• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Racecan67

Racecan67

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:39 PM

I'm a very novice/beginner to HO slot cars. - AFX in the 70's - Tyco in the 90's

I just recently bought a large box of 90's era Tyco track at a yard sale and I couldn't pass it up.

It had no cars. A friend loaned me and Auto World VRC Hobbies Ford Shelby GT car.

I lightly sanded all the track rails w 600 grit emory, wiped it w damp cloth and the Auto World car ran pretty good.

I then ordered 2 AFX Mega G+ cars because they were low profile and cool looking.

When I put them on the track, they were SO fast the flew off even with the slightest triggering.

I ordered some Jelclaw rear tires, seemed to help a little, but still can barely make a lap without flying off.

Are these just the wrong cars for this track?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions20221130_131050.jpg

Scott Allred

#2 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 03:15 PM

There can be many factors at play here.
Check power supply voltage, should be between 15 and 18 volts.
A not obvious issue might be the depth of your mega g+ guide pins. Tyco track is notoriously shallow. Take a loose piece of track and see if the pin is holding the front end up when viewed at the end.
  • 993 likes this

#3 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:34 PM

The new Mega G+ cars like a 120 ohm controller.  The controller in the pic is the issue.

• Tim Neja likes this

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

#4 Racecan67

Racecan67

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:21 PM

There can be many factors at play here.
Check power supply voltage, should be between 15 and 18 volts.
A not obvious issue might be the depth of your mega g+ guide pins. Tyco track is notoriously shallow. Take a loose piece of track and see if the pin is holding the front end up when viewed at the end.

The wall plug reads Output 15 OVDC .

I looked at the guide pins on the AFX and Auto World cars, they both rest completely in the track groove without lifting the chassis. That seemed like it could be the answer

but no luck.

Maybe I should have just stuck with Tyco 440 cars? I just like the look of the new AFX and was told they would work on my track.

Thanks

Scott

Scott Allred

#5 Racecan67

Racecan67

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:25 PM

The new Mega G+ cars like a 120 ohm controller.  The controller in the pic is the issue.

Do you think if I just use Tyco 440 cars they would work with my cheap stock controller?

I'm trying to not get in too deep financially . The advanced controllers look a lot more expensive than two cars?

Thanks

Scott Allred

#6 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 05:37 PM

Scott - look on flea bay.  I've seen a pair of 120 ohm afx controllers for around twenty bucks.  Best bang for buck is viper v1 or wizzard storm extreme cars both in the forty buck range.  Viper is the new modern version similar to the afx super G+, wizzard are the new version similar to tyco 440 cars.  Harden Creek Slot Cars online has some great information and videos to check out. 

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

#7 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:15 PM

Tyco 440 X2 is my favorite mag traction car. You can't go wrong with those.

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#8 Racecan67

Racecan67

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:30 PM

Scott - look on flea bay.  I've seen a pair of 120 ohm afx controllers for around twenty bucks.  Best bang for buck is viper v1 or wizzard storm extreme cars both in the forty buck range.  Viper is the new modern version similar to the afx super G+, wizzard are the new version similar to tyco 440 cars.  Harden Creek Slot Cars online has some great information and videos to check out. 

Thanks Charlie,

I'm going to hunt for a 120 ohm that will fit my Tyco track. Or maybe splice the AFX into the tyco plug

Scott Allred

Electric Dreams Online Shop