32 replies to this topic

#1 IRRA Retro Racing

IRRA Retro Racing

Official Spokesman

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 02:57 PM

Due to availability problems with some of the popular approved Ti22 bodies used in IRRA racing, the BoD has voted to open submissions for Ti22 bodies. Samples will need to be provided to the IRRA BoD members to initiate the process of approval.

Interested bodymakers should indicate their desire to submit a Ti22 body for approval by emailing: irraboard@irraslotracing.com.
  • Half Fast, crazyphysicsteacher and Eddie Fleming like this

IRRA® Board of Directors: Mike McMasters, Joe Neumeister, Tony Przybylowicz, Mike Swiss, Greg Wells

#2 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 03:16 PM

Noose,

Do you know where to find the new Betta Ti22 bodies in the US?

#3 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 03:20 PM

Nope. They have to come from England.

• crazyphysicsteacher likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#4 blue&orange

blue&orange

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 04:47 PM

On the one hand, I appreciate that the Can-Am class, at least in Retro East, is basically a spec body class, with a rare Lola or McKee appearing. 

On the other hand, there are 63 different Can-Am bodies listed in the 2020 IRRA approved body list, plus 7 Oleg bodies since approved,, including 11 (eleven!) Ti22s. I know some will disagree, but it seems we're encouraging someone to clone (that is, copy) the Parma Ti2's – and probably, in time, the McLaren M7 and Lola T70 coupe as well – while there are manufacturers who already offer options.

Chris Matthy

#5 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

Chris,

Remember these are international rules and, believe it or not, other areas actually do run those other bodies.
  • Tim Neja likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#6 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:11 PM

I have direct copies of the three Parma Ti22s, M7, and Lola T70. Noose, if you and I can put our differences aside, I would consider providing some bodies for the approval process. But I am not going to waste the money on approval if there is no chance.

I am making a fair living without the IRRA. I view this as a way to help support a popular organization/class and its racers in the hobby.
  • cdtanner, Tim Neja, Dallas Racer and 2 others like this

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         http://www.cavemanbodeez.com

#7 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:18 PM

The new Betta TI22s are beautiful and I'm sure will be a very acceptable body for the IRRA. Someone that cares what body you run back there should contact Betta. The SCRRA has declined the body as it has a little better aero than our current bodies – and I'm sure would become the body of choice if allowed out here. 

FWIW.
  • crazyphysicsteacher likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#8 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:34 PM

Rather than try to continue the total dominance of the Ti22 for another 10+ years how about eliminating it and letting the other 63 bodies have their day in the sun? Sure, there will be a few that will rise to the top, as always, but hopefully it will be two or three and not just one.  Seems like that would be a lot more interesting than just another Ti-22 parade. 

Might this also be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to try to get together with some of the other Retro organizations and other local groups and try to forge a unified set of Retro body rules that could be used country, if not world wide?

• Dallas Racer, Brian Czeiner, spudboy and 3 others like this

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors Member, 2007-2010 (non-voting advisor)

Team Slick 7 Member

Retro Racer & Flat Track Fanatic

#9 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:17 PM

"Might this also be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to try to get together with some of the other Retro organizations and other local groups and try to forge a unified set of Retro body rules that could be used country, if not world wide?" :laugh2: 

Surely Jay you've been involved with this hobby long enough to know that would NEVER EVER HAPPEN!!? :dash2:     Slot racers will argue about EVERYTHING before agreeing on anything!! The latest motor problem is a case in point!  This really goes back to the TSR days--those were the most consistent motors we ever had-- but people could NOT agree on letting them alone. Then Falcons became available and SOME of them were faster--so TWO motors at least were giving everyone a choice!!  We STILL USE the TSR's on the flat tracks out west--finding their smoother power band better in many flat track races!! 

Then the RH came out---it was FASTER and they just had to go faster!! SO -- a new motor was approved and ran off the Puppy dogs too!! This was a "rebuldable" motor too!! But when the RH'S replaced them--we found 50 and 100 motor lot's being sold off!! So they were not any more consistent than the Falcons.   Now--the RH's have been having problems.  I'm sure JK will eventually sort this out---but the impatient experts want to go to ANOTHER motor from Roger--and its a HOTTER wind so it will end up replacing the RH'S!!  DO you see a trend here?  We DON'T need faster--just more consistent!  As a matter of fact --SLOWER would probably bring people BACK to retro racing--make better driving achievable with better handling cars.

But this DEAD HORSE is going to get beaten again  :shok: -- too bad really.  :o Patience is what we need--and that's always in short supply. :victory: 

Sorry--this rant is really in the wrong place--this thread is about BODIES!! Please move it Greg!

