• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LastHobbyPromise

LastHobbyPromise

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:27 PM

Hey all, I am thinking about setting up a 1/32 1/8th mile drag strip. Where can I go to find out all the things I will need and the info to set everything up. Length, run off, lights, all of it.
Thanks

Steve Pinney

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 08:41 PM

I'm not a drag guy, but this may help. Type in "1/8 drag racing tracks" to Slotblog's search engine then click on the green button. Scroll down past the advertisements and you will find tons of info

Paul Wolcott

#3 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 07:51 AM

Google search will turn up the info you want.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#4 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 01:03 PM

1/8 mile is 660 ft. Divide 660 by 32 is 20.625 ft.  That's the track length. I'd use as much shutdown as you have room for... Longer is better. As far as timing I have no idea. 

Rotor

• LastHobbyPromise likes this
Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#5 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 05:58 PM

Trackmate has a drag timing system. Not sure of the price but some cool features. If you have room, go an outlaw 1000' strip. You would need 31'-3" starting line to finish line, about 18" or so of staging plus your shut down. If you plan on running 1/32 Carrera type cars, the staging can be much shorter. The extra 11' of racing will be worth it. You can always get the trackmate system with the 660' (1/8 mile) sensor in it for additional stats and fun.

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         http://www.cavemanbodeez.com

#6 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:05 AM

The Trackmate system, with all it's features, is by far the best. But expensive. Look at it this way. If slot racing is your gig, and you get the most enjoyment from it, spend the money. If it is a sometimes hobby, there are cheaper systems that only give ETs and speeds. I have spent many hundreds of thousands of dollars auto racing, and it has been the biggest thrill, save maybe aerobatics, that I could have in life. It's like anything else. I'm sure you would get a bigger kick out of driving a real Superstock drag car down a 1/4 mile drag strip than you will ever get from slot racing. But if you can't afford that, slot racing will have to suffice. Take it to the limit.

The length of the timed area is not really so important. The length will be the same for everyone, and if you aren't trying to set national records, it doesn't really matter. Make it as long as you can, keeping at least 1/4 of the length of the timed length to be added as shut down. (i.e., for a 40 foot timed length, make sure you can add 10 feet for shut down. One foot is enough for staging for anything except full length 1/24th scale rails and funny cars with wheelie bars. Just keep in mind that you may someday want to run 1/24th scale cars. And for that, you will have to have a capture system, like a pile of soft towels or rags, for the cars in shutdown. Or a much longer shutdown area.  

#7 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 01:06 PM

You can gain a little extra length by having the starting line away from the wall a few feet while keeping the far end tight against the wall. It will only gain you a few inches but you racers can then stand shoulder to shoulder looking down the track.

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         http://www.cavemanbodeez.com

Electric Dreams Online Shop