Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Gar-Vic Enterprises, Inc. Bodies

Gar Vic Bodies 13 Nov 2009.jpg

Gar Vic definitely ended up in the Thingie business, but it apparently didn't start out that way! Their McLaren II is a reasonable if not recognizable scale body, and the "Firebird GTX1000" was supposed to be Gar Vic's version of General Motors' experimental division turbine powered "Laboratory on Wheels". As though it were some sort of an attempt to bridge the gap between scale cars and Thingies...

Meanwhile in 1966 the Thingie craze was in full swing, and this was not lost on Gar Vic. Batmobiles were hot, so Gar Vic repainted their Firebird a gold color, put some stickers on it and re-named it the "Bat Car".

Gar Vic's other offerings, the Coronado the Ocelot and even the X-Stream for example, retained a semblance of reality; more like a "fantasy car" than an outright Thingie, but under market pressure Gar Vic's paradigm was changing. If anyone out there has photos of Gar Vic's "Lunar" and is willing to share them, I would be quick to post them up here.

With the introduction of the "Sonic Needle", Gar Vic completed its metamorphosis into a full fledged Thingie manufacturer.

Then the Thingie craze collapsed.

Some photos and scans:

Gar Vic McLaren a.jpg

Gar Vic Firebird GTX1000.jpg

Gar Vic McLaren b.jpg

MCT V3N4 Apr 66 p72.jpg MCT V3N5 May 66 p8.jpg

CM V4N12 Jul 66 p83.jpg MCT V3N7 Jul 66 p8.jpg

MCT V3N12 Dec 66 p40a.jpg

MCT V3N12 Dec 66 p40.jpg

Gar Vic Sonic Needle a.jpg

Gar Vic Sonic Needle b.jpg

• Z-28 Man likes this

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,308 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

A little requested help:

The Lunar in its ultra rare kit version:

gv121.jpg

The also rare Sonic Needle with the spare bodies:

gv128.jpg

gv128_1.jpg

You are talking true rarities here... I have only seen one of each in over 25 years, and yes, I DO get out more often... :)

It is hard to assess if the McLaren MK2 was marketed only as a body or also as a RTR, and for each, in which packaging form? I believe that these painted bodies were the next product but were never released before the company tanked, and ended at REH or on the open market "loose", but it is easy to stick a chassis to them since the mounting holes are already punched.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

Electric Dreams Online Shop