#26 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

Bob,

Look at the first picture John posted in the thread's opening post. The other four drivers panels are just visible at the exit of the high bank.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#27 Daytonaman

Daytonaman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

Gus,

Just checked out that post on OWH thread "Where did all the old socal traacks go. The post by "fxgeorge" spoke of a pink Engleman next to the bathrooms at a C&B hobbies in Hayward, CA. Is this town close to Sacramento?

Thanks,

John
John Forrester

#28 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hayward to Sacramento is roughly 95 miles. Not that close.

Philippe de Lespinay

#29 Gus Kelley

Gus Kelley

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:50 PM

Hey John!

PdL's response is correct, that's a different raceway. There were a couple of very large tracks in that area way back then also. In fact, two were much larger than this track.

Gus in Sacto
Gus Kelley
12/01/54-7/22/14
Requiescat in Pace

#30 Daytonaman

Daytonaman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:59 AM

Gus,

Is Fred a member of this blog? If not, can you contact him?

Also, some have said this may be an All-Tech track. What are some of the identifiers of All-Ttech tracks, and did they have a catalog or other type of sales materials?

Thanks,

John
John Forrester

#31 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

John,

Fred Hood's Slotblog display name is "crash codger", but he doesn't log in much. In fact, he doesn't use a computer much, I am told.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#32 BrandonR

BrandonR

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

My favorite part about this track was when people come off the bank and didn't lift.
Brandon Radcliffe

#33 Gus Kelley

Gus Kelley

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:34 AM

Hey Brandon!

When this track up was running here in Sacto, It was very exciting compared to what I run today. About 1 in 10 launches ended up atop the restrooms. Always had to blip the bank.

Gus in Sacto
Gus Kelley
12/01/54-7/22/14
Requiescat in Pace

#34 BrandonR

BrandonR

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

There was a trash can about two feet past the other end and two feet back from the drivers stand. I saw at least two cars go in it.
Brandon Radcliffe

#35 Daytonaman

Daytonaman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

I just got another confirmation that this was indeed the 308' track at C&M in Sacaramento!

I would like to restore this track to its original configuration. The track was still in operating condition and was running when I took it down 1 year ago. Does anyone have any pics in Sacramento to show what lengths or sections were taken out? Was the track ever shown in any publications at that time?

Thanks,

John
  • Michael Jr. likes this
John Forrester

#36 GaryG

GaryG

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

Very cool thread! Do we know the builder of this pink-sided track?

Gary Gerding

#37 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

John was at our SERRA™ race today and we talked about this subject.

I believe the current thinking is that this is an All-Tech track.

Gregory Wells

#38 Daytonaman

Daytonaman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

:) Just another word on verifying that this is the track from C&M in Sacramento. I spoke with Jeff Chalmers today, who bought the track in South Carolina in 1986. He said that the tracks (2 of them, the Engleman? and another king type track.) were set up in a large warehouse type building in North Augusta, SC. The tracks had been for sale in an issue of Scale Auto Racing News in 1986. The king track was in bad condition and was never running in Jonesboro after the tracks were brought there.
Gus Kelly had said that the big track was red and the other track was smaller . According to Jeff, the big track was red when he got it , and I remember on the backside next to the wall, the formica appeared to be worn and a red color with grey paint over it. Another post stated that the pink formica was added after the track had moved to Manchester. Could it be that these two tracks were the same two that were in Sacramento, and both were All-Tech? It could be that the smaller track was in fact an All-Tech "Big Ben" that was so similar to a king that someone unfamiliar with the differences could have mistaken the two. Any comments Gus?

John
John Forrester

#39 Gus Kelley

Gus Kelley

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

Hey John! The primary track we're talking about had pinkish red sides. The other track had med to dark blue sides. the blue was not a king or other American Track.. It was longer than any American track. It did not have a donut as part of it and was in the 260ft range for lap lenghth. I finally spoke with Fred Hood friday night on the phone. He says that any pictures he took did not survive and others told him the lap lenghth of your track was 330ft. Gus in Sacto.
Gus Kelley
12/01/54-7/22/14
Requiescat in Pace

#40 Daytonaman

Daytonaman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

Hey John! The primary track we're talking about had pinkish red sides. The other track had med to dark blue sides. the blue was not a king or other American Track.. It was longer than any American track. It did not have a donut as part of it and was in the 260ft range for lap lenghth. I finally spoke with Fred Hood friday night on the phone. He says that any pictures he took did not survive and others told him the lap lenghth of your track was 330ft. Gus in Sacto.

