Steve Okeefe

The Independent Scratchbuilder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hammerhead Thingies

Page 4

While I was playing around with different ideas for the side pan hinge arrangements on this chassis, I considered the idea of including a plumber hinge. Trouble was, this is supposed to be a vintage 1968 chassis, and the plumber hinge hadn't been invented yet! Sorry, no plumber hinge.

On the other hand, the concept of loosely attached (klunker) chassis parts, like side pans hinged using .055" (1.4 mm) piano wire in 3/32" (2.38 mm) brass tubing was, even in 1968, certainly nothing new.  John Cukras had in fact been playing around with this very idea for side pans in his early anglewinder chassis, and I used it in my original Hammerhead design.

70. Cukras Klunker Side Pans.jpg

71. Cukras Klunker Close Up.jpg

In addition, there was the Iso Fulcrum hinge idea, already a couple of years old in 1968.

72. La Cucaracha MCR L.jpg

73. La Cucaracha MCR.jpg

74. La Cucaracha MCR R.jpg

So, how could I achieve the function of a plumber hinge without actually using a hinge?  Maybe cross the Iso Fulcrum idea with Cukras' "klunker" side pans, and then take it one step further with a kind of "Klunker Reverse Iso"?  (A what?)  Read on...

First a drawing to satisfy myself that all the parts will fit together:

75. 68E Okeefe Hammerhead.jpg

Note that while this chassis is similar to the original Hammerhead design on the previous page, their are significant differences, so I will call this one "version 3" (v.3), which of course, makes the previous one "version 2".  What happened to "version 1"?  I didn't like the way the design was developing, so it never went past the concept stage; I didn't even create a drawing.

After cutting another nose piece, I built up the center section:

76. Over-under Top Qtr.jpg

77. Over-Under Top.jpg

78. Over-under Bottom Qtr.jpg

79. Over-Under Bottom.jpg

The two main rails (on each side) are stacked one on top of the other, instead of side by side, as in the original Hammerhead design. This was done to increase the "beam" strength of the center section, to make it as narrow as possible, and to give the rear floppy "hinge" tube, which is rectangular, a good solid anchor point.

The "Klunker Reverse Iso" hinge rods are pieces of 1/16" (1.59 mm) piano wire (didn't even need to use .055"!).  They fit into the 3/32" (2.36 mm) square brass tube "pocket" at the front, and the 3/16" by 3/32" (4.76 by 2.36 mm) rectangular tube at the back. Note there is no "traditional" plumber hinge.

80. Over-Under Rails Top.jpg

Now, add the bat wing side pans:

81. OU with pans 01.jpg

82. OU with pans 02.jpg

As you can see, the front axle hinge tubes are not attached to the center section, instead they are attached to the side pans, and are part of the "Klunker Reverse Iso" chassis subsection.

Now, to illustrate how it works:

83. OU Pan Full Down.jpg

84. OU Pans Floppy Tilt.jpg

85. OU Plumber Action.jpg

Finishing out the chassis, I add the side pan up and down stops, and the front end suspension.

Top and bottom views:

86. OU Top.jpg

87. OU Bottom.jpg

An isometric and side view:

88. OU Left Qtr.jpg

89. OU Right Side.jpg

And a couple of detail shots:

90. OU Floppy Detail.jpg

91. OU Front End Detail.jpg

There are two .032" (0.79 mm) spring wires on each side, the outboard wire is for front wheel suspension and operates in a torsion (twisting) mode. The inboard wire springs (pushes) the "Klunker Reverse Iso" movement down, and operates in a bending mode, similar to downward sprung side pans. The side pans themselves are, however, not sprung at all.

Simple... right?  :wacko2: 

• MarcusPHagen and One27ray like this

Steve Okeefe

I build what I likes, and I likes what I build

#2 Paul's Slots

Paul's Slots

Pauls Slots

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:29 AM

Its nice to see some differant ideas, and very nice work! I'm.working on iso chassis design...keep up the beautiful work A+++++
Paul Painter

#3 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

The Independent Scratchbuilder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

Thanks, Paul  :hi:

In designing and building this chassis I was experimenting with new and different ideas, basically variations on what was then current practice.  It is almost certainly more complicated than is necessary, so I'm sure some folks look at it as a sort of Rube Goldberg creation.  :laugh2:

Steve Okeefe

I build what I likes, and I likes what I build

Electric Dreams Online Shop