• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

It looks to have a fiber washer insulating the "spring post" from electric current too? Like so ?

Rick, I have never seen such a washer on all the motors I used and still have from Bill... I don't see anything wrong with it of course as it could have been use to center the spring, but no need for insulation of course. :)

Regarding the lead wires, the modern orange stuff is too thick but there is so far nothing I found to replace those original Riggen lead wires, that I used the whole time I was racing as Al Riggen had given me a box of them. I also gave some to lle Gilbert and he built his cars with them for quite a while. 256 strands of the finest American copper... :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#77 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,830 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:43 PM

Rick, I have never seen such a washer on all the motors I used and still have from Bill... I don't see anything wrong with it of course as it could have been use to center the spring, but no need for insulation of course. :)

Thanks. I just wondered because I've seen them on period Pooch and Hi-Pro motors.

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#78 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

I would guess that this would have been used in the late 1970's. The Pooch/Camen motors we have up to 1975 do not have these washers, but it makes good sense to use some as they would allow the spring to move freely and be properly lined up.

Jairus did a heck of a good job on that build, because these cars were a b*tch to build. Jairus had previously built two similar chassis for two of my friends abroad who wanted a replica of such cars for their collection, but he has done a lot of progress since.

Philippe de Lespinay

#79 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,330 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

I would guess that this would have been used in the late 1970's. The Pooch/Camen motors we have up to 1975 do not have these washers, but it makes good sense to use some as they would allow the spring to move freely and be properly lined up.

I have several early 70s (1972-73) race motors from Joel & Walt. All have the phenolic washers. I'll have to dig out my Russ Boyington motor from the same period to see if he used them too. :)
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#80 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for checking this out. I know Joel Montague used the fiber washers on his 1973 NATS winning car. If they were used sooner that would be a good thing for my replicas........if my thinking is correct. I honestly don't know if it is. I really don't know much about electricity, except don't use an electric shaver in the bath tub :shok: .

I was told electrical conductivity is like water flowing. Looking at the Mura C-can end bell I thought the brush spring screw post was "HOT" and putting an insulating washer under it stopped any current flow :unsure: ?

I did a test with an OHM meter but I really don't know if I'm doing it correctly. So I'm asking for help here from those electro-dudes that know this stuff....please :) .

One side of the end bell is stock with the spring post in contact with the buss bar:

Posted Image

The other side has a fiber washer between the post and the buss bar:

Posted Image

The "stock" side reads .2 ohms. So is current flowing????

Posted Image

The side with the fiber washer the ohm meter is flashing 1 then 0 then 1. No conductivity:

Posted Image

Any help for this electrically challenged Slotblogger would be much appreciated :) .

Rick Thigpen

#81 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:46 PM

What a gem of a motor!!! As usual, very nice work Jairus, John!!

Ernie

Ernie Layacan

#82 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Hi

Yes to the first, almost to the second. Voltage is pressure, the ohm meter is making enough to almost arc the gap. I am guessing that you are looking "two dimensionally" forgetting the screw part PAST the spacer and where it touches.

And I have no idea what the purpose of an insulator at this point would be. This strikes me as a classic example of "overthinking the project".

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#83 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

Doesn't the fiber washer insulate the brass spring cup (and therefore the spring) from current passing through the buss bar-brush hood?

Rick Thigpen

#84 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,330 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Yes, that's what they're for. On some of his later motors, Joel used a phenolic spring post for the same purpose. These occasionally show up on eBay.
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#85 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

Thanks Bill. That's what I thought. I guess it might not be widely known?

Anywho, the spring post screw passes through and does not touch the brush hood, buss bar and heat sink and threads into the plastic endbell.

The fiber washer completes the insulation of the brass spring post and spring post screw.

The brush spring is insulated at each end with Teflon tube and there ya go :) . Just make sure the shunt wire doesn't touch the bare spring at some point or it's all for naught.

Rick Thigpen

#86 Bob Thurman

Bob Thurman

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Wow, does that bring back memories. I got to a few races at Speed and Sport and loved the balcony to watch the track from above.

Bob Thurman

buzard

One of the San Diego geeks!

#87 Hermit #1

Hermit #1

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Those times in early 70´s.... I was making copies just like this one except the motor mount was left off. <SNIP>

PS - I think Grundy Gazette should still be somewhere left.

Thanks so much, Zipper, for reminding me of the old Grundy Gazette.  Found a 1972 copy here - amazingly SCAN0137.jpg in that issue is a Team C.O.U.G.H. advertisement, including a pitch for my chassis and motors.  Proof that I actually existed in 1972!  :D

Dave "Hermit" Jones
5/26/??-9/12/17
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop