Atlas Ford GT question
#1
Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:50 AM
I have a couple Atlas 1/32 Ford GTs. Last summer I bought a partially completed kit with two bodies. The original body, the one I'm familiar with from having owned a few of them over the years and from having received one from my dad as one of my first slot car gifts 'back in the day' was painted by the previous owner blue and white, and all the chrome bits are still on the tree. These include the headlight covers, tail lights, exhaust tips, etc.
The interesting thing is the OTHER body. It very much resembles the standard Atlas Ford GT, but all the bits that are loose on the original (and I thought only) body are molded into this one. It is made from the same 'cycolac' plastic as the original, and is the indentical blue to the blue used to mold most of the original cars (they also came in white). The interior for the original body, which is integral to the pivoting chassis mounting system, fits perfectly in this one with the alignment holes on the interior perfectly lining up with the mounting pins molded into the underside of the body. The fit of the interior is perfect, there is no question it was meant to fit that body. But the interior is definitely Atlas, with that name prominently molded into it. The windshield/glass from the original body is also a perfect fit in the extra body. Perfect fit.
The body appears to be more of a 'competition' body, with no detail bits to fall off, and there are actually two little diaplanes/splitters molded into the nose.
The detail on the car, although molded in, is all but identical to what the original car looks like with the chrome bits installed on it. With the exception of the molded in front spoilers.
Later tonight when I'm home I will attempt to post up some pics... but from the description, any of you 1/32 vintage Atlas experts know the story on this apparently Atlas Ford GT body?
Thanks!
Todd
#2
Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:49 AM
Could it have been a Marusan body that got mixed up with the Atlas interior? I'm at the office too, so can't check my boxes, but all I remember is the first one you describe, with the separate chrome bits...
Don
#3
Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:55 AM
As you will read in the book, Atlas sold much of its inventory to Auto World and it is Auto World that liquidated the bodies by themselves in "grab bags" through the early 1970s.
Philippe de Lespinay
#4
Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:40 AM
I've no doubt, per TSR, that this was never in the actual kit. I've had a few and only seen the standard body. But there is no doubt this body, whether made by/produced for Atlas or by an aftermarket vendor, it was intended in its design to fit on this exact chassis.
It's pretty cool, actually, as it does have a bit more of a competition look, and with all of the usual frail bits molded in it is a lot more durable.
#5
Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:00 PM
But I know this car was purchased in kit form new in the Atlas Ford GT box by my father from a Milwaukee, WI, department store for the price of .97 cents. The car and box have always been together and it was the only Atlas car in my Dad's fleet.
We discussed this variant maybe ten years ago on OWH and I supplied photos at that time. The car itself is still in very good condition and the box still contains the wheel inserts on the blue parts sprue, the assemby instructions, and Atlas oiler.
#6
Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:49 PM
IS the box top or sides marked with an Auto World rubber stamp?
Your kit is directly from Atlas, was a very rare model issued that way, because in 40 years I have seen LOTS of them, but never one with the "series 2" Body.
Auto World of course took over the manufacturing of these kits until the supply was exhausted, but again, the only way I have see that body (and always molded in blue) was in those "Grab Bags".
Thanks for the info, I guess never say never!
Philippe de Lespinay
#8
Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:28 PM
It has been a long time.
The box has no Auto World markings. I wanted to take a second look at the instruction sheet because of the differences in the trim pieces of the two bodies and I found an interesting insert confirming this kits identity.
It states, and the following is exact..
"CHROME PART IN THIS NEWER VERSION OF THE FAMOUS
FORD-GT HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED FOR A MORE RUGGED
RACING CONSTRUCTION. PLANS FOR ASSEMBLY REMAIN THE SAME.
ATLAS TOOL CO INC."
#9
Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:40 PM
Now the LASCM will have to find one more MIB kit...
Philippe de Lespinay
#10
Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:25 AM
This body is white, but also the blue version was available. So it seems Marusan, Atlas, and Faller were all the same in the mold pattern department.
But where were these bodies actually produced; Japan, USA, or Germany? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'd say Japan...
Overseas Observer
#11
Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:05 AM
Those little front "side dams" are fascinating - but not very aerodynamic!
Don
#12
Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:27 AM
Actually they were. When the Ford GT program was taken away from the FAV UK organization and given to Carroll Shelby in California, immediate tests were conducted and it was found that the cars lifted at speed. The addition of vertical dams under the nose and on the sides of it greatly reduced the lift issue and the cars won their next race at Daytona with these implements... also used at Sebring before a new nose offering the same down force with less drag was fitted.
Drag is a drag, but lift is worse!
Philippe de Lespinay
#13
Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:58 PM
#14
Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:16 PM
Indeed because all Faller did was to purchase most of the Atlas inventory when Atlas ended their slot car involvement, and of course Atlas got their stuff from Marusan.But where were these bodies actually produced; Japan, USA, or Germany? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'd say Japan..
And I have now seen more Atlas "series 2" bodies in white, with... blue interior.
Interesting that the Faller kit has the chrome bits too, since only the wire wheel inserts can be used, but the real car had cast mags by the time it got its body mods!...
Oh well, accuracy was not a prime concern of slot car manufacturers then.
Philippe de Lespinay

















