• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Lange

Jim Lange

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

A while back I saw a thread or post on other brands of rotary tools that guys have had good luck with. My Dremel 800 (which I love) has bad bearings and I plan to fix it but meanwhile I need another. The one I'm interested in was yellow but it was not DeWalt. It was praised by many of you. Any clues?? Thanks

#2 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Prox something......................

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#3 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have a Ryobi....much heavier in construction than a Dremel and has variable speed and a 3 jaw chuck.  I don't have to fumble with dfferent collets.

Unfortunately it seems to be discontinued, but they last had it in a combo set with one of the "vibratory" multi-tools.  They are listed on ebay for around $35-$45. 

"Whatever..."

#4 zipper

zipper

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

proxxon28472.jpg Proxxon is green with yellow trim I think.
Pekka Sippola

#5 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,915 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hi Jim,

Here's a post I did....yikes :shok: .....at the start of the great recession back in 2008! Anywho, I replaced my tired old Dremel that served me well with a neato Foredom workbench unit. It's been terrific for the last 5 years and I love the quick change hand pieces. It's not cheap but it would probably be the last one you ever buy.

Rick

Two years, four months, and six days from now I plan on retiring (but who's counting biggrin.gif ). Money is going to be tight for sure so I've decided to do my part now and buy at least one neato scratchbuilding tool per month while I can. This will also help pull our "sluggish" economy out of the current "slowdown". unsure.gif

Last month I got a Hudy comm lathe that most are familiar with:

Adams888008.jpg

This month I decided to upgrade my 20-year-old workhorse Dremel tool:

Foredom005.jpg

It still works but the sheath is all cracked and the two-wrench collet change system is a pain to use. There is also a ton of run-out in it. So after snooping around on woodworking and jewelry making forums I decided on a medium duty unit. If my cheapo Dremel has served me well for 20 years this new job should do me fine. It's a:

Foredom003.jpg

Here are the goodies:

Foredom001.jpg

I also bought the adjustable motor hanger and handpiece holder. It's all mounted to the workbench and I'm pretty happy with it:

Foredom009.jpg

Foredom008.jpg

I still need to trim the wire ties once I'm happy with the motor height adjustment. I also bought the optional $14 super flexible neoprene sheath for the flex shaft. This is probably the only time you'll want a limp shaft :shok: but believe me it makes controlling the hand piece a dream wink.gif . There must be a dozen different style quick change handpieces available too.

Here's where I bought it:

Otto Frei

This place has some cool things. Check out their jewelers work benches wub.gif .

Oh no, more bad news in the stock market. I'd better buy something else to help out! Bush doesn't have to worry about me not spending my credit from the stimulus package.

Where's the check? I need a mini lathe smile.gif .

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#6 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

This Dremel 4200 looks like a good choice.

http://www.dremel.co...l.aspx?pid=4200

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#7 Chris Barnes

Chris Barnes

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Does it matter if it is corded or cordless?

#8 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

The Proxxon is very smooth, and the cordless Milwaukee is a beast.

David Cummerow

#9 Gary Adams

Gary Adams

Old 'N Slow

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

I have had great success with my Black & Decker RTX-B three speed rotary tool. Lots of grunt for not a whole lot of bucks, and I love the locking mechanism!

• team burrito and Duffy like this
Gary Adams
11/17/49-1/30/24
Requiescat in Pace

#10 team burrito

team burrito

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

I have had great success with my Black & Decker RTX-B three speed rotary tool. Lots of grunt for not a whole lot of bucks, and I love the locking mechanism!

Yeah & it's under thirty bucks at Home Depot. I got mine a couple of years ago & never use it any higher than the "slow" setting. It's got enough power to cut through piano wire & brass. Check it here: http://www.homedepot...#specifications
Russ Toy (not Troy)
First Place Loser in the JK Products
International D3 Builders Competition

#11 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

I have a Proxxon variable speed.  Bought it from Amazon I think. 

I like the jacobs chuck.  You can change out from a cut off disc to to a sanding drum and back in no time.  Lots of umph.  I like the variable speed because you can turn it down for polishing shortened rod prior to soldering, low for use of a drum for grinding tire clearance on bodies, or high speed for chopping rod. Also the location of the ON/OFF switch lets you turn it on and off with your little finger when picking up and setting down in a single motion. 

When I use my two speed Dremel at the track it almost feels primitive.

#12 Phil Irvin

Phil Irvin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I would like a cordless. I have a 4.2 V Dremel and a bigger one corded at home for the big stuff. Mostly I use a cordless and would like a better one. Any ideas?

OLPHRT

PHIL I.

