32 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Embedding a YouTube video in your Slotblog post, so that it plays the video when viewed rather than just shows the link to the video at YouTube, is almost trivial, but you have to get the correct link for the blog's software to recognize that it is a YouTube video and embed it.

If you go to YouTube and search for a video, once that video is playing on your screen, just copy the URL of the page from your browser's address bar.

It should have a format like this (extra periods added to keep the link from activating):

http:.//.www..youtube..com/watch?v=rWzUsW18k3c

If I remove the extra periods, this is what appears from the above URL:

There will be times when you have a working YouTube link that IP.Board doesn't "recognize", as there are mutiple YouTube link formats in use. Simply go to the YouTube homepage, search for the title of the video you wish to post, and follow the above instructions, i.e. when it is playing for you on the YouTube website, copy that URL and paste it into your post. 

• Jocke P likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

Members are welcome to test this procedure in this thread.

Simply copy the the URL above with the extra four periods in it, and paste it into a post.

Then edit to remove the four extra period, click the post button, and see what you get.

I'll clean up after ya as needed...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,825 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Here goes Greg:

Onward!

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

See, Rick, it does work!

Gregory Wells

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:54 AM

It seems my instructions here need a bit more clarification, as several folks have recently had difficulty posting YouTube videos so they embed.

The key issue seems to be that when they go to post videos, they paste the YouTube URL as a link, rather as a bare URL.

Let me illustrate, using the YouTube video link in post #3 above.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SKRma7PDW10

This is the video link posted as a "clickable link". The blue color and underlining indicates this is a link that when clicked goes to that video.

The underlying code for this blue line looks like this (with the code "crippled" using "hxxp" and curly quotes instead of brackets so the code won't activate).

{url=hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10}hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10{/url}

The correct way to post the YouTube link is to paste it in as a bare URL, not as a "clickable link".

The URL needs to pasted in simply like this, again with "crippling" so it won't activate.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

If I simply replace the two X's with T's in the line above, the video embeds.

Gregory Wells

#6 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Greg or anyone,

Please tell me if these two work or not.

1. Click here

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

Bob,

Yes, they both work, with the first one a link to the vidoe. The second embeds the video here at Slotblog.

Gregory Wells

#8 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

Thanks, Greg,

For the #1 video I highlight the text, click the (chain) Link button and paste the copied URL.
For the #2 video I hit the BBCode Mode button and paste the copied URL.

I don't know anything about HXXP or where that comes from.
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

I explained it, Bob: "with the code "crippled" using "hxxp" and curly quotes instead of brackets so the code won't activate"

Gregory Wells

#10 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

I don't use the BBCode Mode button but rather the method I posted in post #1:

"... when [the video] is playing for you on the YouTube website, copy that URL and paste it into your post."

Gregory Wells

#11 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

Video playing-

URL copied by right clicking in the video then "copy video URL" and pasted without BBCode
 http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage

URL copied by right clicking in the address bar then pasted without BBCode

URL Pasted with BBCode activated

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#12 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

There may be a setting in your browser prefs that causes URLs to be parsed into links... Let me research that.

Gregory Wells

#13 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

Do any of those launch automatically?

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#14 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Only the last one embeds. The first two show as clickable links.

If I click on your first link to open that page at YouTube and click on the address field to select the URL, then paste it here, it pastes as a raw URL and does not get parsed into a clickable link. IPB then embeds the video, as shown below.

This is why I'm thinking it is a browser level setting that's causing your (and others) pasted links to become clickable.

I'm looking into this now...

Gregory Wells

#15 spudboy

spudboy

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Testing...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7fgfi3IjZeY

The above link to YouTube was created by right-clcking the address field in my browser, choosing "copy" while the video was being played in the YouTube interface, then, right-clicking in the SlotBlog "Reply to this topic" box and choosing "paste ...

The above link to youtube was created by right-clicking the video being displayed in YouTube and choosing "Copy video URL", then right-clicking and "pasting" into the SlotBlog "Reply to the topic" box

Note - last night, Greg, I sent you a message and did the first method as shown above, it appeared to me to "embed" the video in the message.  Upon observing this I attempted to do the same as I edited my post. It did not behave the same way and simply put the address in as a "clickable link".

I am doing all of this on an old Win XP machine running IE8 because my piece-of-crap Win 8.1 machine does not allow me to "paste" into anything but MS Word.

So I'm still confused... or stupid. Or both.

Nate "spudboy" Bemis

#16 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Nate,

I haven't yet figured out why some URLs that get pasted into posts are "parsed" into clickable links.

So let me give a work-around until I can get to the bottom of this behavior.

Lets assume that when you paste a YouTube URL into a post, it appears as a clickable link as shown below:

ss1.jpg

First drag your cursor over the link to highlight it, as shown in the next screenshot:

ss2.jpg

To "break" or remove the underlying code that makes this a clickable link, click the "Unlink" button, which is shown in the next screenshot circled in red.

ss3.jpg

Then your pasted text with look like below, in black and not underlined, to indicate that it is just text and not a link.

ss5.jpg

And after you press the "Post" button, the video is embedded, as shown below.

ss6.jpg

If the buttons are grayed-out, as shown below, click the "BBCode" switch button circled in red below, to activate the buttons.

ss8.jpg

Gregory Wells

#17 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

Parse 

No, this is not a typo of the word "sparse." The word "parse" means to analyze an object specifically. It is commonly used in computer science to refer to reading program code. For example, after a program is written, whether it be in C++, Java, or any other language, the code needs to be parsed by the compiler in order to be compiled. Web scripts, written in scripting languages such as Perl or PHP, need to be parsed on the Web server so that they can output the correct HTML to a user's browser.

Parsing can also refer to breaking up ordinary text. For example, search engines typically parse search phrases entered by users so that they can more accurately search for each word. Some programs can parse text documents and extract certain information like names or addresses. Spreadsheet programs can turn formatted documents into tables with rows and columns by parsing the text. As you can see, the ways to parse are clearly not sparse.

Crippled

Code 1-1 of 1

MIME-Tool for Email System Utilities 1.1 - Jeffrey Dutky

C/C++ / Email Systems

This is a mime encoding tool. The resulting program will compile on both the crippled C compilers bundled with some commercial *nix distributions, and on full ANSI/ISO C compilers like gcc.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#18 spudboy

spudboy

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

Another test...

pasted URL copied from browser address field, changed view in "Reply to this topic" to see underlying code, removed all extraneous characters except the actual url (hxxp://www...youtube...com/watch?v=7fgfi3IjZeY - with x sub for t and... added); posting now...

Nate "spudboy" Bemis

#19 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

Nate,

The procedure I give in post #16 does exactly the same thing as you did by manually removing the uneeded underlying code. It's just a faster and different way to accomplish the same thing.

When you toggle off the BBCode view, you are being shown the underlying code and the buttons are grayed-out because they aren't meant to work in the raw code view.

Gregory Wells

#20 spudboy

spudboy

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Thank you, kind sir!

Nate "spudboy" Bemis

#21 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

Since some members continue to find this process confusing, let me give an another example of how to post a YouTube video.

Over in the NorCal V-Town Rumble drag proxy race thread, DVan was having trouble embedding the YouTube video in a post. Using the embed URL he posted (in a post now deleted) I was able to get to the video at YouTube and noted that the video's title was "NORCAL V-TOWN RUMBLE VINTAGE DRAG RACE."

So I went to YouTube and entered "NorCal V-Town Rumble" in YouTube's search field and clicked the magnifying glass at the end of the field to perform the search. Here's what came up:

yt1.jpg

The second video down was the one I wanted, so I clicked on it to start it playing:

yt2.jpg

The URL circled in red is what I then highlighted and copied to paste into my post.

Notice what was posted is just the raw text "bare" URL; it is not a clickable link. Some browsers have a setting that automatically makes URLs into clickable links and if that's the situation for you, you need to remove or break the link as shown in post #16 above.

yt3.jpg

When I saved this post, the video automatically embedded, as can be seen in post #146 HERE.

As mentioned earlier, YouTube uses several URL formats that all go to the same video. For IP.Board to recognize a link as a YouTube video and automatically embed it, the link format has to be the one it knows. The process I give in this post will always generate a link that IP.Board recognizes.

Gregory Wells

#22 DVan

DVan

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

Test.

<-- wrong!

hxxps://www.youtube.com/embed/tzgGqugSsoE  <--wrong again!!! B)  Need to clean my glasses.

Cheater, when I copy and paste it is has it the same way you show below. I added the xx instead of the tt so you can see it...

LOL, I was reading it wrong, OK got it, no "embed" but "watch" is the keyword.

Thanks!!  :wacko2:

DVan

D van Moppes
Bracket500.com

#23 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

DVan,

It didn't work for you because you don't have the YouTube URL format IP.Board recognizes.

hxxps://www.youtube.com/embed/tzgGqugSsoE

See the word "embed" in the middle of your URL? That says it's not the correct URL. The correct URL will have the word "watch" in it.

Gregory Wells

#24 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:48 AM

Like this?

Paul Wolcott

#25 bluecars

bluecars

Checkered Flag in Hand