117 replies to this topic

#101 johnford

johnford

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:09 PM

Now THAT'S a picture worthy of being on a magazine cover... Now if we just knew someone with a magazine... :D :rolleyes: ;) ...

John Ford
3/11/44-11/20/20
Requiescat in Pace

#102 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

Dennis,

Yes, I was pretty sure I'd seen that M6A before; I've seen some of their previous posts on Slotblog!. Such enthusiasm seems to be pervasive in the clubs, whereas the commercial slot racers tend to be more about "speed" and "racing". Don't get me wrong, I like "speed" and "racing", too; it's just a shame that this other factor ("looks") seems to be mostly missing.

I recently read the old "Car Model" rules for their slot racing series back in the mid-'60s('66? '67?). It was stipulated in the rules just how detailed the cars had to be; amazing. I guess the attitude was "Well, after ALL, they ARE model cars so they should LOOK like model cars!"

Now THAT'S a picture worthy of being on a magazine cover... Now if we just knew someone with a magazine... :D :rolleyes: ;) ...

Good one, John! :laugh2: If I may be so bold as to ask, why won't you cut/paste our D3/Retro race reports from these forums and put them in SARN?
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#103 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hey, someone with a magazine!

The owner of the photos is a fellow called Werner, who owns Ace Hobbies in Brisbane, Australia.

I'm sure if you asked him, he would not only send you photos, but probably also race reports. He is the mover and shaker of the series I was referring to.

His email address is: acehobbies "at" bigpond.com (obviously replace the "at" with @)

On another point, does Slot Car Speedway & Hobbies in Loveland, CO, distribute SARN? If so, I can send you the race reports for the Rocky Mountain Retro Can-Am series. That way, the locals will get to see their faces in print.
Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#104 johnford

johnford

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:31 PM

Good one, John! If I may be so bold as to ask, why won't you cut/paste our D3/Retro race reports from these forums and put them in SARN?

One of the problems I have with removing items from the various blogs is that I am not the one who knows what parts of a story are important. Also, if someone sends me the article and pics via normal email, I can't forget to put it in the magazine. At 63, Oldtimers syndrome is really setting in. Email is the only way to guarantee an article will make the magazine. All articles in each issue have been sent to me by someone including the TXD3 report from ROMS which had your ugly mug in it... :shok:

On another point, does Slot Car Speedway & Hobbies in Loveland CO distribute SARN? If so, I can send you the race reports for the Rocky Mountain Retro Can-Am series. That way, the locals will get to see their faces in print.

Yes, Slot Car Speedway in Loveland as well as Slot Car City in Grand Junction are both distributors of the magazine and race reports are always welcome... keep 'em short and keep 'em coming... :)

John Ford
3/11/44-11/20/20
Requiescat in Pace

#105 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:40 PM

John,

You need the content, HERE IT IS. Simply pick what you want. The reports are short and concise, select the pics you want, copy and paste, DONE.

Upgraded twice a month. What else can we do???

Philippe de Lespinay

#106 Vay Jonynas

Vay Jonynas

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:52 AM

Some guys aren't artistically gifted, so maybe I should paint up some of this stuff and put it in the cabinet for sale...

I think there might be even more of a market for fully-painted interiors than bodies. Painting interiors looks to be even more challenging with all the little details and in a fashion less rewarding since they end up being largely hidden inside the car.

:unsure:

Flatheads_Forever_small.jpg?width=1920&h

#107 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:04 AM

Vay,

You may be right. I know from experience that painting and detailing an interior is a time-consuming endeavor. It probably takes me as long to "do" an interior as it does to do the body itself... maybe longer sometimes.

On the other hand, I know someone that does all of his interiors strictly with Sharpie markers. He says it's quick, easy, no cleanup mess, and they look good, too!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#108 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,799 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

I want a smiling smedlap interior. :D
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#109 olderracer

olderracer

On The Lead Lap

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:06 PM

You guys are absolutely right.

I'll typically spend an hour masking, laying-out graphics and color scheme, and then spraying a body. Next I'll spend from an hour (GTP-type) to two hours (NASCAR type) detailing the interior. GT1 bodies with molded-in drivers get the driver "figure" painted first and masked from underneath before painting. (Some of these blobs are nearly impossible to get the "driver" to look even halfway decent though.) Indy/F1 bodies get the cockpit cut out and a 3D driver mounted.

If I'm going to add real heavy detail to a NASCAR (on-board camera, full roll cage, shift lever, and so on), that adds another hour at least.

Incidentally, I find it MUCH easier to paint a clear interior from the inside than to paint an opaque interior from the top. The only drawback is that the driver's uniform gets a glossy finish. I usually can minimize this by painting sleeve and chest stripes with flat enamels from the top and then add the stitching with a fine-line marker.

The three-dimensional driver figures (like Cox and Revell) are duck soup - 20 minutes usually gets it done.

Also, I usually mount the bodies before painting.

Regards,
Jack Beers
1948-2020
Requiescat in Pace

#110 johnford

johnford

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

John,

Upgraded twice a month. What else can we do???

Send me an email reminder when a new one is uploaded... Or, I'll forget to do it... Sorry, but it works that way these days... :)

John Ford
3/11/44-11/20/20
Requiescat in Pace

#111 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

I want a smiling smedlap interior :D

As soon as I find out who Smedlap is, and why he is smiling, I'll make you one!
Richard L. Hofer

#112 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

Send me an email reminder when a new one is uploaded... Or, I'll forget to do it... Sorry, but it works that way these days...

You got a deal, old man! :D

Philippe de Lespinay

#113 Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

I know this is years later and the organa post started about WOMPS /1/32 cars. I'm personal trying to start a 5 to 12 year old starer WOMP racing program here in new jersey. Calling it "jersey Legends" on Friday nights in Mount Holly, NJ if any one wishes to donate a Womp Or unused controllers. This would make it easier to get some of the poorer kids involved. Anyone that donates a wimp or controller we will keep them at the track so if the kid doesn't come back they will be used for other kids that come along. We are using AWRA rules except for the motor. we are using a 25k rpm rental motor made by JK. not to slow and not to fast. Legends Bodies. You can contact me for more info or if you wish to start the same program in your state. I would be glad to help anyone. I can give you leads that i have also. Thanks and keep the WOMPS rolling. And one more thing . DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY WE CALL THEM WOMPS?

#114 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,334 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

Hi Shawn, the story I've always heard is that they're called WOMPS  because that's the sound they make when they deslot & hit a track's side walls. I have no idea if that's true or not. :)

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#115 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

The story I was told was ken saw a rat fink style. hot rod t shirt with a car with big tires and headers and the words womp womp over the headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#116 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY WE CALL THEM WOMPS?

Shawn,
You asked the question about 3 months ago and it was answered in this thread.

http://slotblog.net/...omp#entry671616

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#117 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

Sharpies are the best for interiors I have found so far.  Spray bomb the interior white, let dry.  Then...black, red, blue, silver...tons of choice.  Zip, zop a couple of stripes, couple of colors and you are done!  Anything more than 5 minutes on an interior is 4 minutes too many.  Since I generally paint the windows I seldom have to deal with interiors.  Local rules often term interiors as "optional" or say nothing at all.  YMMV.

Mark Bauer

#118 Vay Jonynas

Vay Jonynas

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:36 PM

Homeset versus Commercial... the debate continues... LOL

Most do not like to run 1/32 plastic cars on tracks designed for 1/24 cars.

I never had any problem running 1/32 plastic cars on a big full size track. I preferred running my cars (any cars!) on a full size "real" track!

:)

Flatheads_Forever_small.jpg?width=1920&h

Electric Dreams Online Shop