#1 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts
  • Location:The Cumberland Plateau - Known locally as "Paradise"

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:52 PM

Anyone out there using the Gophert NPS-1601 power supply on your 1/32 home tracks? The price is incredible! There must be a catch.

Someone was trying to tell me that 5 amps is not enough for homeset cars? I have to conclude that they have no concept of what amps that a homeset car draws? It's my experience that the hottest "plastic chassis 1/32" cars draw much less than ½ amp under load.

I am not going to list the price that I found it being offered for because the market is volatile and could change at a moment's notice. It is easy to search and find dealers that are selling this power supply or the YouTube video review of the product.

All I know about it is shown below. The above mentioned YouTube video shows the units capability in depth.

Gophert NPS-1601 Front.png

Gophert NPS-1601 .png

That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#2 mreibman

mreibman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:00 PM

I don't have any issues with my gophert. the 32V/5A model is ok... just not enough amps for wing car motors. But the knock on it? the leads it comes with are worse than garbage. Replace them, and it's fine.

Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer.
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding Womp.
More powerful than a 36D.

#3 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:18 PM

I don't have any issues with my gophert. the 32V/5A model is ok... just not enough amps for wing car motors. But the knock on it? the leads it comes with are worse than garbage. Replace them, and it's fine.

I plan to use other wire to hook the two units up to the track so all good in that regard.

Thank you for your comment.

#4 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:24 PM

I got both of my Gopherts delivered for under $60.00   They are 0-16 volts 10 amps    Model # CPS 1610   FYI   there's a LOT of various ones available 

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#5 Isaac S.

Isaac S.

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:33 PM

5A is plenty for 1/32 cars. Some of mine draw about an amp when they are at full acceleration. Was able to get a cheap ($50, made in China) one with 10A and 30V and it seems to work okay to power my cars. Looking at the specs of yours it seems pretty high quality and is probably a good deal. I chose 10A as 5A will be too little to test some of the 1/24 motors/cars. The anglewinder I just restored drew 7.2A before break in at 3V. Hope this helps some. 

Isaac Santonastaso

#6 blue&orange

blue&orange

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:26 PM

Checking on eBay -- make sure you use a buyer that offers plug choice, since there are 4 different ones.

Chris Matthy

#7 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:58 PM

5A is plenty for 1/32 cars. Some of mine draw about an amp when they are at full acceleration. Was able to get a cheap ($50, made in China) one with 10A and 30V and it seems to work okay to power my cars. Looking at the specs of yours it seems pretty high quality and is probably a good deal. I chose 10A as 5A will be too little to test some of the 1/24 motors/cars. The anglewinder I just restored drew 7.2A before break in at 3V. Hope this helps some. 

In my case I am only going to use them to power the track. One PS per two lanes.

Thank you for your comments.

#8 Wink Hackman

Wink Hackman

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:49 AM

I'd suggest that you go with the CPS 1610, 0-16 volt, 10 amp version.  Especially if you're using it for 2 lanes - that's 5A available per lane, and you're never going to want over 13 volts anyway.

• Tim Neja and Eddie Fleming like this

Electric Dreams Online Shop