• 15,325 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

Appetite for Destruction
Tawney & Brown Prevail in Daytona
July 16, 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The great chameleon of a track in Holly Hill was the venue for the latest round of the Florida GRRR retro series. Once again Greg Walker had the track in great shape completely cleaned and freshly gluded for the event. For those not familiar with the track it is a high speed banked oval modeled after the Daytona track just down the street wit a road course in the infield that uses the straight and 2 banks just like it's full sized cousin. Changing from oval to road course takes about 5 minutes just by switching little sections of track surface on each lane which direct the cars either straight around the oval or into the infield. Surprising is how well this works and causes no unsettling of the cars, providing you don't have the nose of your body dragging on the track. Cleaver idea which makes for a neat track.

it is a nice track for retro cars and I am starting to love it now that I am getting enough time on it so figure it out. The infield flows great. My issues have been the kink right before the cars turn into the infield. It requires a quick blip then you have to instanlty break for the deadman which is off-camber turning into the infield. I think I just about have it down. 1 more race should do it. Its funny, the flat infield is no issue for me, the king which is easy as hell is. LOL.....

Posted Image
We had the pleasure of having Jay Guard in attendance for this even as he was in the Orlando area for family stuff and manage to get some time to come out and play. Jay always busts my balls about never having run on a flat track when I was younger, Well I am learning...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Due to Marty's eye troubles, Grant Goerner stepped up to be our new tech inspector and got his first lessons from Marty at this race. This is a big help and also allows Marty who does so much work on race day to kick back a little and spend more time practicing and getting his stuff ready on race morning. Grant even had time to supply some of the shots for the article. Thanks!

Posted Image

As usual Can-am was up first.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Concours was taken by Jim Smith most realistic and my Noose painted TI22 was best appearing.

Posted Image

Terry Tawney who has about a zillion laps on this track was TQ once again.

Terry Tawney, 5.441 secs
Jay Guard, 5.467
tonyp, 5.486
Grant Goerner, 5.546
Dan Dougherty, 5.550
Marty Stanley, 5.564
Ken Brown, 5.615
Jim Smith, 5.946
Bob Dewoody, 6.134
Bob Isrealite, 6.507

Posted Image

Me second, Terry Tawney 1st, and Jay Guard 3rd. The main was a round robin affair and actually very clean for the most part. A couple incidents of marshals bending over and almost falling on the track, LOL. The infield in some parts is right on the floor. Terry drove a great race once again and took first place. I was real pumped to finally feel like I could drive the track. I blew any chance of a win with the lane advantage for the last heat by dumping it twice in the last heat in the deadman, where else. LOL. At least I kept Terry honest. He is a great racer, especially on his type of track. Keeping him to three laps was like a win to me. Jay ran good with the little practice he has on the track for a fine third.

1. Terry Tawney, 246 laps
2. tonyp, 243
3. Jay Guard, 239
4. Dan Dougherty, 236
5. Ken Brown, 235
6. Marty Stanley, 229
7. Jim Smith, 220
8. Bob Dewoody, 214
9. Bob Isrealite, 186
10. Grant Goerner, DNF unknown motor failure

Fastest of the fast: Fastest race lap, Terry Tawney - 5.325 secs
Most laps, Terry Tawney - 33 on Yellow

Posted Image
Posted Image

Terry's TQ & winner, Marty Stanley built Rgeo kit, O/S Ti22, F7, Parma guide, JK front & rear tires. 103.3 grams, Third Eye controller.

Posted Image
Posted Image

My second placer, tonyp "Octopussy" chassis, O/S Ti22, TSR, 9/28, JK guide, Chicagoland fronts, Alpha rears, 116 grams, Difalco controller.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Jay Guard was third with this car, Jay Guard chassis, TSR, 8/27, Red Fox guide, JK tires, 109.2 grams. Third Eye controller.

After the main pizza was served and Greg Walker converted the track over to NASCAR for a half hour hour practice before tech opened.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Marty Stanley took most realistic concours with his Petty "Plymouth" and Bob Isrealite took time off from hunting crockzilla in the everglades to take the best appearing award.

For NASCAR on ovals we do not always qualify to save time so we give out the TQ plaque to the fastest race lap. Because the track is flat punched except for a micro blip at the kink, that is the only place we really have cars come off. When you do miss the kink the car shoots straight down to purple and black heading into the bank which makes for spectacular wrecks. There is just no way to stop. To combat this we run just the top six lanes, and still manage to wreck each other...

Posted Image

Terry Tawney second, Ken Brown with his first GRRR win. Congrats Ken, you drove great, kept out of trouble all race and it is well deserved. tonyp third and TQ.

1. Ken Brown, 390 laps
2. Terry Tawney, 389
3. tonyp, 388
4. Dan Dougherty, 384
5. Jay Guard, 376
6. Marty Stanley, 292, Wrecked into marshalls had at 3000mph
7. Grant Goerner, 230, Nerfed car in bank and had his own guide tongue fall off
8. Jim Smith, 55 Destroyed body
9. Bob Isrealite, SPUN PINION!!!!

Fastest of the fast: Fastest race lap, tonyp 2.614 secs
Most laps, Ken Brown & tonyp 67

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ken's winner, Ken Stephens chassis, O/S Daytona body, F7, 10/28, JK front & rear tires. 124 grams, Difalco controller.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Terry's second place car, Marty Stanley built RGeo, O/S Charger, F7, JK guide, JK tires. 133 grams, Third Eye controller.

Posted Image
Posted Image

My third placer, tonyp chassis. O/S Daytona, TSR, 12/28, JK Guide, Chicagoland fronts, Alpha rears, 127 grams, Difalco controller.

Posted Image

Grant is still trying to figure out how he nerfed someone up the bank on the oval, made it through the turn, went 30' further, and then had his guide tongue fall off.

That's it. See you next month... Got to move.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#2 Steve McCready

Steve McCready

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for the Photos makes for an interesting race report.:D
Always nice to see what others are doing.:)

#3 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Poor Marty looks like he's got even more trouble than me... :(
Hang in there Marty, the white cane is not for us yet! :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#4 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

Tony: great race report.

I want to congradulate Ken Brown on his first GRRR race victory. He drove the kink to profection and came away with his first win. Way to go, Ken!
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#5 Mopar Rob

Mopar Rob

Retro Snob as of 1/12/2011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

Tony:

Nice report.

I do have one question. What's with the tape on the bottom of the chassis? I assume it's something for the lap counting system or is it some Evil Bucks Racer trick?

Rob Hanson

Shops at Mid-America Raceway and uses R-Geo Products

Rob was right!

#6 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

Holly Hill's scoring system is an electric eye which requires a highly reflective surface; hence the aluminized tape on the bottom of the chassis.
Doc Dougherty
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio

#7 Marty Stanley

Marty Stanley

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Dokk,

As you are aware, even though the 'bad eye' really does not see things, it still sees some light. At this raceway, the light coming in through the windoes sometimes causes light flares in the 'good eye' To give me some ability to drive a slot car - I don't intend to let the loss of just one eye keep me from enjoying what I love so much - I had one of the racers paint me up a couple of 'blinders' for the right eye. It works. Plus it makes Tony laugh a whole lot what I look at him with these glasses on. It works!
Marty Stanley
1/24/48-2/18/16
Requiescat in Pace

#8 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

Good one Tony :laugh2:

Florida Legend has it that Crockzilla has only been spotted sunning on the highest bankz. :o So I showed up ;)

Great report and a Fun Day.:)
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#9 Marty Stanley

Marty Stanley

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

Tony,

I was wondering . . . . . how's the hand? The one that stopped the 3000 mph Plymouth!
Marty Stanley
1/24/48-2/18/16
Requiescat in Pace

#10 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:29 AM

Marty, good, the middle finger works again. Lol.....

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#11 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

"Super P Man" can stop a speeding bullet, bend steel with his bare hands, his cars are more powerful then a locomotive but he can't leap tall banks in a single bound any more.:laugh2:
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#12 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

:D Great race and report!!!! Tony whats with that awesome heat sink??? I guess with 12/28 you really needed it!!!

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#13 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

It's a prototype from the place that makes my current one, problem is way to expensive to make, it would have to sell for 16.99 lol....

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#14 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

Bob, we have another test day at asr in 2 weeks I believe. Why don't you try to make I so we can get you up to speed. I forgot. To look for your wrench.... End of the week I'll have my new man tomb set up, call me and I'll check....

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#15 Marty Stanley

Marty Stanley

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

It's a prototype from the place that makes my current one, problem is way to expensive to make, it would have to sell for 16.99 lol....

