sorry for  the long story, hope it wasn't too boring.   

Keith Jeffers

#15 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:26 PM

For those thinking about buying this track…..Mike Leach was a perfectionist to a fault. I’m sure that the track is near perfect in design and construction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg
460 Wilson Rd
Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 274-5150
Home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#16 edavis

edavis

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts