#1 Tomark

Tomark

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:59 AM

Hello everyone,

I have 19 x 14 space for a wood tabletop 1/32 track with four lanes. The track can use this whole space and I definitely want level change with a tunnel or doughnut loop and at least a 16 ft straightaway. I don't have to use the whole space, but its available within the room. I have already combed over the internet looking at pictures and I feel lost. I would love to see your design ideas for this space! Please help.  :)
Mark Sampadian

#2 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 12:22 PM

Routed or plastic?

#3 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 12:25 PM

Would you consider two straights connected by a punched bank a long straight?

Eddie Fleming

#4 Tomark

Tomark

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 01:04 PM

Dave,
Definitely routed track- 4 lanes.

Eddie,
Im open to any and all suggestions. I think Ive looked at so many, Ive kinda hit a writers block, where Im second guessing what is too many turns, chicanes, and just too busy and hard to reach. I will say-I plan on having a track marshal system where EVERYONE stops if a car comes off the track, gets put back in position, and power comes back on.

Thanks
Mark Sampadian

#5 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 04:45 PM

The longest lap length you can get in your space doesn't  mean that is the best design.   A bunch of tight turns and chicanes makes a hard to drive track.   Sometimes a simple, easy to drive track is the most fun and satisfying.   If you have experienced, great drivers a complicated track is fine, but for mortals consider something simple and easy to drive.

• Tomark likes this

Matt Bishop

#6 Tomark

Tomark

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 05:02 PM

I completely agree! And thats the balance Im looking for. I am also making it reversible, so it will be 2 tracks in one.
Mark Sampadian

#7 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 06:32 PM

I will say-I plan on having a track marshal system where EVERYONE stops if a car comes off the track, gets put back in position, and power comes back on.

I think that's a mistake. Design your track where it can be turn marshaled and you don't have to have track calls. "You "should be penalized for de-slotting, not everyone. There's nothing worse than being in a heat with someone who can't keep it in the slot and you can't get laps because of all the track calls. Track calls are a pain in rear.

• S.O. Watt and Tim Neja like this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#8 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 07:04 PM

You can be creative by running a perimiter track layout then have an infield layout all as part of the same lap along with lots of different corners and esses to make it challenging.

• David Reed, mickey thumbs and Tomark like this

#9 Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 07:19 PM

Sounds like the Daytona road course or the Charlotte roval.

• mickey thumbs and Tomark like this

#10 Tomark

Tomark

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 07:35 PM

You can be creative by running a perimiter track layout then have an infield layout all as part of the same lap along with lots of different corners and esses to make it challenging.

You’re reading my mind. This was my last idea for a course, very rough draft, needs to be scaled and flattened a little.970f458b1edfbc5e3d8cbcf2ea8e97c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mark Sampadian

#11 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 08:38 PM

Mark,

Here's a picture of our Club track. It was originally designed to run 1/32 and 1/24 since the group runs BRM and Scaleauto.

It fits in a 2.5 car garage as you see it. It could be shrunk and modified a bit to fit the tabletop space you suggested. It's a 4 lane routed Chris Dadds build.

We also run Retro CanAm, F1 and Flexi classes with Hawk 7, Mid-America Eagle class motors. Every now and then one of the racers brings a Wing G12 in for fun...

Scott

Tyler Slot Car Club

Scott Hruska
East Texas

#12 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 08:53 PM

Look up Dennis Samson's Pebblestone Raceway.  It's a very fun track in about the size space you're looking at.

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#13 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 09:32 PM

My track is a wood routed 4 lane track for 1/24 scale cars.  It measures 24ft by 18ft. I can be marshalled by 3 people.  By using a factor of .75 as a rough estimate to convert to 1/32 the measurements would be 18/13.5 feet See images below for shape

[cemter]ElectronFinalb.jpg

Electron Raceway.jpg [/center]
  • Pappy, Tim Neja, Rob Voska and 3 others like this

Rich Vecchio

#14 993

Likes to left foot brake.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:54 PM

I'd have some increasing and decreasing radius turns to create more interest when you reverse direction.

To me the Loop is not that interesting and creates a blind spot.

Elevation change is good, my old hill climb saved space with stacked straights against the long wall.

I would be conservative on the banking or camber help.

Agree design it for 2 or 3 corner workers.

Track calls suck, maybe race 8 or 10 laps at a time if 3 minutes is too long to stay on?

• Tomark likes this

Mike Gehgan

#15 993

Likes to left foot brake.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:55 PM

:)

sdr1233799485.jpg 100_1323x1239636910.jpg

• Alchemist, Fred Garvin and Tomark like this

Mike Gehgan

#16 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 11:09 PM

Forgot to attach the picture.  Senior moment... Sorry.

