3 replies to this topic

#1 Slot Car Rod

Slot Car Rod

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 04:31 PM

The JK brand Shadow DN2 1/24th scale slot car body is one of the few models of this car.  The body came pre-painted and decalled or unpainted.  The decal sheet was available also.  I purchased this body painted by an individual.  The body is cut out tall for the large tires.

The one-to-one scale Can-Am Shadow DN2 was designed and run with a turbocharged Chevy V8 engine.  The turbocharged engine was under-developed and unreliable.  The team switched back to a naturally-aspirated engine and had reasonable results.

I like building slot cars with closer to scale wheels and tires.  My favorite chassis to use with the larger wheels and tires is a Champion TURBO-flex.  The chassis is modified for the larger wheels and tires.  The motor used in this car is a Hawk 7.  The large spur gear is a 56-tooth polymer drag race gear.

Driving a large tire Champion chassis car is like driving the normal small tire Champion chassis car.  

sh9.jpg

Body mounting pins are at factory cut line.
sh10.jpg

Drag race spur gear and angled pinion gear.
sh4.jpg

Chassis center section on the jig.  Uprights recessed for the axle tubes.  Brass rods placed under the chassis for desired clearance.
sh1.jpg

Actual tires used as jig wheels and brass rods under the chassis provide desired clearance.  Axle tubes installed.
sh2.jpg

Rear U-brace.
sh3.jpg

Pan cut on lines to clear large tires.
sh5.jpg

Finished chassis.  Optional notch in rear axle tube for C-Can.  Front tires are above the track (with recessed braid track) and were trimmed slightly smaller after the chassis was completed.
sh6.jpg

Pro-Track wheels.  Hard foam fronts and H&R fish foam rear tires.  Indy car wheels cut down for use as inserts.
sh7.jpg

Body cut tall.  Coins used as wheel well templates.
sh8.jpg

• don.siegel, Pablo, vfr750 and 6 others like this
Rodney Chew

#2 vfr750

vfr750

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 06:01 PM

Decent sized wheels make al the difference between a model car and a projectile!

Cheers,

John

• Slot Car Rod likes this

John Roche
Galway, Ireland

The Devil made me do it

Classic Slot Car Racing Association

#3 Larry Horner

Larry Horner

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 01:08 AM

Rodney, I love that this car is a mash up of old and new school. Keep on drawing outside the lines!

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 08:42 AM

The old VMRA used to have a class where they used big wheels & raised axles on a flexi chassis, similar to this Champion. I recall seeing photos of cars built by Russ Toy using JK chassis. I don't recall how long it lasted.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

Electric Dreams Online Shop