No replies to this topic

#1 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

For several years, we at Electron Raceway have been racing True Scale, hard body cars based on inexpensive H-Bracket chassis. (These include, Scholer, Slotting Plus, Plafit and Scaleauto). Every few weeks, dedicated slot heads gather to race GT1, Historic Trans-Am and a Mixed race. (Mixed races may include sports cars, endurance prototypes, Can-Am cars etc.)

Our Fall series of races began on 9/6/17. Both Ron and I have Porsche 917s that we have never raced. Just to shake it up, I thought I would unveil one of these ultimate weapons in the Fall.

Some time ago, I used a Scholer I55-1360 1/32 Brass Pan Intruder Chassis as a basis for a Fujimi Porsche 917. The project was a great success and the Porsche; with a strong ProSlot PS-2002 Speed FX 16D balanced sealed motor (our spec motor for the class) is arguably the quickest of my True Scale rides. In fact, it may be the quickest of all of my hard body cars including scratch-built small wheeled (.790 inch diameter) cars.

I have been hesitant to enter the 917 in a race due to the fragile nature of the stock front end of the Intruder chassis coupled with a model which has little body/tire clearance. The stock front end of the chassis is fabricated from aluminum and tends to bend in a hard crash, especially if the body/tire clearance is slim. Below is an image of the I55-1360 chassis.

Scholer.jpg

In early August, I decided to fabricate a much stronger custom axle hanger to alleviate this problem. The job required a bit of soldering and tinkering but the final product was worth it. Below are a few images of the body and chassis configuration.

917_C1.jpg

917_C2.jpg

911_C3.jpg

917_Front.jpg

917_2.jpg

In its first race the 917 finished first, setting a new fast lap record for our mixed class at 4.893 seconds. The new front end proved bulletproof enduring a couple of very hard hits. The race did uncover an additional flaw. The button body mounts proved unacceptable breaking loose in simple contact. I will correct this problem prior to its next race.

I have posted the results of our first Triathlon of the fall series (which includes the 917s debut and two other races). The narrative includes many more images of the machines. See the link HERE.
  • Cheater, Tex, tazman and 3 others like this

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop