• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 04:40 PM

Sunday's D3 Hardbody races at Buena Park Raceway was another very fast race day.

This was Peter LeBarba and Glenn Cherep's first D3 Hardbody race at BPR. D3 Hardbody Racing welcomes Peter and Glenn.

The GTP race was very fast and closely contested. A field of 8 entries with 4 racers recording a sub 5 second lap on the black lane. The sub 5 second lap is becoming quite common. When D3 Hardbody Racing began in 2007, a sub "6" second lap was unheard of. 
Hector "Gonzo" Gonzalez was first with Keith Tanaka 2nd and Jim Lane 3rd. The "Racer Handicap" podium had Dave Decesare 1st, Gonzo 2nd and Keith 3rd. 

The second race of the day was a "Mixed" race for any D3 Hardbody racing class except GTPs. 
A field of 12 with a variety of racing classes, should provide a lot of fun!
Gonzo won this race with his Can Am Lola T70, followed by Doug Jacks with his Porsche 934 and third was Keith with his Trans Am Firebird.
The "Racer Handicap" podium had Doug 1st, Gonzo 2nd and Keith 3rd.

Thanks to Jim Watterson (and Eddie) for their support of D3 Hardbody Racing at Buena Park Raceway.
Thanks to our race director, Victor Dubrowsky

Here's the race/photo report: https://socald3.smug...races-10-17-21/

The next D3 Hardbody races on Sunday, Oct. 31, 2021 (Halloween). This race day will include (2nd race) a "demo" race between 1/32 ready to run cars (Revo Slot, NSR, Slot-it, etc.). Stock motors, gears, tires (can use foam tires).
BPR opens at 10 am, "Mixed" race at noon sharp, followed by a quick lunch break, then the demo 1/32 race.

Keith :)

• vfr750, cdtanner and Bernie like this

Team Rolling Hills circa '66-'68

#2 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:41 PM

I recommend wonder rubber for the 32  cars, with the spray glue, there will be too much grip... should be cool!

Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#3 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:49 PM

Mike, I tried foam tires on a Revo Slot Ferrari 333 and the car handled ok on the BPR flat track after our races this past Sunday. I didn't try running the car with the stock tires, but they might work as well.

Keith

#4 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:57 PM

The regular rubber tire will run well for a few laps, but it will start picking up all the foam bits left on the track making the grip inconsistent. Spray glue = foam tires.

Did a lot of testing when I ran my 32 car series, which one of the events was on the flat at BPR

Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#5 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:38 PM

We're having a Revo Slot one-hour Halloween "Enduro" team race at Electric Dreams the night before the BPR race. So I'll bring my Revo race cars, and maybe set up an NSR car with foam tires. 

Eddie

• Tim Wood likes this
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#6 Marco Carvalho

Marco Carvalho

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 03:07 AM

My best bet would be a Sidewinder NSR Porsche 917/10 using sponge tires (NSR sells it), with a 14/38 gear ratio on a 25K NSR short can motor. 

• Tim Neja and Tim Wood like this

Marco Carvalho

#7 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:22 PM

My best bet would be a Sidewinder NSR Porsche 917/10 using sponge tires (NSR sells it), with a 14/38 gear ratio on a 25K NSR short can motor. 

Do NSR cars come stock with 25k motors? If so, that puts any Slot.it, Racer Sideways, Revo Slot, etc. with their 21k motors at a distinct disadvantage. I think the weight of the Revo Slot cars will help. 

Anyway, I think this is to be a relatively STOCK RTR race (except for tire changes). I don't think gear changes are allowed. Keith?

Eddie

#8 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:05 AM

Yes, Eddie's it's a "stock" race for these over the counter 1/32 hardbody cars. The stock motor is 21k not 25k. It's a demo race this Sunday, so let's keep the cars to the same 21k motors for this race. Maybe in the future we can go with the 25k motors if there's enough interest. Also, stock gear ratio. Only the rear tires can be changed (to foam). 

Keith

• eshorer likes this

#9 Marco Carvalho

Marco Carvalho

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 03:11 AM

Do NSR cars come stock with 25k motors? If so, that puts any Slot.it, Racer Sideways, Revo Slot, etc. with their 21k motors at a distinct disadvantage. I think the weight of the Revo Slot cars will help. 

Anyway, I think this is to be a relatively STOCK RTR race (except for tire changes). I don't think gear changes are allowed. Keith?

Eddie

Yes, some NSR come in sidewinder configuration and with a 25K motor installed. 

Marco Carvalho

#10 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:24 AM

For this demo race we'll run stock (motor, gears, except rear tires can be changed to foam). Best to limit this initial race to 21k motors. If we have more races in the future, we can create rules which level the playing field somewhat.

• eshorer likes this

#11 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 10:44 AM

I got some foam Slot.it tires that I stretched over Revo Slot wheels, but one developed a hairline split in the process. I hope it won't show up on the track. I'll try the other pair (they came in a pack of four) on a Racer Sideways car. 

Eddie

Electric Dreams Online Shop