11 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

Thanks to all the SERRA™ racers who returned their Racer Questionnaires. Your input has been invaluable in tweaking our program for the forthcoming 2009-10 SERRA™ nine race season.

Considering what changes to implement is always an agonizing process. There are so many disparate elements to be balanced and weighed and they're almost all interrelated. Jay and I have debated amongst ourselves and we've both spoken to many SERRA™ racers. And there's the questionnaire data to mix in. If anyone covets this easy, desirable job, please forward us your resume, and don't bother including salary requirements... LOL!!!

The two classes per event format will continue, alternating the SERRA™ Tier 2 (F1 and Stock Car) classes and running the Can-Am class at every race.

A formal one-hour lunch break between classes will be added to the program schedule.

Tech for the Tier 2 class will continue to open at 10:00 AM at each event. The target timeframe for SERRA™ events is being lowered to 6-8 hours.

Heat times for Tier 2 classes will revert to three (3) minutes, BUT heat times for Can-Am will remain at four (4) minutes.

All classes will utilize the multiple main, round-robin format, with a maximum of 13 racers in a single main.

Qualifying will only be held for the Can-Am class, with results determining lane choice.

The main operational change this year will be the creation of the SERRA™ Championships. The scenario is a little complicated, but we believe it will add a LOT of interest to the SERRA™ program.

Series Points, accumulated at the season's first eight events, will determine six racers who will be seeded into the Championship Race held at the ninth race of the season. Each Class Championship Race will determine the 2009-10 SERRA™ Class Champion.

Series Points at each Series Race will be at awarded as follows:

1st = 8 points
2nd = 7
3rd = 6
4th = 5
5th = 4
6th = 3
7th = 2
8th (and all lower finishers) = 1

TQ in Can-Am qualifying will be awarded 1 point at each Series Race.

A Can-Am racer will be able to drop his three (3) worst finishes (i.e. three of eight). Stock Car and F1 racers will be allowed a single drop of finishing points (i.e. one of four).

At the ninth race, in addition to the SERRA™ Class Championship races, a round-robin Championship Consi consolation race will be held for racers that did not seed into the Championship Race. The top two finishers in each Class Consi will advance to the Class Championship Race, with this restriction: only finishers who have accumulated at least one (1) Series Point in the class during the season are eligible to advance.

After the Consi, the seeded and advancing racers' rankings will convert to Championship Points in this fashion:

1st seed = 100 points
2nd seed = 98
3rd seed = 96
4th seed = 94
5th seed = 92
6th seed = 91
7th advancing = 90
8th advancing = 90

Championship Points for the Championship Race will be awarded as follows:

1st = 16 points
2nd = 14
3rd = 12
4th = 10
5th = 8
6th = 6
7th = 4
8th = 2

The SERRA™ 2009-10 Series Class Champions will be determined by the total number of Championship Points accumulated in each class. If there is a tie in Championship Points the racer with the most Series Points will be advanced to the higher finishing position.

Using the crazy numbers above, the last place starter has a mathematical chance of winning a Class Championship. How do I know? Jay says he "worked it out." And I believe him. Hope it wasn't too painful... LOL!!!

Now, about motors. Remember that agony I mentioned above? Tough, tough call. No real need to list the pros and cons again, is there?

For now, we are going to stick with the FK motor subset, to include the Slick 7 Mini Brute, for the 2009-10 season. At season's end, the motor issue will be re-examined and the adoption of the full IRRA™ motor set will be re-considered.

I think that's it. I'll be revising the standard SERRA™ raceday schedule, as listed in each SERRA™ event in the Slotblog calendar, and will post it and the Points Championship scheme in separate pinned threads for easy future reference.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

Well, twelve hours after I started this thread, there's not been a single comment...

I figured at least one racer would rip me and Jay new ones for the changes we're announcing, simply based on the fact that you can't please everyone. Or perhaps, someone would have commented on the SERRA™ Class Championship scheme being implemented, as the desire for a point series was clear from the Questionnaire.

Wonder if racers are too stunned to comment or just too angry? :blink: LOL!!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:12 AM

It seems well thought out and is clear.

I printed it out and put it in my SERRA travel folder. :D
Along with my time zone map and Pilot Chart :laugh2:

Paul Wolcott

#4 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,076 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

The two classes per event format will continue, alternating the Tier 2 F1 and Stock Car classes and running Can-Am class at every race.

Just doing this so you don't feel un-loved Cheater. I always thought F1 was a Tier 1 class. :blink:

Are you still considering running an F1 race in Cleveland for the fun of it? I talked to Bart and he's all for it.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#5 Marty Stanley

Marty Stanley

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

Greg,

Hey man, if you really are distressed because you have NOT been ripped and are disappointed because of this, I can be of help. I mean that is what friends are for!

However I'm with Pablo on this. I think y'all did a fine job taking the input from the respondants, compiling that input and coming up with what the majority wanted in the first place.

About the only negative I can come up with, or perhaps we should just call it a point of clarification would be:

The two classes per event format will continue, alternating the Tier 2 F1 and Stock Car classes and running Can-Am class at every race.

That language would sound like F1 and Stock Car are now considered both as Tier 2 competition. The last time I looked (about 10 seconds ago) the IRRA Rules site still lists Formula 1 as a Tier 1 class.

Do you feel better now?

Obviously the racers and people living in the southeast are a more friendly and forgiving bunch then those living in other areas that will NOT be disclosed at this time. That is except for during college football season! Go Gators!

Posted Image

I personally would take it as a job well done. Both you and Jay have done what you said you would and we're going to race!

Now if you would just fill the "xxxx" in with some dates we could all mark our calendars!

Have a great day!
Marty Stanley
1/24/48-2/18/16
Requiescat in Pace

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:58 AM

Thanks, Marty.

The SERRA 2009-10 event schedule has been posted since early July.

SERRA 2009-10 Race Schedule through May, 2010

The 2009-10 SERRA races are also listed in the Slotblog calendar.

Gregory Wells

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

Just doing this so you don't feel un-loved Cheater. I always thought F1 was a Tier 1 class.

Well, for IRRA that is correct. We're using Tier 2 in a SERRA sense, just to make it easier to refer to F1 and Stock Car.

Are you still considering running an F1 race in Cleveland for the fun of it? I talked to Bart and he's all for it.

As far as I am concerned, it's a done deal. We'll run a non-points F1 race after the Can-Am class in Cleveland. I'll add this to the calendar entry in a bit.

Gregory Wells

#8 Marty Stanley

Marty Stanley

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:47 AM

Greg,

I was referring to the "pinned" thread you have.

Which would be this one.

Now that you're over 55, memory loss can affect the things you do. I know this from experience.

Pappy,

I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one that did not fully understand the "Tier 2" comment.
Marty Stanley
1/24/48-2/18/16
Requiescat in Pace

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Okay, I've made some changes to the wording to the titles and text of a couple of posts to make them less confusing. Please let me know if I was successful.

Gregory Wells

#10 Marty Stanley

Marty Stanley

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

Greg,

Thank you!

It reads MUCH better now.
Marty Stanley
1/24/48-2/18/16
Requiescat in Pace

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

Just wanted to point out that I posted the SERRA™ event schedule through November, 2010, today, as well as added the events through that date to the Slotblog calendar.

I ain't claiming nothing, but when's the last time a slot car series published its schedule fifteen months in advance? I can't think of one...

:rolleyes:

Gregory Wells

#12 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

It's mucho appreciated. :D

Paul Wolcott

Electric Dreams Online Shop