• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

I have a box of motors I bought a while ago. It has various "padlock" style motors as well as some Ram arms and an assortment of 64 pitch Weldun gears. Some of the motors have been modified, Looks like a drag racers dream.My question is how do I tell which brand the motors are. One is marked Pittman and others look just like it but are unmarked. Could some of these be Ram motors? Did Strombecker make this type of motor too? There are a bunch of loose thin laminations too. Are these from a Ram 857? Is Pittman the only one who marked the motors? I can add pics if needed.

Joe Lupo

#2 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

I expect that there are some Ram parts there. The thin laminations were only on 857s as far as I know, and yes, Strombecker cloned these motors as well. From the examples I ahev, it seems that only the Pittmans are marked. I am not an expert but I have some of these and can look closer if needed. Pics would be nice, too!
dc
David Cummerow

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

I can confirm the above: only Pittman marked their motors, and only Ram had the thin laminations. For the motors themselves, the biggest difference is that PIttman had 5-pole arms, while Ram had 7-pole arms! They both used red wire, while Strombecker "Destroyer" used green wire with a sort of red epoxy or other cap, like on their inline motors.

The endplates and regular laminations are almost identical - photos later this evening...

Don

#4 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Here are the photos of the three motors in question, MIB.

The Pittman DC-85A-6

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Ram DC-850 6V

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pittman DC-85A on the left, Ram DC-850 on the right:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pittman DC-84-6V, the next generation, which actually seems to have come out after all this was over and the Ram was already largely dominant... Seems to have epoxied windings at commutator end, instead of the usual Pittman "cap"...

Posted Image

And the DC-84-6 again, with its competitor, the Ram DC-857 6V

Posted Image

The Ram DC-857 again, and next to the 850:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another shot of the 857

Posted Image

The 850 and 857 with the only markings I could see on them:

Posted Image

And the Strombecker "Destroyer", pretty much a carbon copy of the earlier motors, except for the green windings!

Posted Image
  • McAllister likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop