• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 Mike Steube

Mike Steube

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

The car Phillipe has posted of my brother, Billy, is basicly the same food for thought of my latest chassis. The two sets of double rails per side is a winner. You can't go wrong if your looking to build your first chassis and you choose this car as a model. I see he used a one piece rail from the front axle, around the gear area and back to the front axle. He has a neat bracket bracing rod running from the bottom of the bracket to each axle tube, Sano stuff here. This is the guy who taught me to build and you can see the influence in my frames from these pictures. :)

#27 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

To all Jail Door builders : Is Mike Morrissey's car in Round 5 of the Rod and Custom race Illegal, due to all the extra side rails and his trianulation on the outriggers ? If we are trying to re create cars from the Rod and Custom race, would this car not be a viable build ? Morrissey in his Ferrari has stacked outrigger brass rod, on his Team Russkit Ferrari Car #9, and there is outrigger brass in front of the front wheels. Picture #5 shows triangulation on the outriggers. Could someone please clarify, because I do not understand why you can not have stacked outriggers ????? Ken Larimer's car has tapered rails, and Ron Quintana's car has a tapered outside rail. I know that I am a novice, just wanting to understand why cars from the original race would now be ILLEGAL ? These are from the pages of the magazine, and this is the 5th race in the series.

I am NOT trying to cause trouble, just trying to bring to the attention of all this before people have to disassemble cars already built.

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#28 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

Mill, it is because a line had to be drawn in the sand somewhere and Mike did that a long time ago. Otherwise there would be no parameters and history would repeat itself in a matter of one race with all cars ending up with wings, pans and .50 dia. wheels. After a couple of races and lots of threads discussing the rules I find your statement about not wanting to cause trouble... not really your true purpose or else you would have taken this into PM's with someone in the know.

Shame on you Mill!

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#29 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• Member at Peace
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

I think Mike's rules are a great starting point and we needed to start somewhere. He started this and people just started building and wanting to know this and that and why and why not so fast, it got out of hand.

Please Mike please do not stop! Lets get some racing under our belt and then if we need to refine the rules later on we can. If ANYONE does not like having to build another chassis later because more is allowed then we DO NOT NEED THEM RACING anyhow!

Stop the rules right here and call it good enough! Lets PLAY!

Dang guys you sound like a bunch of USRA's!

If you don't like the rules as they are now then buy a S-7 clone car and you will know where everything goes in a pitch black room and build it!

Barney Poynor
12/26/51-1/31/22
Requiescat in Pace

#30 68Caddy

68Caddy

The Direktor

• 10,546 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

Barn
I with ya, I'm building a Mike S jail door chassis as we speak and man that's tough? I bought a S-7 chassis just for fun for me and nobody else, but I like
the rules the way it is, for the jail door class and please keep it that way,
because I'm sure putting in a effort into my first build chassis, man it's hard. :laugh2: :laugh2:
Respect to you builders out there and don't mess with the rules right now please? :blush:

Nesta
Posted Image
- Gabriel
Nesta Szabo

In this bright future you can't forget your past.
BMW (Bob Marley and the Wailers)

United we stand and divided we fall, the Legends are complete.
I'm racing the best here at BP but Father time is much better then all of us united.
Not a snob in this hobby, after all it will be gone, if we keep on going like we do, and I have nothing to prove so I keep on posting because I have nothing to gain.
It's our duty to remember the past so we can have a future.

Pistol Pete you will always be in my memory.

#31 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

I "believe" Mike's idea to race jaildoor cars based on the 1966 R&C races was not to have another "creative" design class where some builders "push the envelope" as far as the rules are concerned. Keeping with the most common designs raced in 1966 is what this is about. There were some "leading edge" designs raced back then, but I'm sure Mike doesn't want these "fringe" type designs to become what we race this time. The "podium" cars back then would be a good start as far as how your jaildoor chassis should look.
I agree with Barney that we should just get a few races under our belt and go from there. I'm sure that if anyone tries to be too creative and push the rules envelope too much that they will be reeled back in to the most common designs of that era.

Hang in there Mike. We need your experience/vision to recreate this series. It's going to be a lot of fun to race cars which look more like the real cars and require you to drive them thru the turns!

Are Morrissey's ears beginning to burn yet?

Keith :rolleyes:

Team Rolling Hills circa '66-'68

#32 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

I don't have all of the answers for all of the people that are unhappy with the Jail Door program. So, those of you that have all of the answers and know how to run this program, please step up to the plate and take over. I quit. :) I'll race them but, I'm not running this show any longer. :)

Mike,
Don't be silly. :laugh2: Keep all the rules as posted concerning Intent, Dimensional Specs, Motor Brackets, No Floating Body Mounts, Drop Arms, Motors, Bodies, etc. etc. My only suggestion would be in chassis construction....... Rule #1. All cars to be constructed with 1/16" through 5/32 "brass or bronze rod or tubing as per the 1966 cars. END OF RULES. When you return as CEO and tech inspector you will have the final say as to the legality of the cars in keeping with the spirit, intent and appearance. If you don't like something tell them to change it before the next race as you have always done. I think the problem arises from the Jailhouse Rules that states, "Chassis should reflect the ones shown in the 1966 Rod and Custom race reports on the internet," but if constructed accordingly would be illegal. The rules seem to contradict themselves and as usual with all this new stuff it just needs some sorting out. Just a suggestion as I believe too many specific rules only causes enforcement problems. Sure gonna miss Chris.

#33 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

Mill, it is because a line had to be drawn in the sand somewhere and Mike did that a long time ago. Otherwise there would be no parameters and history would repeat itself in a matter of one race with all cars ending up with wings, pans and .50 dia. wheels. After a couple of races and lots of threads discussing the rules I find your statement about not wanting to cause trouble... not really your true purpose or else you would have taken this into PM's with someone in the know.

Shame on you Mill!

JAIRUS AND ALL,

My purpose was to pose a question , and I thought this was an open forum in which to do so. I apologise to Mike Steube for taking it personally, it was not meant in that manner. BRYAN WARMACK AND JOHN ANDERSON did not build cars to circumvent any rules. My God, they were both there at the time and know exactly what was running and Tore even won the race that I alluded to . This forum was supposed to be for discussion, I EVEN PREFACED my remarks to make sure that NO ONE would take offense. I do believe that last night inappropriate remarks were made toward Tore, a man who was sharing his latest creations in a way that someone would show his new children to someone, and Tore did not mean to cause any controversy with what he built, nor did Bryan with his Jail Door chassis. We should all take a deep breath and not take things so personally. You would have thought that I had asked you to declare Morrissey, Larimer and Quintana illegal after 42 years. If we can not reasonably question things what good is this forum ???? I DID NOT POST TO UPSET ANYONE, IT WAS A LEGITIMATE QUESTION. ARE THERE NOTHING BUT SHEEP LEFT OUT IN THE SLOTBLOG ????
WE MISS YOU CHRIS, BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY !

Mill Conroy

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

#34 68Caddy

68Caddy

The Direktor

• 10,546 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

Mill did you say chicken? I love chicken lot of them on the blog. :laugh2: :laugh2:
I know what you meant, but I think we are going through a lot of hard times right now with Chris gone. :blush:
And you know I'm out there as usual.

NestaPosted Image
- Gabriel
Nesta Szabo

I'm racing the best here at BP but Father time is much better then all of us united.
Not a snob in this hobby, after all it will be gone, if we keep on going like we do, and I have nothing to prove so I keep on posting because I have nothing to gain.

#35 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:03 AM

I don't have all of the answers for all of the people that are unhappy with the Jail Door program. So, those of you that have all of the answers and know how to run this program, please step up to the plate and take over. I quit. :) I'll race them but, I'm not running this show any longer. :)

MIKE, you have done a brilliant job, there is no reason to quit. There are no people upset about the way you started this class, and no people pissed off. If I offended you, I did not mean to , for you are a friend and great for D3. I only asked the question because I saw the pictures posted of the 1966 races. We had the pictures to compare to, and many of us were there. Tore made 2 beautiful cars to honor this class, and so did Bryan. It is ok to disagree on one thing or another, we are still all friends.
The rest can blast me all they like, I can take it, but JAIRUS, you do not know me well enough to call me out when I earnestly made my comments, and prefaced them first. The Jail Door Class will be a lot of fun, and I just wondered if someone had a chassis, as I did , from that race, would it not be legal if restored to run again ?

Mill Conroy

#36 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• Member at Peace
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

Did I miss something? What remarks were made to Tore?

Barney Poynor
12/26/51-1/31/22
Requiescat in Pace

#37 The Bugman

The Bugman

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

well im standing along side of Steube and Barn and Keith,when say say let leave well enuff alone for now,and NOT TRY TO PUSHIN THE ENVELOPE,with these new JD's,we all know what Tore & Warmack are capable of building,.to BE CREATIVE (nuthin personal boys) with these new cars,
SHOOT boys we havent even raced these things but 1 time and there's too much controversy (pronounced BS) with these,,just use the rules /ideas posted and live with that,if yer not satisfied,start yer own NEW CLASS ,,retro pro jail door,,,,,,,lol
Oscar Morales
8/16/49-9/18/13
Requiescat in Pace

#38 Dave Larsen

Dave Larsen

Race Leader

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:47 AM

WOW :shok:

First off....

Jarius..... If I read correctly in the threads of "Jail Door Racing" and/or any thread(s) that pertained to the said subject (from now on I well use the initials J.D. so you and I are on the same page) that you were done with this the topic of J.D.'s if I recall correctly, which I do. You said : "there are to many rules, I'm done with this thread" Then why are you here posting? I for one, can not seem to understand why you are here putting in your penny's worth?

While I'm at it Jarius, in your short four/five years of building slot cars (remember here Jarius, I have a very good memory that will take you back to the original "Blog") you were, and are still in it for the money. What's more pathetic is that you post like you know what you are talking about. You are just a plagiarizer that has mislead a lot of people in the world of slotcars for your own personal gaines.

You ask, how do I know this Jarius? Because I have countless emails asking me if what you said/ built is true. I have replied to 90% of the e-mails that pertain to you/about your building /knowledage of slotcars, and said "NO, THATS NOT RIGHT." I, for one am tired of reading your posts of ignorance. Let alone answering e-mails that pertain to your ignorance of slotcars. Just where do get off telling posters to "shut up" "shame on you" "hold your head down" "you want me to beat him up" What's sad here Jarius, is that you couldn't beat your way out of a paper bag. Jarius, you are a VERY TALENTED individual. That can copy anyone's work, it just sadden's myself that you are clueless about slotcars and how they work. I'm very sorry to have posted this (Not really) Maybe you are the one that need's to "SHUT UP".

I'll be darned Mr. Steube :big_boss: if you quit what you started :acute: You made this class of "Real Retro" racing :sun_bespectacled: Besides, with out you. There is really no reason for me to drive 6 hours to race J.D.'s. From the beginning of the J.D. topic(s) I have always felt Mr. Steube :big_boss: that this is "REAL RETRO" racing :victory: Just ask the owner of this blog :wink3:

As always

Regards,

Dave B)
Dave Larsen ..... AKA "The Vitter"  :diablo:..... Big or Small ..... I build them all   :sun_bespectacled:

#39 Mike Steube

Mike Steube

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:17 AM

Oscar said it the closest to the way I feel. We haven't really had a race yet and there is too much BS. Why should I take a bunch of crap for wanting to race old time cars? Well, I'm not going to. I got my butt chewed enough over the D-3 thing. I still get chewed on by unhappy racers. I'm going to do like the rest of you. Sit back and gripe at your programs. That's if any of you start one. :laugh2:

#40 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

Once again, The Vitter has proven to be wise . Mike Steube should be in charge of the Jail Door class, and I was only discussing things, not criticizing. I for one respect Mike, Dave, John, Bryan and the rest and used to believe that we could discuss things without going at each other. And yes, there were things said last night to Tore that were not right, but I will let that drop. John, thank you for those beautiful cars, a tribute to what you are all about. Who cares if they ever race, those two are 4 wheeled Art to me , and are like jewelry to be admired. May all enjoy the Jail Door Class. Now, where is Dokk ?????

Mill Conroy

#41 68Caddy

68Caddy

The Direktor

• 10,546 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:38 AM

Mike
Why do you want to get on their level? They got me to chew on all day long, so if I could say the word, I would but my Master would put
me in jail. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Actually if he wants to do so be my guest, because its not that funny all the time as they think?
D3 stands for FUN makes me think sometimes its more like a battle then fun?
But what do I know? ;)

NestaPosted Image
I guess I'm traumatized from Chris not being here? Mike stand your ground please, after all you got me imitate one of your Jail Door chassis to
build my first imitation can you believe it? That's not that easy for me to do :shok: ?
- Gabriel
Nesta Szabo

#42 Dave Larsen

Dave Larsen

Race Leader

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:05 AM

Mill & Mike :friends: .... Hey.... That sound's like some kind of candy that I use to eat when I was a kid :scratch_one-s_head:

Any whooo..... Let's get back to the topic at hand :good: and that is "J.D." racing! Mike :big_boss: it's your brainchild :sun_bespectacled: you have made the rules, refined them to make them easy for anyone to understand. I see no propblem at all with what you have started :wink3: It's "Real Old School" racing from 1966.... Or was it 1967 :scratch_one-s_head: heck, I forget :to_become_senile: makes no never mind to me. you are always going to get crap from racers. Be honest here Mike :big_boss: in your years of PRO RACING :sun_bespectacled: did you not once disagree with something that pertained to the race/rules at hand that pertained to the race that you were participating in :wink3:

It hasn't changed, there is always going to be the "crap" that goes along with anything in life..... And, yes to the non-believers, that includes slotcar racing :yahoo: that's just how it is. It will always be that way. Period!! Mike, you have started something here in "J.D." racing :wink2: that is a era of slot car racing that you enjoyed very much. This vision has came from your heart :victory: So, follow your heart young man, it will lead you and others down the track to true bliss :sun_bespectacled:

As Jeff Easterly said "Build it.....They will come"

As always

Regards,

A Follower :wink2:
Dave Larsen ..... AKA "The Vitter"  :diablo:..... Big or Small ..... I build them all   :sun_bespectacled:

#43 The Bugman

The Bugman

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

dave & nesta,i applaud you both ,,,for your feelings on this JD subject,,,,,ive stated my opinion,and again I STAND WITH STEUBE,BARNEY,KEITH,EASTERLY AND YOU 2 ALSO,,,on how these JD's should be built,and heck if nothing else,a bunch of us guys will have A GREAT TIME,playing with our toy cars,from the 66' era,,
Mill youre one of my best racing buds,but go with whats on the table pronounced (written rules,,so far),and lets have fun with whats going on AT THIS TIME,,,
OK GUYS JUST MY HONEST OPINION,,,,,,,
Da Bugster
Oscar Morales
8/16/49-9/18/13
Requiescat in Pace

#44 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

Gentlemen,
Rick was kind enough to post the articles from R & C in this thread. Mike Steube revived a similar (but not IDENTICAL) new series for D3 racers. As all D3 races, this is an invitational series. Either you accept the rules as wisely established by Mike so as to limit technology or as he clearly says, you organize your own series.
Now please consider that at this time, your most important concern should be to have a place to race. Without it, all points are moot.

Philippe de Lespinay

#45 Mike Steube

Mike Steube

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

Mill, Tore built your cars with a piano wire U brace outside of the motor bracket. This U brace created simi-type half rails. The rules clearly state the piano wire U brace is to be located inside the motor bracket. I choose this placement of the U brace to prevent the creation of 1/2 rails. When I pointed out the incorrect location of the U brace all of a sudden I'm picking on Tore. The last thing I said to Tore was not to worry about it. Run the cars. After the race in May I'll know more about the direction the instuctions for this class should go. Tore told me he was ok with that, he thanked me. I asked him to put the U brace inside the motor bracket on the remaining cars he's building, he agreed. Then, Tore, Zipper, and I started telling Starrett about a ski trip Zipper took us on back in the 60's. We were laughing and having a good time. I then left the shop and went home. Your cars were already ok to race in the Jail House Rock race. I didn't do anything wrong. Yes, the instructions have problems. The bracket brace problem that started this out cry that the rules are unclear and need to be fixed really doesn't apply to this brace being incorrectly positioned. So folks, there you have it.

#46 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• Member at Peace
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

Thanks, NOW can we just race or little tilting piles and have FUN SUNDAY? I want ta giggle like a little girl again! :laugh2:

LEAVE THE FRACK'IN RULES WHERE THEY ARE FOR N :angry: W AND LATER WE CAN GET THE USRA TO STEP IN AND SCREW THEM UP THE RIGHT WAY!

LETS JUST HAVE S ;) ME FUN FIRST!

LOVE YA ALL BUT LETS STOP SHOOTING OURSELVES IN THE F :) :) T!

Barney Poynor
12/26/51-1/31/22
Requiescat in Pace

#47 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

This morning, Mike Steube and I discussed the apparent contradiction between the "mission statement", and the actual rules, and we are going to rephrase the "mission statement" to reflect this. In other words, the rules will remain, the mission statement will change slightly.
Why? We will soon explain.

Philippe de Lespinay

Electric Dreams Online Shop