• cdtanner, Brian Czeiner, spudboy and 1 other like this

#10 gmpower

gmpower

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:19 PM

How about the guys who have a lot of TI22s already painted getting rid of them would just push guys away even more.
Eliminating them in my opinion is not the answer.
  • S.O. Watt, Half Fast, Tim Neja and 1 other like this
Greg Mayer

#11 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:46 PM

They will NEVER get rid of the TI--one of them most popular bodies of all time.  Now that we have a really SWOOPY track in LA-- we might be able to move to a body with less downforce--- and go faster without the proverbial TI on the frame!!  :)

#12 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:28 PM

Well, Tim, you are quite correct. and I do know the history of trying to get various organizations to work together.  

But I know one thing even more for sure, if we never try to make even little changes (like having a unified body list) nothing will ever change and we will always be a divided hobby/sport. I think with just a bit of progressive thinking we can at least make a few small improvements without having to reinvent everything.
  • Cheater and Tim Neja like this

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors Member, 2007-2010 (non-voting advisor)

Team Slick 7 Member

Retro Racer & Flat Track Fanatic

#13 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:50 PM

They will NEVER get rid of the TI--one of them most popular bodies of all time.  Now that we have a really SWOOPY track in LA-- we might be able to move to a body with less downforce –  and go faster without the proverbial TI on the frame!!  :)

In last month's King track Retro Can-Am race at Piranha, Duran Trujillo ran an older TrueScale McLaren M8 to a runaway victory with a staggering 379 laps...
  • Steve Deiters and Tim Neja like this

#14 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 12:43 AM

Once everyone dials in their chassis design... here we go again with chassis... the Ti22 will still be the body to use.
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#15 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 15,299 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 07:11 AM

There will always be one body that dominates. It has always been that way, will never change.
  • Phil Hackett, Half Fast, Steve Deiters and 5 others like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#16 Danny Zona

Danny Zona

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:22 AM

I haven't used a Ti22 in over a year in a race and I'll probably never use one again.

Unless I can't get a hold of the T-163.
  • Tim Neja likes this
#Test, test, test and go test some more.
You're never fast enough!!! 💯
#It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
#Preparation leads to separation.

KELLY RACING 😎

#17 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:27 AM

Personally for me the Ti22 I usually only use of flatter style track or tracks with low-medium bite. Any track that is swoopy or stuck I use a T-163 Lola. Just as fast and sometimes faster but almost always smoother. I have convinced others to try it and they have seen the difference.

Now do we need more Ti22's? Not necessarily but when you have a few styles made mostly by one manufacture that are getting harder to get it is time to seek other suppliers. If the other Ti22's on the list worked guys would use them. I'll also say on the other side of that coin guys want consistency and most will use what guys are winning with. If any of the heavy hitters started winning with a Kirby ti22 by ____ company then that's all that guys would buy.

My opinion is bodies are cheap and help support raceways. Try some that are on the list that maybe have not been tried and see what you get. I tried an Oleg Lola GT coupe last month and found it was faster out of the turn than the parma and turn the same lap times. Tested an Oleg King Cobra next week for can am.
  • S.O. Watt, Tim Neja and Racer36 like this
A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#18 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:29 AM

If the idea of eliminating the Ti gets any traction,let’s at least push that change out a year or so. I have about 35 painted bodies to use up, if I ever get to a raceway that is!

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#19 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:33 AM

I'm sure if it comes to any bodies being disapproved it will be a year minimum. Similar to what happen a few years ago when other bodies were no longer available.
A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#20 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 12,109 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:43 AM

There will always be one body that dominates. It has always been that way, will never change.

In the 70's we first ran Lancer Porsche coupes, then the Dynamic Porsche, then the Lucas Matra, & then the O/S Ferrari. I ran the O/S Ferrari into the early 80's.  :)

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#21 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:47 AM

Sometimes the only thing that changes in the "body of choice" discussion in slot racing is the calendar year.  lol

• Noose, Dallas Racer and TG Racing like this

#22 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:34 AM

Does anyone know if Parma's molds are for sale?

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#23 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 11:04 AM

Does anyone know if Parma's molds are for sale?

Mike,

I've been asking around about the company in general being for sale and basically hearing nothing definitive or even a remote hint, but stranger things have happened.  I'll still be asking around...

#24 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 12:05 PM

Just look at what specific bodies regularly win.

Cull the clones that don't win or any bodies aren't available by a specific date.

Asking for more variations of what's already available in abundance is ridiculous.

This is about racing, not about keeping anyone in business or making sure everyone still has their favorite body.

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#25 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,192 posts
  • Location:Was Silicon Beach Adjacent - Now the Playa District

Posted 08 January 2021 - 12:48 PM

Mike,

I've been asking around about the company in general being for sale and basically hearing nothing definitive or even a remote hint, but stranger things have happened.  I'll still be asking around...

The wrong people are being asked. I suspect public records might a place to start but remember $$$$$$$ talks and BS walks, contenders not pretenders. And, no, I don't know anything that the industry doesn't already know.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

Electric Dreams Online Shop