Attached Images

• TSC FB Graphic.jpg

• Pappy, Rob Voska, Alchemist and 2 others like this
Scott Hruska
East Texas

#17 Tomark

Tomark

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:20 AM

My track is a wood routed 4 lane track for 1/24 scale cars.  It measures 24ft by 18ft. It can be marshalled by 3 people.  By using a factor of .75 as a rough estimate to convert to 1/32 the measurements would be 18/13.5 feet See images below for shape [cemter]attachicon.gif ElectronFinalb.jpg attachicon.gif Electron Raceway.jpg[/center]

This is very nice! I like how you kept the lanes together to save space. Very similar to what Im looking for. Somehow I need to incorporate a long straight in there. Thanks for sharing-its been added to my notes!

Mark Sampadian

#18 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 09:00 AM

Old example I drooled over in 1966. Lots of technology changes since then but a good read if you haven't seen it already.

Paramount Ranch track build (slotracer.online)

• Tomark likes this
Bob Schlain

#19 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:44 AM

The electron design looks to be a great deal of fun. Perhaps you should start your design with what must be, what is optional and things you don't want. Place those items in the space you have and connect the pieces. Then see where you end up. Check to see what the minimum radius corners are required for your scale. Your 16 foot straight will be tough in the 19 ft space available.  The flexibility of 1/24 might come into play in the future whether your desires change or selling of the track.  If you do this to scale on cards stock or construction paper you can easily move stuff around. Cut straights and corners to the desired diameter and straights at 8 feet long. (the length of a sheet of MDF.) THis would help in projecting material costs too. Then when you have a real good idea, go to the drawing board or CAD program of your choice.

You may want to check out some of the track building threads for ideas such as elliptical routing. This technique can give increased speed for shorter tracks along with using available space more efficiently.

Once you have a design, sit on it for a while to see if you notice any problem areas. It's much easier to fix on paper than once it is up and running. These design are for my 8 x 32 foot print.

Attached Images

• Exp Gar Trk 1_=1' 4_lane 5.5 gutter.png
  • Track 2 (1).png

• Rob Voska, Shruska55 and Tomark like this

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!          Support Your local raceways!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         CavemanBodeez.com      Womp Mafia

#20 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:13 PM

If I ever build a track one thing I will not do is have a turn just before going under a bridge, If the bridge is over a straight there is almost no chance of cars off under the bridge.

I know that dose not help much with your layout but it is something I feel strongly about so thought I would through it in.

• Phil Smith, Rob Voska, John Streisguth and 2 others like this
Eddie Fleming

#21 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:20 PM

This is a very fun track design. 1/24th retro cars are what I experienced on it. It has 4” lane centers, and could easily be scaled down.

Wish I had room for it.

Attached Images

• 95E4FB75-0063-4A09-B256-5EAFA70FD75D.jpeg

• Tim Neja, David Reed, Shruska55 and 1 other like this

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

#22 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:34 PM

If I ever build a track one thing I will not do is have a turn just before going under a bridge, If the bridge is over a straight there is almost no chance of cars off under the bridge.

I know that dose not help much with your layout but it is something I feel strongly about so thought I would through it in.

I agree. But it's kind of hard to avoid and most tracks have this problem. Kingleman is one layout that doesn't.

• Tomark likes this
Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#23 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 04:16 PM

Dave,
Definitely routed track- 4 lanes.

Eddie,
Im open to any and all suggestions. I think Ive looked at so many, Ive kinda hit a writers block, where Im second guessing what is too many turns, chicanes, and just too busy and hard to reach. I will say-I plan on having a track marshal system where EVERYONE stops if a car comes off the track, gets put back in position, and power comes back on.

Thanks

A much better idea is short heat time (like 1 minute) doing 3 of them per lane, and if you come off, you're done for the heat.  Makes it so the driver who stays on the most will win versus a fast driver who can't stay on the track.  I've done a few races where there were only 5 or 6 guys and the race was stopped for every deslot....thats a BIG no thanks!

• Tim Neja likes this
"Whatever..."

#24 Tomark

Tomark

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 04:18 PM

The electron design looks to be a great deal of fun. Perhaps you should start your design with what must be, what is optional and things you don't want. Place those items in the space you have and connect the pieces. Then see where you end up. Check to see what the minimum radius corners are required for your scale. Your 16 foot straight will be tough in the 19 ft space available.  The flexibility of 1/24 might come into play in the future whether your desires change or selling of the track.  If you do this to scale on cards stock or construction paper you can easily move stuff around. Cut straights and corners to the desired diameter and straights at 8 feet long. (the length of a sheet of MDF.) THis would help in projecting material costs too. Then when you have a real good idea, go to the drawing board or CAD program of your choice.

You may want to check out some of the track building threads for ideas such as elliptical routing. This technique can give increased speed for shorter tracks along with using available space more efficiently.

Once you have a design, sit on it for a while to see if you notice any problem areas. It's much easier to fix on paper than once it is up and running. These design are for my 8 x 32 foot print.

All great ideas Brian, thanks!
Mark Sampadian

#25 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 07:32 PM

Carerra and Scalectric let you "design" a track with the pieces that they make.  Might not be what you want but it's an easy way to play with ideas & it would all be to scale. if you wanted it bigger it would be easy to figure out.

• Tomark likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop