• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

Does any company make an MG similar to the old Monogram kit, either in 1/32nd or 1/24th? I've been looking but found nothing.
Gary Stelter

My life fades, the vison dims. All that remains are memories... from The Road Warrior

#2 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:51 AM

I think Lindberd used to make a static kit in 1/32 very much like the Monogram kit. VIP made a lovely slot version with a full interior and steering front end, chrome grill and bumpers. We used to race these against the other VIP Austin-Healeys .
Strombecker made a 1/24 MG-A Twin-Cam model that was battery powered, and was supposed to be convertible to slot racing. I have been working on one of these, bought the nylon steering gear (axles, tie rod, king pins,guide pin shoe ect.) but despite the fact they were made by Strombecker they don't seem to fit properly.

#3 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hi

In the day, 59 or so, I did several of the Strombecker car converstions to first rail and then slot. I don't remember seeing the MG however. I did convert about 61, the Revell Healy kit.

Anyway, if the nylon steering parts are the ones I am rmembering,they were designed for the 1/30 scale stuff, not the 1/24s.

MGA, there was a japanese company whose name escapes me that DID make relatively expensive kits of street sports cars. TR3s and such. I bought a few and I never did anything with them. But I THINK they mad an MGA.

Back in the 60s our 1/32 club got excited by a proposal in one of the magazines about racing SCCA production class cars. Called the class "A-Production"; these were mostly monograme and revell stuff, cobras, GTOs and the like. SOME of the group were actually doing illegal street racing versions of this(we had all done SCCA until they discovered we were underage and got tossed!). So, we modeled the TR3s, spridgets and the like. The rules were simple, scale bodies, skinny tires and so on.

This class in the club continued on until the membership decided to ban scratchbuilding about 10 years ago. Still, it was a very fun and challenging class to do such tiny 1/32s that were driveable without magnets.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,296 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

Strombecker 1/23 scale MGA:

Posted Image

Philippe de Lespinay

#5 alan

alan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

1/32 scale resin kits
http://www.traffic-m...h32-bmc1600.htm
Alan Shawe

#6 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

1/32 scale resin kits
http://www.traffic-m...h32-bmc1600.htm

Thank you!
PdL where can I but the Strombecker car? I couldn't find it in a search on the net.
Alan -Thanks for that link. That might be the way to go for the easiest route. I just wonder if the Strombecker car is available also.
Thanks Professor! These ARE fun little cars to mess with. Not too complicated and Sunbeam, MGB and Jaguar bodies can still be had cheap. Couldn't find an MGA, though. :scratch_one-s_head:
Gary Stelter

My life fades, the vison dims. All that remains are memories... from The Road Warrior

#7 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,296 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

Gary, you need to go to E-Pay and check on plastic kits for sale, they come up time to time. :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#8 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

I did and zero, zip, nada. :( I thought sure some enterprising company like Scalex or Mongram would do a remake but no luck. I think I'll go for the one in Alan's link.
Gary Stelter

#9 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:04 PM

Hi

In the day, 59 or so, I did several of the Strombecker car converstions to first rail and then slot. I don't remember seeing the MG however. I did convert about 61, the Revell Healy kit.

Anyway, if the nylon steering parts are the ones I am rmembering,they were designed for the 1/30 scale stuff, not the 1/24s.

MGA, there was a japanese company whose name escapes me that DID make relatively expensive kits of street sports cars. TR3s and such. I bought a few and I never did anything with them. But I THINK they mad an MGA.

Back in the 60s our 1/32 club got excited by a proposal in one of the magazines about racing SCCA production class cars. Called the class "A-Production"; these were mostly monograme and revell stuff, cobras, GTOs and the like. SOME of the group were actually doing illegal street racing versions of this(we had all done SCCA until they discovered we were underage and got tossed!). So, we modeled the TR3s, spridgets and the like. The rules were simple, scale bodies, skinny tires and so on.

This class in the club continued on until the membership decided to ban scratchbuilding about 10 years ago. Still, it was a very fun and challenging class to do such tiny 1/32s that were driveable without magnets.

Fate

Strombecker 1/23 scale MGA:

Posted Image

I had a good look at the Strombecker package which contained the Front End & Pickup Stock # 9088 and on the back of the package , other accessories are listed, one of which is the" Stock # 9089 Ackerman Type Front End & Pickup to Convert 1/24 Scale Strombecker Cars to Road Racing" I may have gotten the wrong item !
As for TSRs quote of a 1/23 scale MGA( Strombecker) I didn't know if this was a typo or a joke but this is probably true, since the car is huge, despite the kit being clearly marked 1/24 scale on the box top. Wheelbase is 4 3/8 " on the kit.

#10 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

Actually, in my original post, I said either 1/32nd OR 1/24th so that may be why, or could it actually BE 1/23rd scale? :shok: I always liked the old Monogram MGA in 1/32nd scale but I could run either scale. I tried that company in England that ALAN gave me a link for, but I can't find a way to buy from them. I think they only take phone orders because I couldn't find anything else. I guess Ebay IS my only alternative.
Gary Stelter

#11 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi

Philippe, thanks for the photo. Never saw the car in the day! In the photo it looks "wrong", a little flat. Is that the photo or the car?!

I THINK I have some of the 1/32 nylon steering bits in a box somewhere. But the 1/24s I have, if memory serves, were hard plastic. I need to go look. One mystery for me, is that I have a gymbol shoe from early scaley that I don't remember using or buying. I may have bought the body as a backup to my original. Dunno'

The rail shoe are lost, I expect.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#12 alan

alan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

there site is a touch confusing but here is a link to there order /email page

http://www.traffic-m...m/emeaeiele.htm
and there email is on that page .
Alan Shawe

#13 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

Thank you Alan!! :D
Gary Stelter

#14 John Withers

John Withers

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

Here is a picture of the 1/32 scale MGA from Lindberg.
I was going to convert these to slot cars but decided against it.
They are not one piece bodies and would have required alot of cutting to make it work out right.
Sold them off on ebay a few months back. They were bid up to around $30.00
LINDBERG_MGA.JPG

#15 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:38 PM

:yahoo: Well shoot a hole in the wall, Ma! I just scored a Lindberg on Ebay, just like the Boss said. :big_boss: It won't be an easy convert, but since I have enough parts here already I won't have to send to the U.K. for one. Not that there's anything wrong with that! :good: I still like that one Alan posted. I'll have to see how my feeble attempt works out.
Gary Stelter

#16 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

Here is the Strombecker kit ebay # 110398798107. As you can see they don't go cheap.

Joe Lupo

#17 Rick G

Rick G

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

I am using a Lingdburgh kit too. Mine in on a Monogram, Grand Sport chassis. The Ninco Classis wires look pretty good on there. Ortmann's keep the back end in line.

Posted Image
Rick Gondeck

#18 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

That looks great! Where do you get the wire wheels?
Gary Stelter

#19 alan

alan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:16 AM

thee ninco classic or pink car ,if ur using a modern chassis or slot it size axels u might want to try these,

http://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/
pcs wheels
Alan Shawe

#20 Ricky Rich

Ricky Rich

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Yes, I used the Lindberg kit - very, very basic, but I detailed it up & mounted it on an MRRC Cobra chassis.

Posted Image

Full picture build log at My Builds, MGA 1600 album.

Cheers

RICK

#21 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

Wow, nice detail! I hope mine comes out half as nice..... :)
Gary Stelter

Electric Dreams Online Shop