• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#51 Matt Bruce

Matt Bruce

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 12:59 PM

Problem with putting a hole in the interior without being able to view the entire underside of the roof should be pretty obvious. For one, where do you think someone would put a thicker piece of plastic or tape? Exactly, right where the hole lines up with the interior. Second, without being able to see the bottom of roof, you cant tell whether something like that is there, or if they sanded the body everywhere but that spot. SMH
  • Eddie Fleming likes this

#52 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 01:33 PM

I certainly took in consideration the scenario of a racer trying to build up that measuring area.

But in my IMO, at least with this body, you can easily spot if the area has been built up in that small area.

And if there is a question, that interior can be partially detached to access the whole inner roof.

I just don't think you'll ever need to do it.

Not with Noose and his hyersonic eyes, anyway. Lol

I would just hate to have a racer suck in his interior, in the race, after hastily refastening it in the tech area.

20240110_121837.jpg

Screenshot_20240110_122128_Gallery.jpg

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#53 Matt Bruce

Matt Bruce

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 01:51 PM

Never need to do it? You havent been to many Retro races have you Mike? What is that, a Cyclone body? I cant remember the last Cyclone body I saw being raced. Irregardless, we are where we are because a precident was never set early on in regards to body thickness. In fact, I can say Ive never seen the roof measured period, probably because nobody ever had an accurate way to do it. The racers know this, and have taken complete advantage of that fact.

#54 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 02:03 PM

Never need to do it?

Not never needing to measure the roof.

"Never need to do it" as in having to unfasten the interior to measure it..

IMO, the tech person could easily see if the measuring area in the middle of the roof was tampered with to make thickness.

Looking through the side windows I can see the whole underside of the roof in the area of the Noose painted "85" that dominates the roof area.

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#55 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 02:16 PM

A simple push test on the roof or hood by an experienced tech inspector (rhymes with moose) would reveal whether more inspection  with a caliper is needed. No need to delay the race by testing every car.

Cheers

• NJ Racer, MSwiss, Tim Neja and 1 other like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#56 Matt Bruce

Matt Bruce

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 02:19 PM

You said I just dont think you will ever need to do it. Meaning removing one side of the interior to be able to see the entire underside of the roof. I totally disagree with you, in fact, if there is any retro class where you should allow the interior to be mounted to the chassis its Stockcar just for that simple fact. You absolutely need to see the underside of the roof. Slot racers are pretty crafty when it comes to making you think its all good rule wise, when in reality nothing could be farther from it.
  • JerseyJohn likes this

#57 CDavis7

CDavis7

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 02:21 PM

Is this body legal? How is it not measuring .015 anywhere if that is supposedly the original thickness of the lexan before pulling it? And Im expecting that this was an off the parts wall body
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#58 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 02:42 PM

Chris:

The vacuum forming process will always produce a thinner body than the original material thickness it was made from due to the heating and stretching inherent in the process.  The areas that stretch the least (the roof) will be thicker and the ones that stretch the most (the sides) thinner, hence the different thickness' allowed on different parts of the body.

• MSwiss, Tim Neja, CDavis7 and 4 others like this

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors (2022-Present),

Gator Region Retro Racing Co-Director (2021-Present)

SERRA Co-Director (2009-2013)

IRRA BoD advisor (2007-2010)

Team Slick 7 member (1998-2001)

Way too serious Retro racer

#59 CDavis7

CDavis7

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 02:50 PM

Chris:
The vacuum forming process will always produce a thinner body than the original material thickness it was made from due to the heating and stretching inherent in the process.  The areas that stretch the least (the roof) will be thicker and the ones that stretch the most (the sides) thinner, hence the different thickness' allowed on different parts of the body.

I get that. But an .015 body should be .015 somewhere.

Go grab a RTR charger body of a parts wall. Itll measure.015
  • rmjlmartin likes this
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#60 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 02:55 PM

I doubt it.

Maybe if RTR started with something like .016" - .017" material (oversize .015")

Mike Swiss

#61 CDavis7

CDavis7

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 03:02 PM

Mike- if you have one on your wall, please grab those calipers compared to what you posted.
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#62 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 03:26 PM

I don't. 

Mike Swiss

#63 CDavis7

CDavis7

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 05:48 PM

Not busting chops Swiss. A RTR Charger is noticeable because he starts with .015. It may be the only SC body thats meets the spirit of the body thickness rule
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#64 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 06:01 PM

I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Does it say anywhere in the rules that a particular part of the body has to measure  .015" ?

Did my 5 year old  VFC Charger, that Noose and Edsel gifted me for staying at my house at the Sano, that measures .0135", somehow offend you?

Mike Swiss

#65 CDavis7

CDavis7

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 06:14 PM

Geez Swiss, no. I said Im not busting chops. Im saying that for years SC bodies seemed to be getting thinner. IRRA has been around for a long time. RTR got his body approved and have been not only consistently thick but most similar to the SC body thickness of 10 years ago.

Did my asking if you could compare your VFC gift to an RTR offend you? You demonstrated that you had a useful tool at the ready.

Sorry to ask for your cooperation in comparison of two bodies of similar type
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#66 CDavis7

CDavis7

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 06:14 PM

Geez Swiss, no. I said Im not busting chops. Im saying that for years SC bodies seemed to be getting thinner. IRRA has been around for a long time. RTR got his body approved and have been not only consistently thick but most similar to the SC body thickness of 10 years ago.

Did my asking if you could compare your VFC gift to an RTR offend you? You demonstrated that you had a useful tool at the ready.

Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#67 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 06:18 PM

As I said in post #27 it is not the bodies hanging on the wall that are the problem in most cases.

• DOCinCanton and Samiam like this
Eddie Fleming

#68 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 06:28 PM

Chris:

There is always a tolerance on raw materials, as Mike said RTR might have a supplier that delivers material on the high side of the tolerance.  Even starting with slightly thicker material you might still not get .015 on the roof, much less anywhere else on the body.   it really depends on a lot of factors in the vacuum forming process.

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors (2022-Present),

Gator Region Retro Racing Co-Director (2021-Present)

SERRA Co-Director (2009-2013)

IRRA BoD advisor (2007-2010)

Team Slick 7 member (1998-2001)

Way too serious Retro racer

#69 Hot Slots

Hot Slots

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 06:39 PM

Hook up bodies are my favorite.

The RTR Stocker has to be one of the thickest bodies out there, they feel like rental car bodies.
Brandon Eden

#70 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 06:40 PM

I told you I didn't have an RTR Charger in stock.

Apologies that was not a good enough answer for you.

Mike Swiss

#71 Modelville Guy

Modelville Guy

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 07:20 PM

I am sorry but because a racer has a thin body does not mean they are cheating. 

It means they found the thin one.

The problem is where did the thin ones come from, my kitchen oven or an approved supplier.

If it their oven then they are cheating throw them out. 1. they did not get that body approved. 2. They knew what thickness they were using.

It an approved supplier made thin bodies then un-approve their bodies. They know what the market is for these bodies. They know what they got approved. They did it to help their friend/racers run better. They cheated the system. Throw them out of IRRA or what ever group that approved a thicker body than what they make for some.

• CDavis7 and Clyde Romero like this

Richard Payne

#72 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 07:55 PM

Hook up bodies are my favorite.

The RTR Stocker has to be one of the thickest bodies out there, they feel like rental car bodies.

Why I quit selling clear bodies about 2 years ago (other than my CR007 M7, mostly to distributors)

I don't have the time or patience, anymore, to deal with the "pick me a thin one" requests.

PS - sincere apologies to CD for being snippy with him. I had a lot of packages to get out.

I should of never got involved in that conversation considering that was the situation. 

Again, apologies. 

20240110_184058.jpg

Mike Swiss

#73 CDavis7

CDavis7

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 07:57 PM

The problem is where did the thin ones come from, my kitchen oven or an approved supplier.
If it their oven then they are cheating throw them out. 1. they did not get that body approved. 2. They knew what thickness they were using.

It an approved supplier made thin bodies then un-approve their bodies. They know what the market is for these bodies. They know what they got approved. They did it to help their friend/racers run better. They cheated the system. Throw them out of IRRA or what ever group that approved a thicker body than what they make for some.

And I just bought a bunch from your wall last week! I included one which I knew to be thick but wanted to check it out. A few other parts from your well stocked place as well.
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#74 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 08:05 PM

Just as I asked you in the Retro East FB forum, what happens when Company A's body is backpoured and pulled by Company X or Individual Z ?

Who do we throw out since it will most likely not be publicized?

Mike Swiss

#75 Richie

Richie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 04:07 PM

How much weight is being shaved off these stock car bodies?

Obsessed is the word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

- Richie Austin

Electric Dreams Online Shop