• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iborg

iborg

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

I saw in a couple of postings, the Mabuchi M20 referenced. Apparently the FFM20VA/VK has neo magnets.

I'm not able to locate it useing the posted links.

Anyone have a current source?

Thanks,

Mike
Youth my be fleeting but immaturity can be forever...

Mike Ditchen

#2 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Mike, welcome to Slotblog. 

Both Surplus Traders and Alltronics ran out of stock of these with the neo mags a year or so ago. I very much wish I bought a crapload of them. I am down to about a half dozen with neo mags. The poly mag version is out there but very pricey. I just got some in... It is plenty powerful as it is rated at 1.5 volts and will eat itself up it if run over 12 without load. In a car with a 15 ohm 1/2 watt choke resister it will have plenty of power but you give up brakes to the cars with neo motors. We have had sucess with 2.5-3 volt rated motors.

Myself, I am trying to make FF-M10 VA work. .5 W of power from 3 grams! They have poly mags but I am trying to make the car handle good enough and to hell with the brakes. No choke and in an anglewinder car they really handle sweet,with a low CG.

Keep looking! I am looking to buy some and if needed will buy 1K if needed to get the proper specification. The 3 volt version with the neo mags would be a perfect HO scale version of the TSR/Slick 7 Falcon that has done so much for 1/24 racing.

I have spent a lot of time on multiple search engines with no luck lately. Maybe at some point someone will bust some out. Lets hope!
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#3 iborg

iborg

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

How does the FFM20VA/VK compare to the FF-N20PN? I'll admit I'm trying to learn the alphabet soup of these motors.

Thanks,

Mike
Youth my be fleeting but immaturity can be forever...

Mike Ditchen

#4 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Mike  The N20 is bigger than the M20.   It is 10 mm high so that is the same as the classic HT 50 and modern SH series Mabuchi motors but much narrower at 12mm and weighs 5 gms  versus over 10 gms for the big block motors. So they enjoy a great size and weight advantage over the old stuff The N20 has plenty of torque and giddyup to propel the non mag downforce cars and probably are up to task for some modest magnet downforce.. The magnets (polymer) are a bit lax will not provide the best of braking action.

The best application for this motor may be in a dragster like you see here.

dragster w motors.jpg

Now the midsize motor in the forefront is a M20 sized motor but with polymer mags. It is rated @1.5 volts and if you just touch it to 18 volts ,you just waisted  $4.   It must be run under load and with a choke.. In a car with 1/2W 15 ohm choke.  they seem to work fine to propel the cars way fast but alas it has lax brakes.  I do not like these as I do not like a car that a customer can easily blow up just by lifting the rear tires and flooring the throttle. You may want to try a dozen or so if you dont mind getting ripped by Digi-Key.

The smallest motor in the pic is a FF-M10VA  :)

Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
My link

#5 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

<p>Here is a M10 in a HO Retro racer. It is 8mm high 10mm wide and 12mm long and fits nicely in inline and anglewinder configuration.</p>
<p>ls INLINE  M10.jpg </p>
<p>These are a bit stressed for our application. Some motors are up to the task but many vibrate and dont do well pushed to the necessary level we need..But the ones that do will reward with great motor placement advantages. I have gotten to where I am now testing these without choke to get the performance I look for. We are just starting testing these but something must be done if we cannot get M20 motors in the spec we want.</p>
Al Thurman
My link

#6 RichKraft

RichKraft

Vintage Buff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

big aL'

sometime when you get a moment in time.

i would love to purchase 2 of your dragsters and 2 of your road runner' roundy- rounds' allsew.

just a heads up. kneed them 4 my raceway.

Rich Austin:
"it's just Rich$Kraft"
*choppers and hotrods*

Electric Dreams Online Shop