• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cck42

cck42

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:04 AM

Is there any performance difference in gearing when the gear ratio is the same ex
12:36 vs 13:39
Chris Kapell

#2 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:43 AM

13/39 will give you more top end but less acceleration.  Depending on the track and type of car one ratio may work better than the other.

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#3 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:01 AM

They are the same ratio. The only advantage is that you will have more tooth area in contact with the 13/39, theoretically spreading the load out over more surface area and reducing wear and breakage. 

• tonyp likes this

#4 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:39 AM

Dave is right, technically the performance will be the same.  In reality, the bigger crown and pinion you use, the smoother the mesh, resulting in less friction and quieter car.  That makes a small performance advantage.

• Pablo and Tim Neja like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#5 Isaac S.

Isaac S.

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:58 AM

You have to use bigger tires then. On vintage cars that isn't to big of a problem though, but I don't know what you're racing. 

Isaac Santonastaso

#6 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,747 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:42 PM

13-39, as mentioned, will most likely give you a slightly better gear mesh.

But ease of installation, and as also mentioned, ground clearance should be considered.

A 39T spur is approx. .630" in diameter, so if you were running with .050" minimum clearance, .730" diameter tires would be the smallest you could use.

Back to performance,12-36 will require a bigger motor angle, which will affect weight distribution.

Depending on the car, tires, track, that could be a positive or negative, but I'm not sure anyone but a real experienced racer could tell the difference.

12-36 would be a lighter gear train, so your rotating mass would be reduced, so in theory you should see increased speed.

Imperative words, "in theory".

It would have to be tested to see if it was significant.

That's quite a bit of the the fun for serious racers.

Testing, and finding improvements.

• Pablo and Rich Joslin like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#7 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:48 PM

We are, of course, talking 64 pitch, and a 39 tooth spur should be just within realm of a typical flexi-car. If you run smaller tires, like for Eurosport, you will want to run 72 pitch or even 80 pitch gears. In fact, to run the tiny pinions those guys like to use, you absolutely will have to go with 80 pitch.

#8 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:30 PM

The 13x39 combo will stress the motor less and reduce your ability to dial out brakes especially with motors like the PS4002FK and Phoenix.  Another very popular 3:1 gear set is the 11x33.  Mostly used by FNRS series racers due to the mandatory 11T pinion.  It's usually run using ..710-700 dia. tires.  The gear set reduces the brakes a lot but the small tire diameter allows  some brakes to remain and increase as tire diameter decreases due to changing FDR (final drive ratio). I have raced GTP cars using this combo and had no problems.  Qualifying on a Gerding King in the low 3.6 range while other racers using the same combo in the high 3,5 range.  But having a choice I would run the 12x36 with .700 tires.  I believe it would stress the motor less and the FDR is the same as the 11x33 gears. 

Fred Younkin

#9 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,747 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:41 PM

If I don't ask it, someone else will. Lol

How does 13-39 "stress" the motor less?

Is that in reference to the mesh being minisculey superior?
  • tonyp likes this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#10 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:43 PM

As Mike said the differences are so small, most of us  couldn't tell the difference.    Get some gears and go play and see  what you like.    So many variables, from gear mesh,  axle lubrication., you just have to go play and experiment.

• Pablo likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#11 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:32 PM

Same ratios. Only difference will come from smoothness of the mesh and the difference in the weight of the gears.
  • tonyp likes this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#12 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:19 PM

It may sound silly to all you seasoned racers but I call it a stress number.  The higher the number the less stress on the motor.  It may be unsettled science but here's how I get the number. Keep in mind it's all based on running the same size tire size when comparing two different gear sets.  So if you compare 11x33 using .700 tires then 12x36 will have to have .700 tires also.  If comparing 13x39 needing .730 to tech then 12x36 would also need .730  I get the stress number by subtracting the pinion teeth from the spur teeth,  11-33=22, 12-36=24, and 13-39=26  With all else in order gear mesh, bushing alignment, and tire type.  Measure the heat of the motor after say a normal 2-3 minute heat.  Which gear set causes the least amount of heat in the motor.  It may be a small difference.  I look at it as a leverage thing.  When you use a lever to move something the pivot point (gear contact point) is placed as close to the object as possible, the short end of the lever (pinion).  The long end of the lever (spur) allows the least amount of power (stress) to move the object. If you increase the length (+ tooth count) of each side of the lever by the same ratio the amount of power it takes to move the object is reduced.  If you decrease the length (- tooth count) of the lever on each side by the same ratio you will increase the power (stress) needed to move the object. It's just my way of doing things and it has worked for me over the years.  So let it fly if you think I'm out to lunch or maybe agree.  I'm a big boy mentally and physically so I can handle it.

Fred Younkin

Electric Dreams Online Shop