#13 Chris Barnes

Chris Barnes

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

The reason I asked about corded/cordless is I have the Milwaukee M12 and it is like boxerdog said - a beast.  The smoothest running unit I have ever found.  Long battery life.  I got used up at the R4 cutting through a lock to get cars out of the adjacent parking lot, where a dremel just died.  It is bigger than a portable dremel, but it is so reliable, I don't notice.

Link to see it:

http://www.cpomilwau...min=75&pmax=100

#14 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Check Amazon for ANY of these tools---they've got great pricing--and a LOT of selection!
FYI
T

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#15 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

I've been using the Proxxon for quite a while now and have been completely satisfied.  The Dremel (any model) is, unfortunately a total piece of doo-doo, and they've pretty much run their good name into the dirt.  The electronics (speed control) of the Dremel's routinely fail and, between the speed control failures, the bearings go.  The Dremel's run rough and loud, so rough and loud that the Proxxon seems to barely be "on" in comparison.   If my Proxxon goes, I'll definitely get another.

-john

John Havlicek

#16 Jim Lange

Jim Lange

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Proxxon is the name I was looking for. The Dremel Model 800 (which I presently have) is the original version of the 8000 series and I've been very happy with it. With 10.2 volts it has lots of power and the lithium-ion battery lasts a long time. I also was looking at the Milwaukee M12, glad to hear it has good reviews. I'm waiting to hear back from dremel customer service about getting some bearings for it. Thanks for the input guys.

#17 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

I just ordered an M 12--Check it out at the track next time Jim!! Came with a FREE  bonus battery for $99.00 and free shipping.

FYI
Tim

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#18 Jim Lange

Jim Lange

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Cool! Let me know how long the battery lasts and how good the power is.

#19 Elite Racing Products

Elite Racing Products

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:03 AM

i am looking to get a proxxon and was just today looking for reviews .. i do alote of honing out cobalt mags and i do not like how much wobble there is in my dremels ... i have the stylus dremel and then the dremel 8200 .. they just are not the quality of my old dremel 395 which is about 11 years old but is wobbling way to much to hone mags with ... i picked up a milwaukee M12 about 5 months ago and its very very nice but to large for honing IMO

i am selling the M12 if someone wants one .. comes with battery and charger that does the 12 & 18 volt batteries

can i run the proxxon off my power supplie ? i have kopriwa power supplies .. or do i need to buy one of the proxxon power supplies ?

thanks

Carl M. Labbadia Jr AKA C.J.

#20 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hi Carl,

I still have my first Proxxon and it has been a real workhorse...cutting heavy brass, tool steel, even heavy cutting of ceramic magnets.  I use the 110V tool though, so I have no experience with the low-voltage (DC) models.  Still, the literature says that the power supply must supply at least 1 amp (no problem at all there) and the tool runs at anywhere from 12-18V...so your power supply may not put out enough voltage while easily supplying enough current.  The neat thing about their DC models is that they're very slim, almost a "pen" design, which should make them very nice to work with.  They're also cheap...IF...you don't have to buy the power supply.  I'd be interested to see how you like the DC model if you get one.

-john

John Havlicek

#21 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

I have one, and I really like it when I don't need a portable tool.

David Cummerow

#22 Chris Dadds

Chris Dadds

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Prox something......................

Maybe Proxon?

Should have read the whole thread before I replied.

Edited by Chris Dadds, 30 June 2013 - 07:09 PM.

Chris Dadds, Track Builder

812-219-6771

#23 Craig

Craig

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hey Jim,

I'll throw in my two cent worth on this thread.  I use more than one dremel for building....I have a 4000, 800, minimite (4.8 volt) and an older flex shaft model with foot pedal.  I like them all for different operations.  I use the flex shaft when cutting a lot of brass such as when I hand cut nose pieces.  I find the corded 4000 model gets quite hot when continually running it for long preiods of time.  When I'm building I prefer to use the cordless 800 for cutting wire, tubing and other small items.  I use the minimite for doing all the counter boring, counter sinks and general tubing ID clean up.  The 4000 is typically only used when the battery on the 800 dies however, it's a very smooth running tool and when I purchased it Sears made an error and only charged me $60.00 for the kit.

Build on my padawan.....

Craig Correia
11/27/57-8/12/22
Requiescat in Pace

#24 Kehlo

Kehlo

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hi Carl,

I use the Proxxon with a Kopriva since 2007 without any problems.

Christian
Christian Kehl

#25 GearBear

GearBear

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

I love my Proxxon's! BUT I would NEVER use one to hone my magnets! For that task I use my Makita 18v Cordless drill on the slow setting while under the running faucet being careful to keep the drill chuck dry. The rotary tools just don't have enough grunt to hone magents IMHO, plus they turn too fast even at the slowest setting.

I have the Micromot 50 and the IBE and love both of them. They are so smoooth! The Micromot is powered with my power supply.

Gary Johnson

Electric Dreams Online Shop