Gus,

Thanks for your reply. The reason I brought this up is that most everyone thinks this is an All-Tech track. However ,Edwardo has stated that All-Tech did not make a track this big, and all their tracks had tubular steel legs like American, among other things. He seems to think it is a custom track built by a local cabinet shop that got into the slot track business. This may be true, but before I invest in the restoration, I would like to get as much info as possible. The red I mentioned earlier was indeed a pinkish tone. Ron Hershman posted an All-Tech promo spec photo of a 220 Titan
that appears to have boxed tapered wood legs like mine. Check his post on page 6 of "king track dsigns" under general slotracing.

Thanks,

John
John Forrester

#41 Edwardo

Edwardo

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

John,

Here's a photo of a genuine, honest to goodness 220' All-Tech Titan. Everything about this track looks factory to me except the driver panel. I say that because it's black, and every other All-Tech I've seen has the drivers panel the same color as the track sides.

Please also notice that this track still has its factory metal legs as well.

220 All-tech.jpg

#42 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:09 AM

Trains and Lanes in PA?

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#43 Edwardo

Edwardo

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

That's the one, Tony. To my knowledge, that's the only surviving All-Tech left in the country.

#44 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

We had a very good Retro race there on their blue King. We were going to come back and run on the 220 but whomever was in charge of the slot car side of the business did not have any interest in holding any races. It was a shame as it was centrally located for a lot of people at the time.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#45 Edwardo

Edwardo

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, that is a shame. Retro cars on that track, would be a blast. :)

#46 Daytonaman

Daytonaman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

:) Stopped by the storage space today to check on the Sacramento Monster. Can't wait for the chance to bring it back one more time. Many thanks to all who responded to my inquiries about the origins of this great track. Without your help, it probably would have passed into obscurity without recognition of what it really was. I would like to especially thank Gus Kelly and his friends on the West Coast who had personal knowledge and experience on the track.

Thanks again,

John
John Forrester

#47 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

We had a very good Retro race there on their blue King. We were going to come back and run on the 220 but whomever was in charge of the slot car side of the business did not have any interest in holding any races. It was a shame as it was centrally located for a lot of people at the time.

They ran a USRA race on that track (220) in 1997. I ran Gr27 and Gr7 which was a lot of fun. The highlight of the day was after the fourth heat in the Gr27 race when a turn marshal put his foot through the track. The cars stayed where they were for 2 hrs while the track was repaired. We all went out to lunch!:laugh2:
Fred Correnti

#48 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

John, I talked to Bill Pinch and he remembers you. What are your plans now concerning this track? If I remember correctly, you were planning on moving to Florida. Whats up, because it would be awesome to run on your track.
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#49 Daytonaman

Daytonaman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

John, I talked to Bill Pinch and he remembers you. What are your plans now concerning this track? If I remember correctly, you were planning on moving to Florida. Whats up, because it would be awesome to run on your track.

:) Dan, Good to hear from you again. After we last communicated I got in contact with Bill Pinch. He had already secured his new building and did not have room for the very large track. He mentioned also that the Orlando area already had four track locations, which seemed to me close to saturation in that market. In the meantime someone here mentioned the possibility of partnering here where there is a lot of retro interest. Since then, this has apparently fallen through because of lack of funds. I don't know how far Mims is from Orlando or Cocoa, but I am still open to relocating to Fla. I would need a large space with at least 90' of width or depth to accomodate this large track. If you know of someone of good character who would be interested, let me know.

Thanks,

John
  • Michael Jr. likes this
John Forrester

#50 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:01 PM

Do we know what ever happened with this unique track? Has it survived?

Michael Cannon

Upstate Speedway

100 McMillian St.

Spartanburg, SC 29303

Electric Dreams Online Shop