• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Waldmann

Glenn Waldmann

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Any opinions out there on airbrush compressors? (!)

I have an Iwata Eclipse airbrush, a nice one, which I used years ago for static models with those annoying canned air propellants.

I want to paint slot car bodies now and a compressor is obviously the way to go.

I wonder about capacity: the lower end models seem to go to about 18 psi, the somewhat higher end to about 30–35 psi. Some have adjustable regulators, some don't.

Just what is really necessary here?

For me, small size is an even greater consideration than cost. I'm drawn to the lowest end ones because they are very dinky. But would I instantly regret such a choice?

Thanks to all.

#2 Les Boyd

Les Boyd

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

Consider that you may want or need to have a compressor that will handle pressures up to 50psi. I have found that some of the paint out there today (Parma Faskolor) work better at higher pressures.

#3 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

I've got this one--I LOVE it because it is quiet and does everything I need for painting with an airbrush at a very economical price for it's quality!!

http://www.tcpglobal...CFUQ6Qgodj1wAfQ

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#4 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Try Harbor Freight Tools.

Same item as above for less money:

http://www.harborfre...ssor-69433.html

Bought one there for $59 or less. Qiuet. Watch for sales there or a 25% off coupon.

This is the next step up from canned air but does not have a higher psi output than about 35psi

You might consider:

http://www.harborfre...ssor-68149.html

will run other air tools, too. Has adjustable output. Louder running than above.

So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

#5 Duffy

Duffy

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

I may not be doing it right, so take my comments with a grain or two of salt:

I push Parma/Createx acrylics full-strength through my Iwata Revolution at 40psi and it works just fine for slotcar bodies. The brush does not give me real fine lines, and I'll probably look for a better one this year - but I do love the Iwata products. I think if I wanted real fine stuff again like what I did on static models, I'd buy a real good brush and go to lacquers & enamels. Water's just too thick a medium for the teeny stuff.

I have the next-up Master compressor, same machine but with a 1.5L tank. Without a tank, the compressor's running all the time (or, like me, you hook a foot pedal into the circuit!). It's done great for me these last two years.

If I need to replace a diaphragm or something, I'd feel safer going through a domestic house than one of the importers, but you might find a good way to do that with HF or TCP if you do some homework up front.

Duf

Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#6 Chad B

Chad B

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

I probably have the same one as Duffy. It's a Master with a tank. I've had it about two years with no problems. Having a tank takes out the pulsing you may get with the tankless variety. I used an old Porter Cable pancake style for years with good results but it was incredibly loud. What ever you get I would make sure it can maintain 40- 50 psi so you can spray water based paints as some of the solvents seem to be going away. House of Kolor is maintaining there solvent base according to there sales rep at SEMA last year. So if you invest in the HOK system you can run lower pressures.

Chad

Chad Brown

#7 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

Just in case your interested there is a Harbor Freight Tools located in Red Hook Brooklyn off 3 rd ave and Hamilton ave.
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#8 Duffy

Duffy

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

...Also, mine's plenty quiet enough to tolerate, & I'm normally pretty intolerant about those things.

Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#9 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the info on the particular compressor you use Duffy :good: been looking at a starter kit with the very same compressor in , been wondering what it was like before purchasing :)

Perfect for laying down some color for the first time.

#10 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

I"ve also got this one--- I use it for blowing off my 1/5 scale RC cars.  I got it after my airbrush pump----and it would work very nicely--it's just not as compact---but will do a nice job!!

http://www.harborfre...ssor-97080.html

She's real fine, my 409!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop