• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

I won a small pile of maybe very early '70s slot car stuff. It's from NJ and I'm a SoCal boy (well... old man) living in NorCal. I'm finding the stuff kind of interesting once you scrap the crud off to see what's underneath. For example-a-mundo:

Posted Image

YIKES!

Posted Image

Put that thing out of its misery!... No, no, let's crack it open instead. Where's my hazmat suit?

Posted Image

DOUBLE YIKES! OK, hose off the dirt with solvent and hit all the rust with a wire brush:

Posted Image

Looks like an early Champion CEE can, Champion Blue Dot magnets, and the arm looks like a Champion blank if the Good Dokktor's school'n has rubbed off on me :unsure: .

The endbell is an early small bearing Mura kind of hacked down to fit the can. It does have vents cut under the brush plates and a goop shield soldered on:

Posted Image

The arm is clockwise timed which kind of surprised me and the whole comm welding and tying is unusual to this left coast boy... I mean old man :blink: :

Posted Image

The arm looks handwound with some healthy-sized wire:

Posted Image

So I think I have the motor in a state that it won't deteriorate further. I've stored it like so:

Posted Image

The magnets are protected in a foam-lined plastic motor box from Proformance Racing, the arm is in a tube from Alpha, and everything else is in cheapo zip lock bags from China :shok: .

Next...

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:08 AM

Rick,

Could be a Ben Krumm armature, S24, wound on Champion blanks with the gray coating (.007" lam). He did his comm wiring that way and that would be just about the timeframe...

Someone opened the holes on the Champion can, and the assembly with no shunts is a bit amateurish, but there is a brass goop shield so this motor was in an open-class car at one time and with the Blue Dots, must have been pretty fast.

Thing is, it could only have driven the gear on the right side of the car according to the position of the goop shield on the motor and of the timing of the arm... meaning that it was fitted in a transitional chassis when racers went from endbell-side drive to can drive, and the motor was made as a mirror image to what the guys were doing, probably to use an existing chassis...

That rust will clean up with Naval Jelly and a good wash in solvent with a wire brush. The endbell will clean like new. :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#3 Slotgeezer

Slotgeezer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:23 AM

Due to Rick's excellent photographic skils ( Yes, please... take a bow, Rick... :thank_you2: ) I am forced to ask this question...

HEY! DOKK! :clapping:

I see at least two, maybe three comm-cuts on this arm...

Whadda YOU see???? <_<

Great photos, Rick... :ok: ... Hope to see it restored...

Take care...

:good:

Jeff Easterly - Capt., Team Wheezer...
Asst. Mechanic, Team Zombie...
Power is coming on... NOW!!!

#4 68Caddy

68Caddy

The Direktor

• 10,546 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

I guess I need to learn about motors? Jeff's comment "maybe three comm-cuts on this arm..."and then Philippe's comments on the "Thing is, it could only have driven the gear on the right side of the car according to the position of the goop shield on the motor and of the timing of the arm..." :shok:

Have to say it's Greek to me but I need to sit down with a gearhead to teach me about this or explain what's going on. ;)

Nesta
- Gabriel
Nesta Szabo

In this bright future you can't forget your past.
BMW (Bob Marley and the Wailers)

United we stand and divided we fall, the Legends are complete.
I'm racing the best here at BP but Father time is much better then all of us united.
Not a snob in this hobby, after all it will be gone, if we keep on going like we do, and I have nothing to prove so I keep on posting because I have nothing to gain.
It's our duty to remember the past so we can have a future.

Pistol Pete you will always be in my memory.

#5 Darkron9

Darkron9

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:46 AM

I see the three comm cuts, too. The first one was probably to do the initial comm truing. Common practice was to run the motor around something like a King track for a few laps with the brake disconnected just to get the epoxy hot and to let the arm go "out of balance". After a few initial laps, the motor would be gently run with the brakes reconnected until it could be heard to slow down a little. Doing this would allow the arm to get hot from the "inside out" and really cook the epoxy. Then the motor would be disassembled and the arm would be sent to a balancing service, like Camen Balancing. Gil Gundersen taught me to do this to all of my new arms.