Tony,

This might sound strange, but if a $16.99 heat sink can get an additional race out of an $11.95 motor, then in the long run it could be worth the price of admission.
Marty Stanley
1/24/48-2/18/16
Requiescat in Pace

#16 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

Bob, we have another test day at asr in 2 weeks I believe. Why don't you try to make I so we can get you up to speed. I forgot. To look for your wrench.... End of the week I'll have my new man tomb set up, call me and I'll check....

I will....if crockzilla doesn't get me first.:huh: might even have one of my chassis ready to try out, it will be different, very different.:unsure: :sarcastic_hand:
Thanks Tony and Marty too for all your help.

BTW - Man Tomb = Tony's secret la-bor-a tory :wizard:
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#17 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

I had one of the racers paint me up a couple of 'blinders' for the right eye. It works. Plus it makes Tony laugh a whole lot what I look at him with these glasses on. It works!

Marty, Are you sure it is not one of these used to tech the cars? :o :laugh2: :angry:

Attached Images

• COMICAD%20xray%20glasses.jpg

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#18 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

Tony,

This might sound strange, but if a $16.99 heat sink can get an additional race out of an $11.95 motor, then in the long run it could be worth the price of admission.

Only if you get popcorn and a soda with it.:popcorm1:
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#19 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,658 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

I didn't even notice it.

Very cool, pun fully intended.

I'm surprised you don't have the fins longer on one side for the oval. LOL

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#20 Ken Brown

Ken Brown

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

Tony: great race report.

I want to congradulate Ken Brown on his first GRRR race victory. He drove the kink to profection and came away with his first win. Way to go, Ken!

Thanks Doc! But it would not have happened without the motor you provided. Thanks for helping me out. It was great to be competitive. K.B.
Ken Brown
1949-1/21/12
Requiescat in Pace

#21 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

Ken, You are most welcome.... I am glad that it worked out for you, awesome.
Doc Dougherty

#22 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

Tony,
Great report as always, really looks like you gyus had a good time, wish my schedule had allowed me to come down, I also agree with Marty on the heat sink,if it does what it is intended then it would be worth it, after all you dont throw it away when the motor smokes, just put it on another motor, and I Really like the wide stance of it........Kim

#23 Marty Stanley

Marty Stanley

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

it is a nice track for retro cars and I am starting to love it now that I am getting enough time on it so figure it out. The infield flows great. My issues have been the kink right before the cars turn into the infield. It requires a quick blip then you have to instanlty break for the deadman which is off-camber turning into the infield. I think I just about have it down. 1 more race should do it. Its funny, the flat infield is no issue for me, the king which is easy as hell is. LOL.....

Tony,

If you ever figure out that 'kink' at The Race Place on this track, all of us are dead meat! Those that have raced there, Terry, Danny, Ken and others know how to make it through there, set up for the infield turn and run it and the 'Finger' at full punch and make up several feet each lap on many of the others that are not used to running there.

I've watched you try to run that 'kink' flat punched - with no success I might add - with all the cars you race there. I have never had a car, other then a wing car, that will let you run the 'king' without blipping.

Without a doubt, the track at The Race Place is a very cool one to race retro on. It combines the intensity of that infield section with the high speed tri-oval, just like it does down the road at the Daytona International Speedway. Since Greg Walker, the owner of The Race Place, once raced his Corvette in IMSA races, I think that was one reason he chose to replicate the track he raced on in 1:1 scale at his place for slot car racing. In my opinion it is one of the most challenging tracks to set a car up for. If you go too far on gearing, you get left behind on turn exit from all the infield turns. If you go too short on gearing, then you get to see the back of everyone' spoiler on the back stretch.

How do you think a Formula 1 race will go on that track? I think it would be an awesome category to race there.
Marty Stanley
1/24/48-2/18/16
Requiescat in Pace

#24 Grant G.

Grant G.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

Way to go Ken and Terry!

Post race teardown of my motor showed that I had oil all over my commutator. Lesson learned!

See you guys next time.........

Grant Goerner

#25 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

Same for me, Grant. Obviously, we are over-oiling the endbell bearing.

EDIT: BTW Grant, go see the "motor and motor rebuilding' section here on slotblog. I put a post out there; for your reading pleasure!
Doc Dougherty

Electric Dreams Online Shop