#1 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

What a blast!

You know that feeling when you pull an old chassis out of the back of the box, straighten it up, freshen the tires and put a good S16 and new gears on it? Well, that was the feeling we experienced on Saturday by having a Flexi-2 race at The Doghouse.

The Flexi-2 can be pretty durable. Maybe not as much as the T-Flex, but pretty good overall.

So, the gang gathered for a monthly race to enjoy a day of racing on the four-lane. We put some time into making the cars good and fast, and the lap totals demonstrate that!

Here's a look at the group we squeezed into Richard Sylvester's garage:

Likely_Suspects.jpg

Kneeling: Jay Pittman, Keith Leggett

Standing: David Erickson, Richard Sylvester, Bob Feller, Bob Arneson, Dan Parker, Jim Beasley

As in past races, there was a lot of trash-talking going on, since only four could race at a time. But that allowed for turn marshalls and a race director for each of the two sets of four heats. (We still struggle sometimes with that lap counter, since we only set it up for a race once a month. So, we broke the race into two races of two sets of four heats each, to accommodate all eight racers. Simple enough...)

Motors were S16, gearing and tire choice were open to preference. Most of us ran 11-35, I believe. At least, that's what I was running. For tires, we wanted to ensure adequate chassis clearance through the entire race, so you couldn't run rubber-band tires with the chassis dragging the track.

The body was spec: Peugeot open-cockpit. Most of the guys chose to leave the front, but as you can see on the green #2 below, I chose to go with the rounded front instead. Also, for those who once ran with us in Abbeville, SC, you'll note "Slots of Fun" is my unpaid sponsor on the rear wing:

Lineup.jpeg

The results tell most of the story...

Scoresheet.jpg

The one thing that the numbers don't show, but you can probably deduce on your own, is that Richard had some significant issues in the first race. In fact, his car lost its gearing and it wouldn't keep up.

After thrashing about for a while, however, he was able to bring it back to its incredible level of speed, and he really showed what it could do in Race 2 with an overwhelming 205 laps! Had he not experienced such problems in the first race, I know the results of that race -- and those overall -- would have been much different.

Congrats to all the racers. As usual, we had a blast. It's great to have some new guys joining us for races, too. A bigger field = more challenge.

We haven't decided yet what to race for March but, when we do, you'll see it here on the 'Blog.

Keep it in the slot!

• Pablo, airhead, bluecars and 1 other like this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,180 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:48 AM

Way to go, FastBeas  :sun_bespectacled:  Wish I lived closer.

• SlowBeas likes this

Paul Wolcott

#3 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:23 PM

We wish you did too, Pablo! We'd love to have you join us.

jb

Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#4 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 12:14 PM

nice. i used to do the same thing to mine. 

Steve Lang

#5 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 04:13 PM

…..and he really showed what it could do in Race 2 with an overwhelming 205 laps!

Man on a mission!!  :D

• SlowBeas likes this

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

Electric Dreams Online Shop