38 replies to this topic

#1 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

The second race is now in the books and it was even better than the first. We had a new winner in the form of Ray Carlisi, a new qualifying track record by John Gorski, and a real surprise in qualifying.

The second race was changed at the last minute from Saturday to Sunday and to Zeppelin Raceway because of the snow storms Friday and Saturday on the East coast. We still had 11 racers enter and some real surprises.

Posted Image

Lou stepped in at the last minute to make his Hillclimb track available on Sunday for the second race. Zep is the home of East Coast retro racing and this was the first race in their new location.

John and Noose will be posting all the "official" results but here are some early pictures and info on the cars run as I know thats what you guys are interested in.

John Gorski destroyed the track record in qualifying with the same car and motor he used last time, but second and third qualifiers were the big news. Harry Boudreau (probbaly spelled wrong) and Rob Kurylo were second and third qualifers in their first races. Both of these racers worked for Trinity as kids. Rob has been running 1/32 for the past couple of years and Harry has fooled around with group cars but nothing serious for quite some time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rob's car on the left was a Gorski RTR he tried for the first time on Saturday afternoon. Harry on the other hand borrowed this unloved Tony P chassis on Saturday night, finished setting it up on Sunday morning, ran a few practice laps, and proceded to qualify second with it. Yours truly managed to land the final sit-out spot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The field top and bottom. Most chassis were built by John Gorski with one Steube, two Pfieiffers, and two of mine.

Posted Image

John Gorski had problems breaking the front axle holder on one side but stil mamaged to finish second. Ray Carlisi drove a perfect race and covered the field by a couple of laps. Ray also won the semi-main easily. Yours truly was third. I finally am begining to to feel I am driving the car instead of the car driving me. Old age and not running a slot car for over 25 years will do that. LOL

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ray's winning car. Ray used a Mike Steube lightweight King-style chassis with weight added for the Hillclimb. The chassis has no hinges or plumber setup, the pans just flex on the wires front and rear that connect the pans to the center section. It is a mono-rail design using two rails of .073 piano and it used a full motor bracket. A simple but very effective chassis design. Plenty of traction and it runs good on all the lanes.

Ray was probably the only driver using an 8 tooth pinion in the main and the extra brakes let him overtake going into the deadman, the hardest turn on Zep's track.

Ray used a Lola body and JK rear tires. His car ran very smooth and Ray drove it punched the whole race and better yet almost never crashed of his own making.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is John's second place and TQ car. This is the same car John used to win our first race. Its a two rail of .063 wire with 1/2" floppies. John likes to use the nose piece of a JK flexy car and a wide center section. John also doesn't use any motor bracket except for a part the motor screws into.

John also used a Lola body painted by Noose. Alpha rear tires were used and this is the first time they have been used in the series. John uses a solid front axle and likes to use a rear brace to hold up the back of the body.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is my third place car. Its a mono rail with a "Faux" plummer rail and floppies. I used a motor bracket but I cut it off and butted it up against the rear axle tube.

The body is a Champion McLaren and rear tires are Alpha's. Lead wire is Trinity Slotworks, I had to throw that in to keep Ernie happy. lol . . .

I liked my car better with coated front tires and and independent front axle set-up. We were short marshalls for the "A" main so I added so extra weight before the main to make the car easier for my 57-year-old finger to control.

Noose and John will be posting more pictures and the official results so stay tuned.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#2 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

Posted Image

Mike Katz once again put his 30-year-old car in the "A" main, finishing 4th this time. This car has been run for 30 years. For the Retro series Mike took off the drop arm, cut it in half and soldered it solid. It runs really well. The body is a genuine Mini-Wheels Lola body also of the same vintage. A real retro racer.

Posted Image

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#3 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

March 18. 2007. Can-Am Race Results from Zeppelin Raceway.
Nice turnout for a quick last-minute race rescheduling!
Congrates to Ray Carlisi for his first Can-Am victory. Great driving!!
Main Laps and Qualifying :

Ray Carlisi - 280 laps - 4.84 secs
John Gorski - 276 laps - 4.60 - #1 sit-out -TQ
Tony P. - 273 laps - 4.78 - #4 sit-out
Mike Katz - 267 laps - 4.96
Vinny Spina - 258 laps - 4.86
Harry Boudreau - 25 laps - 4.72 - #2 sit-out
Joey “Noose” - 247 laps - 4.82
Rob Kurylo - 155 laps - 4.77- #3 sit-out

Thanks to Rick and Janet Pfeiffer from CT for making the trip. Rick had two sano
scratchbuilt chassis but was pressed for time right up til tech to get his his car assembled. Rob Kurylo and Harry Boudreau (former Trinity employees) jetted to two sit-outs in the Main in their first race. “Noose" took Concours. Thanks to Zeppelin for taking us in at the last minute! Great driving, everybody!
Complete report to follow!

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#4 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

Noose took concours with his beautiful Champion McLaren.

