Photo

Aurora "Data Race" control instructions?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Does anyone have a copy on the instrution sheet(s) for the Aurora "Data Race" Computer Controlled Racing Center or can someone tell me how this system is meant to be operated ?

Thanks,

Gary

#2 Robert Blaschke

Robert Blaschke

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hi Gary,
It may take me a couple of days to find them but I do have a copy.
RB

#3 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Thanks Robert, I have now gotten the instructions in my email and I have tried out all the features. I have converted the unit to work on a Strombecker 1/32 scale track and although I already made one "trigger" track, I will now make another one without the "pit stop " feature. The instructions show each driver getting 90 gals of fuel and uses it up faster, the faster they race , until they run out and have to go back to the "pit" and refuel.This might be fun but I am not really interested in using this feature. My main interest in the unit is to time laps and it does this either when counting laps or just shows lap times and remembers the fastest lap. So far it is working great.
Thanks Again for your offer .
Regards Gb

#4 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

Is this the same as a Computrac?
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#5 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

The Data Race computer was made around 1979 for 2 lane Aurora sets , counts laps, times laps to 1/10 of a second , remembers each lanes fastest lap, counts down to start, deducts 1 lap if you jump the start, has an option for a sound module which has a gunshot sound for starting, and it has a program which gives each driver 90 gal. of fuel which is used up faster, the faster you drive. If you run out you no longer count laps until you pull into the pit lane and press a switch which refills your car. It also has some sort of sound for the finish but I don't have a sound module yet. I fitted it to a Strombecker track 1/32- 1/24 scales and have been experimenting with various wiring setups. I have bypassed the fuel program because we never raced like that, and it requires a seperate pit lane strip and may contribute to a problem of controllers crossing over to both lanes. So far the most fun has been the lap timer which has helped in car set up and tuning, and lets you race against the track record . That being said , what is a Computrac ?

#6 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

It was sold in two lane Tjet race sets, late 60's exclusivly by Sears. It allowed a single racer to compete with a pace car. In the ad in sears catalog it says the computer punches the straight , slows for corners. It went for$29.77. A rare piece , I've never seen one
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

Electric Dreams Online Shop