• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy's HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 12:33 PM

Yesterday was the official opening of our raceway. Of the 96 people that came to the facility, we were able to put a controller in the hands of 87 of them. That controller was Difalco's recently released Neo rental controller part # DIF205.

I had been testing this controller for the two weeks leading up to the event. Using it specifically with our rental cars to know exactly what the participant would experience. Using it with class race cars to see how a new racer would fair with one. Lastly letting my most trusted experienced racers try them to see if our results and opinions differed. All I can can say is dollar for dollar there is not a better controller. They are so much more than a rental controller. They are consistent, the sensitivity is so spot on that it is almost scary. With strong magnet motors like the CR102 and RTR Raptor Pro, they can have excessive brakes depending on the car, but it is not a negative that we have found. Every single person has been less than 2 tenths difference from their normal adjustable controller regardless of brand and the majority within just a tenth. They were used literally for seven hours straight yesterday in all lanes at the same time and not one got hot or missed a beat. I would use this controller as a backup at any race if I was forced to; it is that good. Our best lap time in GTP is a 4.2. We are going 4.3 with one and this controller just as an example.

But wait, there's more. Difalco offers the same controller with both adjustable sensitivity and brake. It retails for $159 and is a phenomenal bargain! It is the best option hands down for a new racer getting started that gives them all the features of their experienced competitors. It takes the network guesswork out of the equation and allows you to just get laps in with just making minor personal adjustments. We have seen no lap time differences using one compared to Difalco 281, 271 and Third Eye.

Yes, there are advantages to higher end controllers; I am not saying that there are not. What I am saying is that whether you are a raceway, new racer, or a racer that wants a good buy on a budget, these are a really, really good choice. Lap time wise, you are not at a disadvantage, quality wise you are getting a phenomenal product.

272646961_146939091090897_1835719663222014923_n.jpg

272854356_146937711091035_3831421229442949698_n.jpg

• Cheater, Jencar17, MSwiss and 7 others like this

Matt Sheldon

#2 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 02:43 PM

That's good to know.  We've got a few "rookie" racers coming to Foster's occasionally and something affordable would certainly help get them in the game!! 

• Matt Sheldon likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#3 Bill Seitz

Bill Seitz

Still Half-Fast After All These Years

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:05 PM

This controller has power limitations. While that may not be an issue initially or ever, a new slot car enthusiast should be aware that if they move up to a higher=powered/faster class such as Phoenix or Mockingbird motors, they'll likely need another controller.

#4 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 10:12 PM

Great review.  

And I'm not surprised. We used the previous version of Difalco's rental controllers for three or four years and had very, very few problems. And this controller looks like it's a much more evolved controller than that was.

Congratulations, Jim, on another great product!

• Jim Difalco and Matt Sheldon like this

Rollin Isbell

#5 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy's HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 02:45 AM

This controller has power limitations. While that may not be an issue initially or ever, a new slot car enthusiast should be aware that if they move up to a higher-powered/faster class such as Phoenix or Mockingbird motors, they'll likely need another controller.

Potentially that might be true with Gp. 7 and 27, however I can tell you that they works great with the Phoenix wing cars, Raptor Pro motors, and Pro DTM cars using the Supra motor and CR106 Stage 6 motor. Did not try a Mockingbird.

• Racer36 likes this

Matt Sheldon

#6 Jim Difalco

Jim Difalco

Race Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:36 AM

All lower-priced controllers have some limitations, whether it is the ohms rating that limit them to the type of motor it would run or heat generation. The DD206 (sensitivity only $129) and the DD207 (sens and brake for $159) controllers were built to fill a need for a low-priced controller for raceway owners, not for every racer and every type car. The DD205 rental controller is better protected and far superior mechanically to free raceway owners from the constant repairs of dying Parma and other brand rental controllers.

While some raceway owners may be tempted to sell the DD205 rental unit as a low-priced entry level controller I need to reiterate that they are fused differently than the DD206 or DD207 models!!! The DD205 has the fuse on the white wire which will add a tiny amount of resistance from the electronic fuse to the full power circuit. This was done to better protect the controller from track shorts and hook-up mistakes. The DD206 and DD207 models are wired so the fuses are there just to protect the transistors and not add any resistance to the full power operation. The fact Matt came so close to normal lap times with the rental controller version is a bit surprising. Still, I think raceway owners should sell the DD206 as their lowest-priced controller.

The controllers will run everything below a G12 motor.

Back to work, bye.

• Cheater, team burrito, Wizard Of Iz and 8 others like this

Jim Difalco
Difalco Design
3075 NE Loquat Lane
Jensen Beach, FL 34957
(772) 334-1987
askjim@difalcoonline.com

Electric Dreams Online Shop