40 replies to this topic

#26 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Believe me they ARE THAT FAST... O'm sure my buddy ol' John Wakamatsu will read and chime in soon, but he has a six-lane 92' per lap track that they cover with unlimited cars in just over 2 seconds per lap. You barely see them even on the 24' straightaways.

It's true the traction magnets have an awful lot to do with that, but even our Super Stocks are doing that track in just a little over 4 seconds per lap, so your eyes aren't deceiving you. HOs are as fast as any 1/24 slots. WHAT A RUSH!!!

Believe me they ARE THAT FAST... O'm sure my buddy ol' John Wakamatsu will read and chime in soon, but he has a six-lane 92' per lap track that they cover with unlimited cars in just over 2 seconds per lap. You barely see them even on the 24' straightaways.

It's true the traction magnets have an awful lot to do with that, but even our Super Stocks are doing that track in just a little over 4 seconds per lap, so your eyes aren't deceiving you. HOs are as fast as any 1/24 slots. WHAT A RUSH!!!

I believe even faster than 1/24th's

Karl Hoffheins

4/8/65-8/16/22
Requiescat in Pace

#27 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

What's even more interesting is the T-Jet's in the video are set-up in a fashion where they do not run worth a crap on original Aurora lock N' joiner track.

They limit the pick-up travel with special pick-up shoes and they only work well on routed track. If these guys were "real old school" they would run exclusivly on Aurora lock n' joiner track.

What's even more interesting is the T-Jet's in the video are set-up in a fashion where they do not run worth a crap on original Aurora lock N' joiner track.

They limit the pick-up travel with special pick-up shoes and they only work well on routed track. If these guys were "real old school" they would run exclusivly on Aurora lock n' joiner track.

I still have lots of that track if anyone needs some.

Karl Hoffheins

4/8/65-8/16/22
Requiescat in Pace

#28 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Well a "hot" legal motor for t-jets would be a well balanced 16 ohm arm with a good set of dash or JL magnets
The t-jet gods smile upon some of us when we find that!

Well a "hot" legal motor for t-jets would be a well balanced 16 ohm arm with a good set of dash or JL magnets
The t-jet gods smile upon some of us when we find that!

I would think that a mean green armature would be faster, along with a few gear changes also.

Karl Hoffheins

4/8/65-8/16/22
Requiescat in Pace

#29 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

Whew! Unreal!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#30 The Bugman

The Bugman

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

I believe even faster than 1/24th's

karl;
i think the real reason they seem so fast,is that the tracks are alot smaller,so youre always
looking at both sides of a track quikly to follow,as most HO Tracks are around 50-65',and on
a frame of about 16'L x 4 or 5' W,,,we dont use the room 24th do,and most track are 4 lane,,,
Oscar Morales
8/16/49-9/18/13
Requiescat in Pace

#31 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

karl;
i think the real reason they seem so fast,is that the tracks are alot smaller,so youre always
looking at both sides of a track quikly to follow,as most HO Tracks are around 50-65',and on
a frame of about 16'L x 4 or 5' W,,,we dont use the room 24th do,and most track are 4 lane,,,

karl;

Maybe so but I wonder if anyone has done reasearch to find out which is truely faster H/O or 1/24th?? I own both.

Karl Hoffheins

4/8/65-8/16/22
Requiescat in Pace

#32 The Bugman

The Bugman

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

i do too,,im with SCHOR,for HO,,,,and race several types of Retro with SCRRA,
we've done some comparisons,and think that
Pro Super Stock = Retro CanAm or F1,
HOPRA Modifieds = Retro Pro,
G27 = Neo's
Unlimited = G7,
weve never done any actual MPH 's comparisons tho
Oscar Morales
8/16/49-9/18/13
Requiescat in Pace

#33 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Oscar,
I was at a HO drag race Saturday. There are 45 MPH Pancake cars "TJET/AFX" & double that with HO inline " I think faster but don`t want to be wrong" . Now if i could get one these to handle a road coarse, And motor to last !
They did not run these classesSaturday, but maybe some one more in to HO drag can chime in.
Thanks SJJ
John Falzarano

#34 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

When I was racing restricted open class in the early 90's, the 65' road course at Zeppelin Hobbies was done in about 2.5 seconds, which works out to 26 feet per second. Now racing retro classes, typical Can-Am or F1 on a king is about 4.5 seconds, which is 34 feet per second. So the retro cars are faster in true speed, but that doesn't account for the difference in size or the fact that a king tracks has 5 turns (including the donut) and the road course Hotrack had about 8 turns plus a set of esses. A better comparison would be for a typical flat track; the magnetic downforce of the HO cars would probably tip the scale in that direction.
"Whatever..."

#35 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

If you figure relative speeds to the size of the car--HO'S are ballistically fast!!! I drove my first HO race a few months ago--and the modified and open cars are harder to drive quick than Euro cars on a flat track!! So fast I decided I wasn't ready to drive them!! It's really not fair to compare HO racing to wing KIng Track racing as if you put the HO's on a banked track--they'd be able to go even faster!! Their invisible missles' when their handling really well!! But ALL RACING'S fun!!! :)
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#36 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Oscar,
I was at a HO drag race Saturday. There are 45 MPH Pancake cars "TJET/AFX" & double that with HO inline " I think faster but don`t want to be wrong" . Now if i could get one these to handle a road coarse, And motor to last !
They did not run these classesSaturday, but maybe some one more in to HO drag can chime in.
Thanks SJJ

Oscar,
Thanks SJJ

What kind of H/O track are you trying to get these to handle on???

Karl Hoffheins

4/8/65-8/16/22
Requiescat in Pace

#37 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

When I was racing restricted open class in the early 90's, the 65' road course at Zeppelin Hobbies was done in about 2.5 seconds, which works out to 26 feet per second. Now racing retro classes, typical Can-Am or F1 on a king is about 4.5 seconds, which is 34 feet per second. So the retro cars are faster in true speed, but that doesn't account for the difference in size or the fact that a king tracks has 5 turns (including the donut) and the road course Hotrack had about 8 turns plus a set of esses. A better comparison would be for a typical flat track; the magnetic downforce of the HO cars would probably tip the scale in that direction.

Ok then how about a staight line drag race between both scales LOL

Karl Hoffheins

4/8/65-8/16/22
Requiescat in Pace

#38 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

An outright, heads-up 1/24 vs. HO scale unlimited drag race under the same power and track conditions would be easily doable.

The car rules are completely open with any accepted width or wheelbase that would be scale representative of any real car in that scale.

Special purpose electric motor parts from any source is acceptable - must fit within confines of a car that would be scale representative in that scale.

Specal purpose bodies from any source are acceptable - need not resemble real cars.

May use any aerodynamic assist components that fit within a reasonable outermost perimeter of any real car representative in that scale.

It could be done on a 1/24 drag strip (to ensure identical track conditions).

Must specify steel or non-magnetic braid; car construction and configuration will follow (any configuration of magnets allowed for traction assist).

Any tire and glue combination from any source is acceptable.

Any wheel/tire used must roll freely about a basically horizontal axis and must support all chassis parts off of road surface during entire race run.*

AWD and multiple motors are permissible, maximum 2 total axles driven by any means by electric motors.

A single rear axle (aft of the two driven axles) may be used as wheelie bars, minimum one wheel of wheelie bars to contact the road surface.

Outer contacting surfaces of guide pin(s) pin or flag(s) below road surface into slot must be plastic material (commercial guides preferred).*

Any motor controller will be acceptable, any combination of manual and/or completely automatic/sensor driven allowed.

*Rules intended to protect track road and slot features from permanent damage.

Decide which scale constitutes HO - I believe it would be 1/87 +/- 4%; 1/24 to 1/25 is an accepted limit.

It would be interesting to see where ground traction electric motors would go if there were no limits - "Thingies" for sure!

Keep THAT in the slot,

AJ

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#39 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

hey this sounds cool, but the HO cars would need 18-20 volts
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#40 alpink

alpink

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

An outright, heads-up 1/24 vs. HO scale unlimited drag race under the same power and track conditions would be easily doable.

The car rules are completely open with any accepted width or wheelbase that would be scale representative of any real car in that scale.

Special purpose electric motor parts from any source is acceptable - must fit within confines of a car that would be scale representative in that scale.

Specal purpose bodies from any source are acceptable - need not resemble real cars.

May use any aerodynamic assist components that fit within a reasonable outermost perimeter of any real car representative in that scale.

It could be done on a 1/24 drag strip (to ensure identical track conditions).

Must specify steel or non-magnetic braid; car construction and configuration will follow (any configuration of magnets allowed for traction assist).

Any tire and glue combination from any source is acceptable.

Any wheel/tire used must roll freely about a basically horizontal axis and must support all chassis parts off of road surface during entire race run.*

AWD and multiple motors are permissible, maximum 2 total axles driven by any means by electric motors.

A single rear axle (aft of the two driven axles) may be used as wheelie bars, minimum one wheel of wheelie bars to contact the road surface.

Outer contacting surfaces of guide pin(s) pin or flag(s) below road surface into slot must be plastic material (commercial guides preferred).*

Any motor controller will be acceptable, any combination of manual and/or completely automatic/sensor driven allowed.

*Rules intended to protect track road and slot features from permanent damage.

Decide which scale constitutes HO - I believe it would be 1/87 +/- 4%; 1/24 to 1/25 is an accepted limit.

It would be interesting to see where ground traction electric motors would go if there were no limits - "Thingies" for sure!

Keep THAT in the slot,

AJ

in the 90's I had 1/24 and ho (1/64) side by side with a Trik Trax Drag Trax timing system and we infrequebtly switched one lane to compare unlimited type cars of each scale. the HO cars had lower ETs due to the shorter distance (20'7.5") and, incredibly, similar MPH.
it has been my experience in slot drag racing that a really good ET will not always result in high MPH. and that a high MPH is a result of tire spin and a higher ET results. there have been near perfect runs in both scales that netted ideal results in both categories though.
I am somewhat amazed at the reports of ETs in HO on a 17'6" track in the .170s and easliy 100 MPH.
I have run 1/24 scale funny cars over 100MPH, however I forget the ETs and I haven't played with them for over a decade.
I recall something in the .300 from then, but I know they are faster now.
comparing scales is not as easy as all that.many factors, even in straight line drag racing separate the abilities of each size.
and power is always disputable. I ran 1/24 scale at 16 volts with a charger on for added amps and I currently run HOs at 24 volts from auto batteries.
apples and oranges in most scenarios.
gearing on an HO car would never allow it to be competitive on a 55' track, it would max out way too soon. the mere tire sizes available for 1/24 scale and the multitude of gearing combinations allow much higher wind outs by those motors.
most HO cars are run on solid silicone slip on tires or silicone impregnated foam tires so the need for traction glue is negated although do know a group that runs gasket adhesive or somesuch for traction even with those tires.
it is still fun to discuss the merits of side by side differing scale racing though.
Al Pink

#41 alpink

alpink

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

update on current quikest pass, you can verify this on Sluggercan dot com, .... 0.155@113 .... 0.156@118
now to a different subject
Hey Youse Guise!
I got a sampler of SUPER tires this week and got some track time last night to try them out. I am not much of a racer, but I have to say these tires seem to work better than a lot of brands. I mostly drag race and the tires I got don't lend themselves to that purpose, but others at the track were liking the performance they got from these tires as we tested the whole lot I got. thanx for the bonus wheels which allowed me to test on a car that usually uses sili-foams of the same diameter and the performance was very similar. the track seemed to be emitting more dirt than usual and the SUPER tires got a fair amount of grip through that. the fall off of performance once they got dirty was dramatic, but all brands were getting dirty quickly and everyone had to stop frequently to clean. I wish I could say that these are heads and shoulders over the other brands (in some cases they are), however we didn't get time enough for a full evaluation, which I think would take days under various conditions and I am not a good enough circuit track (tempted to say roundy-round since I usually only go straight) racer to judge properly. but I was pleased and will purchase some more for other applications to try out. thanx again for the opportunity to try a new product and keep up the good work.
al
Al Pink

Electric Dreams Online Shop