The motor might have been run in a few heats and sent in for truing and balancing two times during its career. Since the tabs aren't showing, the comm on this arm might be able to take another cut. Interesting that on two of the poles, the balance holes are on the center line, but on the third, the holes are staggered.
"What happened?"
"He was leaning to the left so I gave him a right..."

-Tim Thomerson from the movie "War Wolves"

Ron Kiyomura - Otoko wa tsurai yo

#6 Slotgeezer

Slotgeezer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:21 AM

... Interesting that on two of the poles, the balance holes are on the center line, but on the third, the holes are staggered.

Thanks, Ron...
Gunner is one smart cookie... and I remember that EVERY armature that I sent-out to true-up and have re-balanced ALWAYS came back faster... the inside-out heating of the armature epoxy certainly makes sense...

Great observation as to the location of the drill balance marks... I remember seeing the flat-bottom drill balance marks on Mura D-can armatures, like all the "Cukras Signature" pink-can D-can motors I drove during that era, and never gave it a second thought... I guess I expected the pros at Mura to know where and how-much armature material needed to be removed to create an in-balance condition... With the design of the blanks they use today, with the web and crowns so thin, I doubt they could employ this type of balancing on newly-wound production arms...

I still think it's a really cool motor... I have one of those Champion C-cans, and it's been opened-up, but not as much as this one... I've heard them refered to as "Trinity cans" too, but I've never had anyone confirm that designation...

Thanks, Ron... Great to get the ol' noodle thinking, even if only for a moment! LOL! :laugh2:

:unsure:

• Jesse Gonzales likes this

#7 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

Thanks, everyone.

That break-in and rebalance procedure was very interesting, Ron.

Dokk, in the owner’s defense, the motor did have shunt wires but like the rest of the assembly, it wasn't done to a very high standard. The endbell wasn't lathe turned to fit the can but rather just hacked up. The worst thing is the random placement of the end bell mounting screw holes in the can. Bummer.

This next motor's setup is nicer with a lathe-turned endbell and properly located mounting holes. It is also neatly notched for half rail clearance:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Blue Dot magnets again and a nice setup:

Posted Image

But then we have the armature. It looks to be another Ben Krumm on the same Champion blank perhaps?

Posted Image

The bummer is it has a very bad case of "Valley of the Comm". :shok: :

Posted Image

Perhaps swapping arms with the previous motor to rebuild this motor would be the way to go. For know everything stays in its own package.

Rick Thigpen

#8 Slotgeezer

Slotgeezer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

The second motor is nice, Rick... Cleaned-up nicely...

I always try to use the older, full-length magnets if I'm setting-up a C-can with a long-stack armature ( Gp 15, Gp 20, or vintage open arm)... The added interaction between the extended magnet face and the stack length seems to provide the one thing that a slot racing motor always needs... BRAKES! :shok: ... LOL! :laugh2:

Have you measured the "trench" on that comm yet? ... You might be surprised and find it's only a few thousandths deep, thereby allowing you to turn it back true... As lovely as that arm is, it would certainly be worth the effort...

Like you, I'm a West Coast guy, so I'd never known about Mr. Krumm ... Wish I had, looking at his lovely work, eh? :wub:

Take care, Rick... Catch you later...

;)

#9 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

Right, Jeff, I'll cut the comm before I jump to any conclusions. I'll just get these motors cleaned up enough to see what they are and hopefully stop the corrosion process.

Here's an interesting one. It's a Champion 16D can with the big bronze bearing but before the side vents were added:

Posted Image

That's a late generation Mura 16D end bell with, unfortunately, a broken bearing housing:

Posted Image

Cracked open it has Champion Blue Dot magnets with their two-piece magnet shims...

Posted Image

... and a lovely Thorp single 24 clockwise timed arm:

Posted Image

Here's the arm cleaned up a bit. It looks nice and I haven't even cut the comm yet :wub: :

Posted Image

And all packaged up:

Posted Image

Next...

Rick Thigpen

#10 Slotgeezer

Slotgeezer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

Yee-haw!!!! :shok:

A S-24 Thorp!... Great find!

If you grew up down here in SoCal, Rick, you remember when John wound armatures in almost every flavor... His double 29s were legendary... and I suspect they tested the Mura "no-melt" claim MORE than ONCE, eh?? LOL! :laugh2:

Great old Thorp arm, with the phenolic retaining shims... I have one of those set-ups to send to John, for a future project someone might run... I don't need it, and someone from the Right Coast certainly would enjoy running it... I run two-hole Green - MPP cans... ;) ..

As you say.... ONWARD! :)

;)

#11 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

Here's a beauty in the rough... well maybe not. :laugh2: :

Posted Image

This looks like it could be an older endbell drive chassis for a 16D that's had a B-motor set on top of the frame rails. :blink: :

Posted Image

Not being overly impressed, here's what I pulled off of this one:

Posted Image

The can was all chopped up and the endbell, too. I saved the end bell hardware and this:

Posted Image

The drop arm is the later style for a Jet flag. The magnets are the big honkin' Super Bs and the arm...

Posted Image

It could be a late style clockwise-timed Thorp?

Posted Image

It's very nice. It just needs its comm cut.

Next...

Rick Thigpen

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

Rick,

The one above looks like a stock Mura arm to me, while the arm in second motor you showed with the C-can looks indeed like a Krumm.

The chassis and motors are amateur built but make for good parts...

:)

Philippe de Lespinay

#13 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:01 PM

Hi Philippe,

Yes a Mura is most likely but hey, I'm trying to recoup my investment here :laugh2: . Seriously, what caught my eye were the thicker epoxy coating, almost neat windings, and clockwise timing. I know Mura did CW timed arms but they seem less common. Here is the arm I use for comparison:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They look pretty close so I happily substituted my reality and hoped it is a Thorp. Well, that was before I took the arm out of the package to take these pictures. I only have a couple of these later Thorp arms without the phenolic retaining shims and they are both engraved... crud:

Posted Image

Unless others have Thorps like this without the engraving my investment has slipped a bit :D . This did give me the chance to clean that corrosion off this Thorp beauty. Otherwise it would just continue to get worse.

Thank you for you input, Philippe. I have a chassis I hope you will look at soon :) .

Rick Thigpen

#14 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

Rick, my pleasure! This is what we live for. And please keep them coming!
I will post more Emott chassis pics today as promised.
Happy Thanksgiving all! :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#15 Slotgeezer

Slotgeezer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

Hey, Rick...

My recollection of Thorp arms stems from the 1968-69 era, when I ran his double-29 winds... Those armatures then didn't have the phenolic retainers, a feature that came along later, along with the wind marking and the timing marking... I remember John winding armatures for both CW and CCW timing, to appeal to those who had built chassis for Mura or Lenz motors... Bill Sr. wound arms for both directions, too, as my Steube 20 ran in my Lenz-drive Chris Burlew chassis... Putting a Thorp arm in a 16BB can with Mura X88 magnets, and using a Mura "no-melt" endbell with Mabuchi brushes and Tradeship motor springs was a popular set-up, when we were still racing inline Can-Am cars...

Good-looking arm... I see the infamous "green goop" insulation, which tends to make me believe it was produced in the '70-'71 period... The Mura blanks with the "green goop" insulation were the most poular blank out here on the Left Coast, with Checkpoint, Hetchler, Zimmerman, Thorp, Mura, and Lenz using them during that time...

Great series of photos, bringing back some great memories! Take care!

;)

#16 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

Here's another Champion CEE can in a partial chassis. The chassis looks pre-CEE can to me with the large motor angle and big bend on the non drive side half rail:

Posted Image

It's pretty nicely made but again no floppy pans. It makes me wonder if the center section, perhaps without even the drop arm, is the only original part:

Posted Image

It's got a big honk'n 48T Faas 64p spur gear that's in great shape. Those gears were made so 45t through 48t were all the same .750" diameter... cool:

Posted Image

Here's the motor:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cleaned up it reveals a can that's nicely drilled and countersunk for endbell screws and a creative clearance cut for the rear axle. The endbell is an Associated Mini Max lathe-turned to fit the can, more Blue Dot magnets, that nice Faas gear and perhaps...

Posted Image

... another Ben Krumm arm:

Posted Image

Next...

Rick Thigpen

#17 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

Yes, very likely... :)

Keep digging this up!

Philippe de Lespinay

#18 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

My son is working today and won't be here for Thanksgiving dinner until late so I may as well keep playing ;) .

Next is a little-used Mura B Production motor, first generation I believe:

Posted Image

It's had a soldering iron melt into the end bell and the can is all scratched up. I think it will be a good candidate for a complete NOS type restoration. Let's crack her open:

Posted Image

All the parts are ready to go with new brushes and endbell. The cans stripped and ready for a coat of gloss black paint and to have the Mura sticker applied. The armature looks like new. It's a single wind of pretty big wire and meters .2 ohms:

Posted Image

Next...

Rick Thigpen

#19 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

Here's a Phase III chassis for a 16D with a Mura B-motor stuffed in it:

Posted Image

I do see a hint of green inside that motor:

Posted Image

Man, another chopped up endbell...

Posted Image

... and can:

Posted Image

Inside we have a bubble gum arm and some Super-B magnets at least:

Posted Image

Here's what I salvaged:

Posted Image

What's engraved on the arm :blink: :

Posted Image

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Posted Image

Can anyone help ID this engraving?

Rick Thigpen

#20 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

Could it have been engraved by Mura for Mike "Tango", who sold these under the Nutley brand?
Only someone like Tony P or Bob Emott can tell for sure. :)

This is like finding a Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton in the La Brea tar pits! :laugh2:
  • tonyp likes this

Philippe de Lespinay

#21 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

Could it have been engraved by Mura for Mike "Tango", who sold these under the Nutley brand?
Only someone like Tony P or Bob Emott can tell for sure. :)

I hope they can help...

This is like finding a Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton in the La Brea tar pits! :laugh2:

That's for sure what cleaning this stuff is like.
:laugh2: :D

Rick Thigpen

#22 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

I bumped this up in the hopes someone can help ID this engraving?

TonyP, are you out there :unsure: ?

Posted Image

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Posted Image

Rick Thigpen

#23 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

It sure reads "Tango" to me, Rick.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#24 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:50 PM

Rick,

Did you get all these "jewels" in the same eBay lot? It's quite a haul if you did. :)
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#25 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

Thanks, Greg, Tango it is. Please keep your reading glasses handy as I have another one coming up :blink: :) .

Hi Bill, Yes, it all is coming from this same eBay lot:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I better get going on this stuff. I want to have it cleaned and sorted so I can get back to the Emott B-motor build and then some "lost causes" :) .

Here are some Champion 3/4" front wheels for 3/32" axles complete with a 3/32" Arcolite axle. I haven't seen these things before, only in 1/8":

Posted Image

And all spiffed up:

Posted Image

Here's a before...

Posted Image

... and after, on some Riggen 3/4" X 1/8" axle fronts:

Posted Image

What's next :unsure: . Surprise! Another B-motor :shok: :laugh2: :

Posted Image

What's with the Super B magnets with the yellow dots? And, I want that Mura Sticker:

Posted Image

This stuff works great to lift the sticker:

Posted Image

This one has usable components...

Posted Image

... including a nice Mura open arm:

Posted Image

Next...

Rick Thigpen