• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Went to S&S raceway once when I was a teen. All I remember was the guys were trying to light each other on fire with a lighter, LOL.
  • miko likes this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#27 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

Speed & Sport was in its heyday back then, lots of agony in the bank when the Kirkwood comms would do a "quick snap" maneuver, and come to a screeching halt.

Speaking of Lee Gilbert, comms, and King track banks, I went to a race of Lee's in about 1993.

After sitting on the pole after the first round, and cutting Lee by a bit, I good naturally asked him if he had anything for the bye.

He smiled and said, "Maybe".

I was pitting at the end of the straight, so when he was up, I got up and watched right before the start of the bank.

He came down the straight on his first lap and blew.

I jumped back just as it happened, and everyone started laughing like I was goofing around.

I snapped back, "Lee's car shot me in the chest."

I looked down and saw a piece of copper.

I reached down for it but quickly let go as it was still hot and had melted, a bit, into the carpet.

I then walked over to Lee's car, which instead of locking up, freewheeled 3/4s of the way through the bank.

I turned the car over and calmly announced "Lee, your comm is gone."

He said something acknowledging that, of course, it blew.

I replied "No... gone like it's not there. Where it was, all you see is the arm shaft". LOL.

• Jesse Gonzales likes this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#28 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

Went to S&S raceway once when I was a teen. All I remember was the guys were trying to light each other on fire with a lighter, LOL.

S&S, without doubt, had its cast of characters. If any of you know Bill Marquette (Miko does), now that guy was a character.

Great place, the 'ol Speed and Sport.

• Jesse Gonzales likes this
Tom Eatherly

#29 miko

miko

X Speed & Sport Racer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:24 AM

Bill Marquette... yes quite the character! I couldn’t imagine Speed & Sport being the same without him. Does he still race with you guys?
Marinko Mueller

#30 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:32 PM

Marinko, I don't believe so. He used to run, I think on Sunday's with the hardbody crew. But, haven't heard much about Bill in some time. Fun guy to be around. Did you ever go for a ride with him in his Chevy Biscayne? Oh, brother!

• miko likes this
Tom Eatherly

#31 miko

miko

X Speed & Sport Racer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

Yes, and I'm still here!!
Marinko Mueller

#32 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

Quite the white knuckler, eh? Ohh-wee!

Tom Eatherly

#33 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

We in Arizona had our own "Bill." His name was Bill Rogers, he was one of the Tucson racers, a great guy and good friend. Many a time I wondered if or when we were going to lose control of his car and become a statistic. In recent conversations with Neil Kuhns it seems we both have "I nearly died there 50 years ago" thoughts when driving in certain locations in AZ and one in CA.

Bill was a fantastic slot car racer who got the most out of his cars. Real cars were his passion though, his Z28 was known and feared at the midnight drags and on Speedway. He unfortunately discovered a very effective way to lose weight, effective but not recommended, cancer. I sold my Simco zapper, a car, and controller to him many years ago before his passing. Junior Carleton teased me for selling him "killer stuff" after he passed.

Mike Low, I do recall some of the guys squirting lighter fluid on each other. I took one look at them and Roger Lustig, another AZ racer, said to me, "You don't suffer fools well, do you?" Still don't.

Jesse Gonzales
  • Fergy likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop