• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,229 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

The first race(s) of our 8-race series is in the books. This series also includes a "GTR" class(flexi/F7/PS4002B/Corvette,Saleen, etc) which is run before the Can-Am race. I'll just cover the Can-Am results here:

1. Ken Stevens 265
2. John Myers 265 TQ - 4.8385
3. Lonny Getso 261
4. Kraig Beck 260
5. Ryan Lisko 259
6. Moe Callison 258
7. Kyle Stokes 257
8. Fred Correnti 255
9. Chuck Vilmont 249
10. Richard Hofer 246
11. David Grant 246
12. David Berry 241
13. Chris Tanner 233
14. Pete Shick 213
15. Zach ? 205

It was a tight race right down to the wire with the lead swapping multiple times the last 2 heats. In the end, Ken Stevens of Houston came out on top. GRATS, Ken! Thanks to everyone who came out to play; I'm still amazed at every turnout... 15! Next race is at Fat Cat Race Track in Lake Worth on September 10th. Cya then! :D
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#2 Rhett

Rhett

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

looks like Uncle Top Fuel Fred was right, his car was faster than yours TEX....

Rhett McNair
Slot Racers of Texas
Chief Perp

#3 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,229 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, rub it in, Rhett.... but THIS rivalry is just gettin' started! :rolleyes: I could list my excuses for him beating me, but what's the point? We both had new chassis'(Fred's first scratchbuilt in decades!) and we both felt our cars handled pretty good. Obviously, I have some things to work on but, in the end, I felt good about the new chassis. I feel REALLY good because NOW I have TWO decent handling retro Can-Am chassis'. While it's fun to bring oddball ideas to life, it wasn't yielding me anything truly competitive. These last 2 builds were strictly exercises in building something relatively straightforward in order to improve my actual racing experience. I know 10th wouldn't excite many, but at least I'm not fighting an ill-handling beast. I'll get back to building some odd ideas sometime, but for now I'm all about building up a stable I can actually race... even if it's for 10th.

Fred, I'm gunnin' for ya, pard! :D
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#4 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

To be fair, Rich had some gear problems that slowed him down. In the B Main we were fairly close, my fast lap was a 5.22 and his was 5.31, both disappointing. I must give Rich credit for taking a daring approach to chassis design where mine was more conventional. Both cars need some tweaking. Of course he did nerf me in the first lap of the first heat!:shok:

I can't say enough about Ken Stevens win in Retro. He didn't have the fastest car in the race but his driving made the difference.
Fred Correnti

#5 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

To be fair, Rich had some gear problems that slowed him down. In the B Main we were fairly close, my fast lap was a 5.22 and his was 5.31, both disappointing. I must give Rich credit for taking a daring approach to chassis design where mine was more conventional. Both cars need some tweaking. Of course he did nerf me in the first lap of the first heat!:shok:

I can't say enough about Ken Stevens win in Retro. He didn't have the fastest car in the race but his driving made the difference.

Hi Fred, great to see you building and racing. Way to go Tex, racing improves the breed.
Howie Ursaner

#6 Uke

Uke

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

For my first retro race, I had a ball. Can't believe how close this racing is. Now only if I wouldn't have missed 4-5 laps because of a braid problem... oh what might have been. It is nearly impossible to make up laps when the cars are all within .1 or .2 of each other.

Great job Ken and John (like always). Lonny had a win in the GTR race to go along with his podium finish in retro.

Can't wait for the FatCat race in a month... no wait less then a month. :)

Ryan
Ryan Lisko
Home track: Wylie Motor Speedway

#7 Milkman

Milkman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

I managed to get a few pics at the race. There's a shot of the field of cars for the GTR and Can Am race and a shot of the racers in action. I'll try to take more pics at the next race.

Wylie_Race_No_1_a.jpg

Retro_Can_Am_8-13-11_a.jpg

GTR_8-13-11_a.jpg
Ken Stevens
Speedstar - Go fast, stay on, do laps!!

#8 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

Tex, excellent turnout for the D3 race!