• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 brnursebmt

brnursebmt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:45 AM

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this concerning the upcoming Retro Rumble. The state of Florida has broken records three days in a row for new cases and hospitalizations. All elective surgeries have been canceled to reallocate nursing staff to COVID positive units. 

Just looking for thoughts about the race, not opinions of the vaccine or the virus.

Bobby Robinson  RN, BMTCN

"Nobody rides for free." - Jackson Browne, 1980

"Positivity and optimism can overcome a lot of things." - Tom Brady,  2019

"Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer Simpson

#2 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:50 AM

Not to give you a smart a__ answer but you are the RN. Tell us what you think. 

Eddie Fleming

#3 Rick Moore

Rick Moore

CMF3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:51 AM

As a slot car racer and healthcare worker (vaccinated, of course) my opinions on the matter are diametrically opposed.

The former would like to see the SRR held without restrictions or postponement, as I look forward to hanging out with all the other slot car geeks “like we used to,” and the SRR is good fun and great racing.

The latter however is getting run-down with the current onslaught of COVID patients at the hospital, I can’t believe I am using the word “again,” and understanding the seriousness I lean toward any possible caution regarding the matter, as I certainly prefer that those fellow slot car geeks, even the annoying ones (I probably fall in that category), and particularly those who for whatever reasons (I don’t care) have chosen to not get vaccinated, do not wind up alone in some isolation room except for a bunch of people coming in and out trying to care for them dressed in PPE like something from a sci-fi movie (and in too many cases the movie does not have a happy ending).

Rick / CMF3

• Cheater, brnursebmt, S.O. Watt and 6 others like this

#4 brnursebmt

brnursebmt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:05 AM

Eddie, 

I agree 110% with Rick's statement. I also want to go badly as I missed last years race because of COVID.

But the facts are the facts. I'm gonna play this by ear day to day.

• MattD and Jesse Gonzales like this

#5 John Luongo

John Luongo

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:06 AM

Rick nailed it. Use precautions and PPE. No reason to postpone or cancel an event. Folks must take these issues seriously and provide for their and friends protection by wearing masks and using sanitizer, even though sanitizer is not a substitute for thorough hand washing.

The new "normal" will include masks, sanitizer and vaccinations. The "old days" are gone. Be well.

• brnursebmt likes this

#6 Rick Moore

Rick Moore

CMF3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:32 AM

Personally, regarding my own attendance, like Bobby said, I’m going to have to consider this as circumstances unfold. Since I have direct contact with COVID patients, and presently the number and frequency is increasing rapidly, and the CDC now has sufficient data to confirm even those vaccinated persons have the capability to transmit the virus to others, and considering my level of possible exposure, it would be utterly selfish and irresponsible for me to ignore the risk I pose to others. Unless there is a dramatic change for the better in the next two weeks, an unlikely scenario, I must concede the possibility of my attendance is rapidly diminishing.

Rick / CMF3

• Wizard Of Iz, Bernie, old & gray and 3 others like this

#7 brnursebmt

brnursebmt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:49 AM

Same here, Rick. The next two weeks should tell the tale for me as well. It has not gotten as bad in Alabama as it is in Florida yet but we are told to prepare for quite an increase in cases in the next two weeks. It has already begun, actually.

I wish everybody would consult the CDC website for information instead of Facebook and some other internet sources.

• Wizard Of Iz, Bernie, old & gray and 2 others like this

#8 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:38 AM

I don't have a dog in this hunt - but the CDC has not been accurate nor forthcoming with accurate information! I have been vaccinated, because my wife requested it - but I have very close friends in the health care industry. They were vaccinated as soon as it was available and still ended up in their own hospital with COVID!! So this "vaccination" is certainly not proof against this terrible virus! I also have a very close friend who lost his elderly father to the vaccination!!! He died of COVID shortly after getting his second shot!!! And he had not been exposed as he had been locked down for over a year! 

I'd wish people stop trying to "shame" others into getting it as well. It's not a cure, it needs to be treated as a choice like any other. Of course, take all personal precautions possible if gathering - but we can't stop living. God bless all in the medical profession, this has been very trying on them as well as all of us.   

And thank you for your service and your insights, Bobby and Rick. Let's go racing - safely!! 

• Jesse Gonzales likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#9 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:04 PM

At the risk of turning this into a covid discussion, you gentlemen are the only folks I have any type of contact with in the medical industry. My question is simple. We keep hearing about the new case numbers and the deaths. What percentage of patients survive?

Having recently lost my father, any death is unpleasant. Being sick isn't on my top ten list of things to do either.

At the same time I don't wish to exist in a bubble or in a false fear of living. Life is simply to short to be miserable.

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!          Support Your local raceways!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         http://www.cavemanbodeez.com

#10 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:03 PM

Breakthrough infections on vaccinated people almost never end up in the hospital.

Breakthroughs in the hospital most certainly would be dead without the vaccine.

That being said, it's not the vaccinated peoples job to protect the "smart" ones from unintended spread.

Go race slot cars or don't and let those lie in the bed they make.

• Half Fast and Samiam like this
David Parrotta

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,134 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:11 PM

One of the mods hid this thread for fear it would spiral out of control and he's probably more right than wrong.

But I'm gonna unhide it and see if Bobby's question can be addressed in a civil manner. If not, this thread will indeed disappear.

A couple of posts prior to this one did not address Bobby's question, but brought new points into the discussion. which is not what is wanted.

To repeat, Bobby asked, "Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this concerning the upcoming Retro Rumble... Just looking for thoughts about the race, not opinions of the vaccine or the virus."

Nor opinions or questions about the validity of information channels, percentage of patient mortality, etc., etc., etc.

Like Bobby and Rick, I am playing this one day by day, and considering every source of information I feel to be reliable.

I am as concerned as Bobby and Rick are about the resurgence of COVID cases and deaths, largely for very personal reasons. I think I'm at eight or nine people I personally knew who have died from COVID, including four close friends in the slot racing community, several of whom were exceedingly healthy.

I am also the leader for an event at the train museum scheduled to happen in late November-early December, to involve several hundred people over four weekends. My angst as to whether to proceed with my event (the decision has to be made soon) was not helped when the New York Auto Show was cancelled yesterday less that two weeks before it was to begin.

Again, if posters will not stray from Bobby's question, this thread will be allowed to continue.

• Rick Moore and David Reed like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#12 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:45 PM

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this concerning the upcoming Retro Rumble. The state of Florida has broken records three days in a row for new cases and hospitalizations. All elective surgeries have been canceled to reallocate nursing staff to COVID positive units. 

Just looking for thoughts about the race, not opinions of the vaccine or the virus.

Its impossible to answer your query without considering vaccination and hospital rates. Florida is a mess at the moment. If you get sick in the near future there will not be a room for you to call a death/ recovery bed.

If I were without vaccine I would not attend any event. I am vaccinated so I would attend but would do so wearing a N95 mask.

At this point you can't save everyone.

• Samiam likes this
David Parrotta

#13 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:45 PM

I think you have to consider the date. I haven't seen it in these posts. With the quick spread of Delta, we may be through the worst of it in six-eight weeks and it might be a lot safer for us older people. It might take some watching the next month or two.   

Bear in mind that a lot of people are finally getting scared and getting vaccinated now. Those people won't have full immunity for a month or so. That immunity will certainly help to nearly eliminate hospitalization and death, but you can still be infected and take it home. 

Looks like a lot of wait and see for the next month or two.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#14 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:22 PM

After I got the vaccine, I felt safe enough to go racing, but still wore a mask.

Now with the delta variant, I think I'm gonna refrain from racing. I will still go and play at the track, but not be at the panel next to someone racing. Even vaccinated, the delta could infect someone with enough of a viral load to infect others.

I have been excited to get back to the track and will still go, but not to race. I've got some project cars to test, so I will do that, and visit with my race buddies.

And thanks to the guys on the frontlines battling the pandemic, you have the toughest task.

• DOCinCanton, MattD, Samiam and 1 other like this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#15 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:12 PM

Bobby, I was looking forward to going back to Florida for this race and visit family. However, with the out of control COVID virus spreading like wildfire in Florida, it looks like I am going to pass on this event. So sad that we can't get the pandemic under control.

• Wizard Of Iz, David Reed and Clyde Romero like this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#16 Thom

Thom

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:59 AM

A question for Bobby and Rick assuming you guys wear the N95 masks at work.
A friend of mine who does live customer service was told by his boss to mask up with cloth or paper only ( which studies show let through as much as 90-95% of the virus) and leave the N95 supply for health care workers.
My question, on a scale of 1-being unsafe to 10-being totally safe. How sure could I be, attending an event like this, that I would not get it or bring it home if I wore the N95 mask?
Thanks Thom

PS. I have been vaccinated.
Thom Asay

#17 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:53 AM

I don't see any harm in discussing anything about covid as a long as it doesn't get political. I mean, it's pretty weird for something that's drastically changed everyone's lives to be taboo to talk about.

I own a pawn shop and in the last 5 months and my  2 employees of 7 and 8 years got better jobs and quit. So I have to run my store for the first time in years. I was scheduled to get vaccinated when my employees left so i ended up not going. My question is, did any of you get sick from the vaccination? I would like to get it but I can't get sick and miss work.

Phil Smith ® ©

#18 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:06 AM

I got pfizer, my arm was sore for a few days n some body aches on first shot, second shot arm was sore but nothing else.
I talked to a bunch of people who got the vaccine n pfizer seems to have the lease side effects n also advertised as the most effective.
People that got moderna or jnj seem to have more side effects, but ymmv
  • Dallas Racer and Jesse Gonzales like this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#19 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:29 AM

I did the "one and done" J and J.  I felt a little "off" for a day-- but then recovered fine.  If I had to I could have worked through the bad feeling day.  FWIW
God Bless ALL our health  care workers.  Besides those that have caught the disease--they have been the most affected.  

• Dallas Racer likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#20 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,602 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:09 AM

My wife and I both got the Moderna.  Of course all of them give you a fair amount of soreness at the injection site, mostly because of the volume of liquid going on.  First round we both had some fatigue for about 36 hours, that was about it. The second one my wife had chills for about 36 hours, I ran a fever for about 18 hours, then just mild fatigue for another day. I worked after both injections, the aftereffects weren't enough that I had to stop what I normally did.

"Whatever..."

#21 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,602 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:17 AM

FWIW, in the area I live (just northeast of the Allentown/Bethlehem area) life has pretty much gone back to pre-covid normal.  We went to a local farm fair 2 weekends ago, things looked pretty normal as far as attendance.  The trend in PA is the per day number of cases have gone up a bit, but the number of deaths has held steady.  I think this is proof of some "herd immunity", through previous exposure and vaccinations.  The only places requiring masks anymore are medical facilities, which I can understand since there is more likely people who are immuno-compromised there.  Even my allergy and asthma doctor's facility has lifted the mask mandate.

"Whatever..."

#22 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:02 PM

Thanks guys!

Of course all of them give you a fair amount of soreness at the injection site, mostly because of the volume of liquid going on.

It seemed odd that a sore arm was a side effect. Now it makes sense.

Phil Smith ® ©

#23 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:03 PM

I got pfizer, my arm was sore for a few days n some body aches on first shot, second shot arm was sore but nothing else.
I talked to a bunch of people who got the vaccine n pfizer seems to have the lease side effects n also advertised as the most effective.
People that got moderna or jnj seem to have more side effects, but ymmv

I guess I'll go ahead and get Pfizer. Sounds like it might be the best option.

• Jesse Gonzales likes this

Phil Smith ® ©

#24 old & gray

old & gray

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:04 PM

I got the Moderna vaccine back in February & March. The injection was so painless I joked with the nurse if she had put a needle in. I didn’t notice an unusual soreness from the shot but I shoot target archery with a non-compound bow so your mileage may vary. After the first shot I was a bit tired for a day; after the second shot my muscles ached from my finger tips to my toes. Worse case of muscle aches I remember; however it didn’t stop me from having a three hour meeting with my realtor to review and sign a contract for selling a house. If I had not scheduled these for a weekend I doubt I would have missed work. (I drove to and from the appointment for the shots.)

Population density where I am has resulted in people continuing to use masks and avoiding “close” contact in stores. I continue to wear a mask in stores and will continue to evaluate my participation as I watch the state numbers on infection. 

Bob Schlain

#25 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:36 PM

I agree with Phil that there is no reason we can't discuss what our experiences are and share.   We all might learn something.

I got 2 shots of Moderna and about all I had was a sore shoulder/arm for a day or so.     About like when you were a kid and some guy hit your arm pretty hard.  It was all good in a day and half or so.

My wife got 2 shots of Pfizer.   I think she had the arm soreness, but the fatigue factor is hard to say.   She has some underlying health issues that make her fatigued most of the time, so that side effect is hard to judge.

Most friends and family had some arm soreness and some had the fatigue.   My daughter (a doctor) says that the stronger the side effects the more your body is fighting the initial shot of the vaccine and the more it will create immunity.   Younger people seem to have a stronger immune system, so their bodies fight it harder.   It's just doctor talk to me.   

The J&J seems to not be as strong, but still a good safeguard against serious disease.    

Hopefully our honest talk will help clear up some falsehoods.   It is certain the vaccines can effect everyone a little different.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

Electric Dreams Online Shop