#1 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • Location:Was Silicon Beach Adjacent - Now the Playa District

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:59 PM

.... and he survives! (By the grace of God).

It seems the ammo was more than just hot.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#2 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:19 PM

He was damn lucky with that happening. I saw this video last week, that rifle just came apart! As beat up as that fellow is, he is LUCKY! He didn't look too hot in the hospital, but, he recovered pretty fast.

Tom Eatherly

#3 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:58 PM

Crazy...!

When I shoot my Mosin Nagant and Mauser I'm always afraid the bolt is gonna go through my cheek.
  • boxerdog likes this
David Parrotta

#4 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,452 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:51 PM

I just started reloading, and I was pretty nervous about shooting the first couple of rounds.  :shok:

"Whatever..."

#5 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:30 PM

I just started reloading, and I was pretty nervous about shooting the first couple of rounds.  :shok:

John, I've been handloading since 1977. Need some help? Everything from .22-250, 7x57 Mauser, .270 Win, .308 Win, 30-06, .45 auto, .45 Colt, .38/.357 and 30-30. If you have components, you're good. Might be able to give you a pointer or two, if needed.

• Robert BG likes this
Tom Eatherly

#6 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,452 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:20 AM

Thanks Tom, I've managed to find enough components to get started (and had purchased some a few years ago before the recent craziness....).  Keeping it simple for now, just 223 and 6.5 CM

"Whatever..."

#7 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• Subscriber
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:34 PM

Dang Lucky!

• MSwiss likes this

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

"Even if you're on the Right Track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

Enjoy life! Race Slot Cars and read SlotBlog!

#8 John Luongo

John Luongo

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 04:58 AM

he was very fortunate. screw cap on the end of the receiver doesnt seem like very sound idea. i wonder if he had any remaining rounds pulled and analyzed. 

#9 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:30 PM

I've seen and heard of a few mishaps over the years and besides the one involving a guy I wouldnt trust loading a slingshot. They all involved people getting complacent........take your time,double and triple check things and have fun. It's a hobby and not a race is what an old timer taught me. He said if I want fast then go to the store and buy them otherwise have fun. Last but least is for my common loads I made tooling that helps me check for a double charge and it's saved me a few times when I got distracted by a phone call/knock at door etc.

• John Luongo likes this
Robert Fothergill

#10 John Luongo

John Luongo

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:44 PM

i would second robert bg's comments. i reload with cast bullets keeping loads mild and around 1800fps. using a powder that will maintain at least a 75-80% case fill will prevent double charges. no distractions at the loading bench: no tv, radio, or miss july's callender photo hanging up, although that could be an OSHA violation. best regards

• Rotorranch and Robert BG like this

#11 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:08 PM

John,my "normal" recipes use powders that also fill the case enough to almost prevent a double shot..........I say almost because of the guy I mentioned that I wouldnt trust to load a slingshot ;-) He's a great guy and actually intelligent. But when it comes to common sense he really got the short end of the stick and Darwinism has come VERY close to punching his clock a few times over the years :D

But lately some of the powders for my normal recipes have been impossible to get. So I stocked up on stuff that works well in a few different loads and just made a few "powder cops" to fit each recipe. They're super easy to make or you can buy them. But I tend to stay away from the adjustable ones because it is one more variable in the equation. Plus I'm a cheapskate at times if it involves anything I can make.

• John Luongo likes this
Robert Fothergill

#12 John Luongo

John Luongo

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:40 PM

your right, cant be too careful. thats one of the reasons trail boss can be very effective. light, fluffy with good case fill. i use a flashlight to visually inspect each case load. it has been difficult obtaining the "right" powders and components. esp primers. i have bullet molds in the style and weight that i routinely load as well as a very good supply of lead. plus, i will recover range lead and use that too. i load for accuracy as opposed to high volume of rounds produced. i will use the lee dipper method for some reloads, otherwise powder scale measure. same with 12ga reloads. although i make up a reduced load with buck and ball. worked very well against a few critters trying to get at my chickens. warmest regards

#13 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:53 PM

That's pretty scary. I own a pawn shop and we buy a lot ammo from customers. I'm going to tell my guys to be sure to take in factory loads only. Maybe not take ammo at all. A lawsuit from an incident like that would put me out of business.

Phil Smith ® ©

Electric Dreams Online Shop