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#5 Markg

Markg

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

Nice run, Ray!!!

A first-class racer with any car!

Hope all is well, bud. ;)

#6 M. Steube

M. Steube

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:17 PM

Congrats Ray, great drive. Thanks for the super race report, guys. :)

#7 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

Ray, nice drive! I love that car, too. John and Tony, it's like the old days all over again, eh? Congrats to both of you. It's like a bicycle, is it not? :)
Where does this leave the new generation . . . :lol:

Philippe de Lespinay

#8 Slotgeezer

Slotgeezer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:31 AM

Great report and photos, Tony! :clap:

Many thanks! . . . Great chassis shots! . . .

Take care . . . :wave: . . . and good racing!!! :wall: :doh: :crazy:

Jeff Easterly - Capt., Team Wheezer...
Asst. Mechanic, Team Zombie...
Power is coming on... NOW!!!

#9 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:14 AM

Thanks, guys. I always like chassis shots myself. When I was a kid I studied those Rod & Custom Road Race magazine articles Gene Husting did and copied the chassis of Mike Morrissey from the articles. That's how I got started scratchbuilding.

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#10 BWA

BWA

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

Wow, good going guys, I think I saw at least seven of my brackets (or at least parts of them) in those pics. 8) :mrgreen:
Al Penrose BWA (Batchelor Without Arts, Eh!)

#11 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,182 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:44 AM

Uh hum . . . and a set of your wheel inserts!

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#12 BWA

BWA

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

Yep, them too. :)

Too bad they hadn't started all this DIII stuff with slightly taller wheels all round, making the Russkit repro wheels the standard. The cars would then look pretty incredible with the larger rims with decent inserts all round. :cry:

Oh well! :|

#13 NJ Racer

NJ Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for all the support, everyone. This program to me is of course about slot car racing, but more importantly about supporting this fantastic opportunity to run with timeless "Pros, Chassis Builders & Body Painters" like Gorski, TonyP, Noose, and Provetti, and filling the friendship void that I apparently missed when I was a 15-year-old kid from the Bronx in NYC. My old buddy, Al Pollack, meeting up with me and sharing those pics with Ursaner and Gross, and the other kids has been great also. I even met the Dokk and Sandy Gross at the first East Coast race, and am running a Steube chassis. Meeting all the other new faces at our first two races was really great. Mike Katz and I were discussing how we both were lost in the sea of 100 plus racers at the Arco 33 at Elmsford in 1967. Mike is still running a chassis and body from that era in our program. John, Joe, and Tony have done a great job creating this East Coast program, and of course kudos to everyone in California for starting this all .

:clap:
"Ya gotta be in it to win it"

Ray Carlisi

#14 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:35 PM

Ray, thanks for the kind words. It is a pleasure racing with you and the rest of the guys . . .

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#15 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,182 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:50 PM

Ray, we think we are going to make you lose your "Lucky Shirt" since wearing it has brought you two semi wins, a 3rd in a main, and a win! Congrats again!

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#16 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

Or at least wash it. LOL..

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#17 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:39 PM

Too bad they hadn't started all this DIII stuff with slightly taller wheels all round, making the Russkit repro wheels the standard. The cars would then look pretty incredible with the larger rims with decent inserts all round.

We would have had no bodies to put over the chassis . . . we had to make a choice.

Philippe de Lespinay

#18 BWA

BWA

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:32 PM

The bodies would only need to be 1/16" taller??? :?

#19 alainprost22

alainprost22

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

Ray,

Congratulations. Hopefully, you fixed that chattering and wobbly guide. Looks like your toy weighs about 3 lbs. If Team Nutley doesn't pick you up, maybe we could hook you up, with a full Team Comet sponsorship (you pay ALL expenses). It seems everyone is having a good time. I can see Tony has lost none of his building skills. And Joe still paints a hell of a bod. See you guys soon.

Al Pollack

#20 John Gorski

John Gorski

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Ray and congrates on your Victory :up: Had a great time last week practicing with you at Slot Zone. I noticed everyone driving alot better and lots of Sano dicing between groups of cars without deslots I was in the middle of a bunch of those thats the greatest driving RUSH :spin:
John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#21 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

Or at least wash it. LOL..

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#22 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

The bodies would only need to be 1/16" taller???

Al, the way the molds are, a 3/4" front is IT. There is no way to go higher. In fact, we are using the Abarth for the King, and we have to use part of the normally-trimmed area up front because those are designed for 5/8" wheels.

Philippe de Lespinay

#23 NJ Racer

NJ Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:51 PM

How about this one :lol:

Posted Image
"Ya gotta be in it to win it"

Ray Carlisi

#24 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:10 PM

Ray, pretty cool! :mrgreen:

Philippe de Lespinay

#25 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:13 PM

8) Nice race Ray!!!! Way to go!!!! Was a very fun time again and it was great to see new people joining in. Special thanks goes out to Zepps for accomodating us on very short notice. :clap:

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop