• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:58 AM

Dash Will be out with new Chassis in next couple weeks. All parts will interchange with Original Aurora TJET.

The first 10,000 will have three lam arms. 11.98 each Rumor has it after all these years NOS TJET Chassis are gone.

Dash has been & still Makes great bodies. I wish lenny luck.

SJJ

John Falzarano

#2 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

I sure hope they are better then the JL repros.
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#3 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hip Hip Horay!
Where are they sold?
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#4 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Dash Will be out with new Chassis in next couple weeks. All parts will interchange with Original Aurora TJET.

The first 10,000 will have three lam arms. 11.98 each Rumor has it after all these years NOS TJET Chassis are gone.

SJJ

I still have 1 case of the old T-jet chassis NOS

Karl Hoffheins

4/8/65-8/16/22
Requiescat in Pace

#5 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

SJJ

That is awesome hopefully they will be smooth running, good luck Lenny and hope they do well

Karl Hoffheins

4/8/65-8/16/22
Requiescat in Pace

#6 race301

race301

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Hip Hip Horay!
Where are they sold?

http://www.slotcarz.com/

Dave Laughlin

#7 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

From the look of the car in the photo, this could be one of the best deals in HO racing in my recent memory!

I could see making a whole spec series around these cars. A club could order a few dozen cars and just hand them out (you might get a good deal for a large "club" quantity) with lots of extra pickups!

Allow O-ring fronts (or not) and, if the rear tires are junk, allow a spec rear slip-on silicone tire, then don't touch the cars except at the track! All other parts (except, maybe, guide pins and body screws) must stay with the cars. Pick-up adjustments and scoring the motor brushes would be about the only tuning/mods that one could do at the track! 

Appoint a "Sergeant at Arms" to collect all of the cars at the end of the race in a locked box, then bring them early to the race meets and hand out the cars again, your car identified by the unique (model or paint) T-Jet or Dash body of your choice.

Race them until they start to slow down and then clean and fresh them all up as a club! Years of evenly matched fun - potentially, new winners! If your car is a "pig", you get to swap with one of the unused cars!

Keep it in the slot,

AJ

• Joe Mig likes this

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#8 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Lenny said all parts are shipped now , it took 4 weeks longer to attach Electricals on bottom. When arrive he will have the Balance to put togeather. so should be soon.

SJJ

John Falzarano

#9 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

I am not so sure that all of the NOS HO chassis are gone. We keep hearing rumors of 2 old shipping (literally, from a ship) containers that were never unloaded that are full to the top with boxes of new T-jet chassis. Maybe these rumors just help keep the prices of the NOS T-jets as low as they are because they are still desirable, particularly the old "truck" chassis with the big wheels (supposed to be straighter and tougher than the average car chassis). But, every once in a while, someone opens a case and sells them off, so ...

Still, I am looking forward to the Dash chassis standardizing the parts, magnets and arms - it would be the basis of a great spec racing class, even if the chassis went up to $25. New manufacturing techniques make the magnets and magnet matching a non-issue and it costs the same to wind an arm to a "good" recipe (think "Mean Green") as to live with the slower, old T-jet spec arms, just as long as they are all exactly the same!

Keep it in the slot,

AJ

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#10 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

AJ,

I was messing with a calculator. a box off 100 Chassis is only 2 1/4 tall X 7 5/8 deep X 11 1/2 inches wide. Say a Trailer is 40 ft X 7 ft hign X 7 wide.

I come up with about 1,100,000 Chassis per container. WOW lets find them.

SJJ

• Joe Mig likes this
John Falzarano

#11 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Does this Dash chassis/car use "magna-traction"?

Just wondering if there is a market for a brass pan for it.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#12 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

SJJ,

That's why I think it is just a rumor. I personally think there are, maybe, 20 boxes stashed away in the corners of closed hardware stores. Some people stashed them away for notions of collectible value. I remember seeing what was probably a gross of the T-jet Good Humor Ice Cream Trucks. I won't say who it is because he is probably releasing them slowly on e-Bay.

Mike,

The Dash chassis is a re-creation of the T-Jet chassis, intended for full forward and backward compatibility with T-jet parts - no Magna-Traction.

You are describing the old T-jet brass pans made by AJ's (and other companies) back in the day. Since they reside under the chassis (and are conductive), it requires lifting them up in the air and using bigger tires. I have not seen any clubs that established a racing class with an underside pan being the hot ticket but they might be out there...

Always the entrepreneur! I love it!

AJ

#13 Pat McGee

Pat McGee

Representative for the Guild of Calamitous Intent

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

I can't wait to carve one up to build a gravity car.....  If he uses his usual magnets they'll be on par or better than most vintage Super II's.

BTW, AJ, mark Thu Feb 20th on your calendar.... the "Eagles" will land in Denver.

What's all this brouhaha?

I'm told I have a face for radio and a voice that belongs in the newspaper...

Follow me for fun! Go slot car racing!

#14 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Mike,

You are describing the old T-jet brass pans made by AJ's (and other companies) back in the day. Since they reside under the chassis (and are conductive), it requires lifting them up in the air and using bigger tires. I have not seen any clubs that established a racing class with an underside pan being the hot ticket but they might be out there...

