No replies to this topic

#1 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

The Lexington, S.C. gang hasn't held a race in quite some time, so we felt it was about time to do it again. Although we gather weekly at The Doghouse in Gilbert, S.C. every Wednesday night, we struggle to coordinate a date for a race that everyone can attend. So, we were missing some drivers (Don Weaver and "Buffalo" Bob Arneson, to be exact) this time, too.

The weapons of choice for this Saturday race: Retro Formula 1s. Most everyone has one; some of us have multiples -- which proved to be a good thing, as you'll soon see.

The original lineup of cars...

cars above.jpg

cars edited.jpg

And the usual suspects, for the most part, joined in the fun. We even had a new addition to the group. Welcome, Bob Feller!

Suspects edited.jpg

(L to R:  "Corvette" Keith Leggett, Marty "Dr. C" Cwiakala, "Fast Richard" Sylvester, David "White Shadow" Erickson, Dan "Rocky the Flying Squirrel" Parker, Bob Feller, and yours truly, SlowBeas)

Some of the guys didn't own a retro F1 since they're fairly new to the game of Retro, so we helped them out by spreading around some of our belongings. Richard setup David and Keith with some of his inventory, and I did the same for Marty.

Due to time constraints, we only ran two races. (Usually, we run three and take each racer's best two.) Early in the first race, Richard was involved in an accident that sheared his axle and ripped a bearing from the motor bracket, leaving him to borrow Dan's F1 v2. Unfortunately, it didn't allow Richard to put up his best effort, but it did enable his participation.

So, two races. Here's how they shaped up:

Heat totals.jpg

On this day, both of my F1s proved to be stellar performers. I have to credit Rick's RGeo F1 (the blue #5 in the above photo) and Jim Fowler's instructional piece for building the wishbone chassis that I used. It performed beautifully!

My second F1 (the light blue with the $ sign on it; my "Show Me the Money!" body) was actually built for me by Richard Sylvester. With "Dr. C" on the controller, it performed well, too. In fact, Marty pointed out afterward that between the two of us, we had 2 first places, 1 second and 1 third. Not a bad day for SlowBeas Racing!

All in all, it was another great day of racing at The Doghouse. Oh yeah, and the pizza intermission was delicious, too.

We hope to have another race shortly after the holidays. Be on the lookout for another report at that time.

Come join us sometime if you're ever in the area of Gilbert, S.C. Good racing and good fun. And some of the guys are okay, too.

• Pete L., bluecars and Eddie Fleming like this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

Electric Dreams Online Shop