• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Slot_Outlaw_24

Slot_Outlaw_24

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 06:21 PM

So its Christmas Break and I want to take the cars to the strip to get average times and hopefully do some racing. As I was looking them over, I noticed the gear mesh is off on all of them. I'm not sure if I'm setting them right, but what's worked for me so far is to loosen the set screw, put some receipt paper in between the gears, move the gears back together, tighten the set screw and move the rear wheels to get the paper out. I also don't know if I need to break each car in before setting the mesh. Each car feels different:

69 Charger/Parma Edge: The mesh on this one was perfect, but when I started doing test passes the crown gear broke because the motor shaft was slightly bent. I pulled the motor, swapped the motor, crown, and pinon gears, and put a drop or two of oil in the gears and

bushings before setting the mesh. The car was broken in, but I probably will need to do it again now that everything has been swapped. Forward movement feels right: It's smooth, but not too loose. Minimal pressure doesn't move the gears backwards, but it does rotate backwards with more. 

04 Corvette/Parma Edge: Put a drop of oil in the gears and bushings after setting them. The forward movement feels a bit stiff, but it takes a lot of effort to move the wheels backwards. It hasn't been broken in. 

83 Omni GLH/ESR 1 No bar: I put oil in the gears and the bushings. The forward movement is a bit loose and the wheels turn backwards with minimal pressure.

Hope you can help

Will Sutkowski

#2 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:55 PM

One tip I can give is to set the mesh as best as you can and then rotate the gear train through one full rotation and check for any "tight" spots.  If you find one it's often due to slightly bent shafts or out of round / non-concentric gears.  Once you find a tight spot (if any) set the mesh a bit snug, but not binding, right there and the rest of the mesh should be fine.

• Slot_Outlaw_24 likes this

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors Member, 2007-2010 (non-voting advisor)

Team Slick 7 Member 1998-2001

Retro Racer & Flat Track Fanatic

#3 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:32 AM

On these inline cars the mesh is tricky to get smooth. I suggest setting the gears and then running the car on the power supply to test it. Start out at low voltage and go all the way to 12 volts and make sure it stays smooth. You can also set the gears with no play and run at low voltage and heat them with a lighter. The tip of the flame right at the gear for a second is all it takes. You will hear a change in the sound. Then set the play and should be good to go. :)

• MattD and Slot_Outlaw_24 like this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#4 gjc2

gjc2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 09:41 AM

Gear lash and axel end play go together. I adjust both the lash and end play for the minimum that I can feel, then turn the axel a few degrees at a time checking adjusting both lash and play until I can just barely feel either at the tightest point in the rotation. If the bearing/bushing and gear faces are perfectly flat and the gear is perfectly straight and concentric the gear mesh and axel play won’t change as the wheel rotate.

• Slot_Outlaw_24 likes this
George Cappello

Electric Dreams Online Shop