AJ

A.J.,

FWIW, as far as HO stuff, you don't have to post like I just fell off of the turnip truck.  LOL

Joel Pennington and Mark Rosenwinkel use to come in the hobby shop I worked in to get TCP and  Bronze Man parts, along with K & K armatures,

and I traveled with them to Michigan HOPRA races, and was moved up to Pro before I got interested in other things.

• sidejobjon likes this

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#15 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

Is a turnip truck a short-haul version of the banana boat?

Great news for the HO folks. Wonder if you could just mass produce 3d printed chassis?

Dennis David

#16 ajd350

ajd350

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

Does this Dash chassis/car use "magna-traction"?

Just wondering if there is a market for a brass pan for it.

I think with the strength of the magnets we now have, that brass pans will never make a comeback unless a minimum ride height rule is in play. My best old builds with Quadralams and Super II magnets get their clocks cleaned by the least of my Fray cars. I always liked brass pan TJets, but their time has passed.

Al DeYoung

#17 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Mike,

I apologize profusely. I have never heard you utter one word one way or another about HO stuff - I figured you had no use for them. I just didn't know about your history so thanks for the update.

Racing is racing. Some people HAVE to run the fastest classes, some HAVE to the be fastest in any class, some HAVE to win. I like merely being in the hunt; maybe somewhere in the top third of the pack in a very close 15 man T-jet race is a fine evening of racing. If you want a test of your finesse and racecraft, the pancake motor classes and gravity classes will be a fine challenge for any racer.

That's why I find these Dash cars a potential national class if a standard set of rules are created (look at the rules for the FRHO Johnny Lightning Spec class for a good starting point) and the quality control of the arms and other running parts are good and don't escalate with each new version (I feel that has been a down side of the whole G-jet concept corrupted by the very people who created the concept, again, just my opinion).

These Dash cars won't make any commercial track owners rich but, if one had an HO track, someone could buy a car off the wall and immediately compete with results reflecting their weekly improving driving skill level and a chance to move to the front without a huge outlay of cash. That is what captures a lot of new racers, IMO.

Keep it in the slot (you'll have more fun and may acquire more friends than enemies),

AJ

#18 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

Mike,

I apologize profusely. I have never heard you utter one word one way or another about HO stuff - I figured you had no use for them. I just didn't know about your history so thanks for the update.

NBD.

They moved me up to Pro (or Expert ??) after I finished (2nd or) 3rd to Kim Bartholomew, and possibly one of his sidekicks, at a race at Steve Brown's house.

I drifted out, getting involved with competitive Co-rec volleyball.

Way more girls, although the sister of the Bronzeman's right hand man, was "a little bit of OK". LOL

Mike Swiss

#19 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

Girls and volleyball are a dangerous combination. LOL

Dennis David

#20 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

001 (600 x 450).jpg

These Dash cars will be great for retro style cars. The blue one above in the middle is an Auto World car. It will have all bushings to straighten it out.

Dennis, LANDSHARK has an improved version of the classic Tjet handling pan available from Lucky Bob , Ebay or PM me.

assembled pan.jpg

So what is faster ? A retro Tjet/Dash or a Fray spec racer?  Could be close.  The retro car has an advantage with pan, lexan body and a low ohm, more powerful motor, so choice of track is important. A track with lot of straights will kill the 16 ohm Fray cars.

The retro HO cars are a hoot with modern controllers.

• ajd350 likes this
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
My link

#21 ajd350

ajd350

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:12 AM

Interesting, Al. I never built what I'd consider a state of the art pro-type car back in the day. It would be interesting indeed to see how the two different approaches stack up head to head on a variety of layouts. I'd agree that tracks biased to long straights would play to the hot motored cars. We are waiting with curiosity to see where ther Dash chassis fits into the racing picture. My guess is that they will find a home, but not necessarily in all TJet classes.
Al DeYoung

#22 Ralphthe3rd

Ralphthe3rd

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

The T-Dash Chassis are now trickling out to the Public from the Three distributors (ie- JAG Hobbies, Slots~N~Stuff, and Tom Stumpf).

1506540_10200646689048186_211599949_n.jp

Note the Comparo pic above shows Prototype Top, and Production Chassis below...

1618435_10200641488918186_364238172_n.jp

Here's a couple of pix of the final Production chassis (not the prototype with wider tires/wheels).

1800377_10200641495878360_998420958_n.jp

~ Ralph R. Rosson III Posted Image

#23 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• Member at Peace
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

They have shipped..... if you got on "The List" early. I waz gone on a travel quest last week so mine comes next week.

Barney Poynor
12/26/51-1/31/22
Requiescat in Pace

#24 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

You can bet they will be better than the Auto World and Playing Mantis cars. Oh , such a low bar!

I cant wait to check one out and I cannot wish them well enough with this endeavor, something like 10 K units! .  :good: 

Al Thurman
My link

#25 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

I was lucky enough to get one last weekend at the B,B slot car show for 12.00. I did not get to run it on the track but I did run it next to a new JL chassis and it was totally diffrent in rpm and smooth . Two thumbs up ... Now to break in the gears.
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Electric Dreams Online Shop