• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Don't know if anybody has interest in these old publications. I have amassed quite a few over the years. Let me know if you want to see more of this type of thing.

Lets start with "The Complete Handbook of Model Car racing" By Aurora. Like most of these from the day it is a general overview of the hobby at the time. Of course, by the time it was printed and distributed much of the info was outdated. In tribute to Aurora the information is very unbiased and shows the attributes of other manufacturers products. No author is credited but it looks like Braverman's thumb in some of the pics. :laugh2:

There's a nice article on building a wire chassis that culminates with a very pretty McLaren.

slotblog 142.jpg

slotblog 143.jpg

slotblog 144.jpg

Joe Lupo

#2 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Joe,

I've got a collection of them myself, from books like yours, Auto World catalogs to Car Model type magazines. They're a great source of info and inspiration. Great how to's and super photography all add to the old slot car hobby !!!

Thanks for bringing up the subject ! I alway wanted to stage a "Cover Car" type contest/project with the C.A.R.S. club...that McLaren in your pics is doable with all the stuff on the market today !!!

Pete L.
Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Did you see this Joe?
http://www.slotforum...opic=52366&st=0

I put in the link for SlotForum, but pretty sure I posted this on SlobBlog as well - the search function didn't find any Library!

You're right, the Aurora handbook is one of the better ones, and it's definitely by Braverman - maybe with a little help from his friends! Like you say, these books are obsolete as soon as they come out, almost by definition, but they're still fascinating to read. And now they're a good source of information!

Don

#4 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

I have a couple of those too. Love them as well and I could be persuaded to take part in a contest like that Pete! :)

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#5 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Pete, I was thinking the same thing. Parts could be assembled at minimum cost to make a nice replica.

Don, Thanks for that. I must admit I rarely go to Slot Forum. Should I only list things not already shown there? Give me some input guys.

" Love them as well and I could be persuaded to take part in a contest like that Pete!"
JAIRUS IN - I'M OUT :dash2: :laugh2:

Joe Lupo

#6 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Only, I wouldn't call it contest exactly. More like a "Build off" with no clear winner and no racing. Maybe we can do it this winter to give time for some of us to get the necessary parts together. Anyway, that's the subject for another thread.

Joe, I think the "Vintage" section of S.F. might be the place. Lott'a old guys hang out there posting cool old stuff with lots of history already present. What you are posting is very interesting. (Vitter used to do that...)

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#7 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

J, After I read my post I see it was not clear. What I was asking was should I post things that were not in Slot Forum thread here? Or should I just keep going as it is and post what I have. I don't have enough energy to do both sites.

Of course you know that "I'm out " was a compliment. I have no problem trying my hand at this type of build although it would be my first.

1. We could set down a loose set ( let's keep it fun ) set of rules.
2. Perhaps an advertiser or body guy could supply the same bodies to all interested.
3. We could have a peoples choice, best craftsmanship, best paint award etc. as judged by the blog members, Greg could keep balloting anonymous to avoid controversy.
4. Perhaps small awards or prizes can be given.

Lets make the rules by commitee or you can set them down. We need to find a suitable reasonably priced body. I know you are very busy. How does everyone fell about it?

Joe Lupo

#8 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Only, I wouldn't call it contest exactly. More like a "Build off" with no clear winner and no racing. Maybe we can do it this winter to give time for some of us to get the necessary parts together. Anyway, that's the subject for another thread.

Joe, I think the "Vintage" section of S.F. might be the place. Lott'a old guys hang out there posting cool old stuff with lots of history already present. What you are posting is very interesting. (Vitter used to do that...)

Fellas,

Good idea about winter "build off", and which thread would be appropriate...how about 1/24 Scale Vintage Cars Amature ?

Pete L.
Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#9 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Joe,
How about 70`s Parma Catalogs?